Gibson Brands Forums

Does your wife/girlfriend love guitars?

pearhie

My bride loves me to play guitar...not all that happy about how many I have.

I've told this story here before.... when we met (1976) I only had an old Gibson Jubilee...and I told her my 'dream guitar' was a Hummingbird.ย  I used to play one we had in a music store I worked in as a kid.

So,ย  after we were married, we didn't have a pot to pee in...but she somehow bought me a Gibson Dove.ย ย  She remembered I told her I wanted a Gibson "bird" guitar of some sort, so she got me a Dove, instead of a Hummingbird.ย ย  It's a very special guitar to me, since she sacrificed so much to buy it for me.

My wife loved when I'd play my guitar.ย  She once had aspirations of learning to play, but didn't take to the idea of building callouses on her fingers.ย  And......

She didn't like my using Elixir strings because she thought that "squeak"ย  caused by moving hands and fingers up the fret board made it sound like a "real guitar"!ย ย \:D/

Whitefang

my wife is great with my git habits, her birthday just past and she asked our oldest to get her a Gibson hoodie like mine. sheย  dosntย  play - still letsย ย me pay !

2 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

And is the OP assuming we here are all ย male ? ย  ย  And/or have wives and/orย girlfriends? ย  It's very confusing. ย 

Does Bruce (Caitlyn)Jenner play guitar and what exactly is IT now?

In answer to the original question, no, my wife doesn't love guitars.

She doesn't hate them either, but is merely indifferent.ย 

I play four and other than knowing that I do, and how many I have, she has no other interest in them or curiosity about them.

RBSinTo

Yes, She looks at guitars as art and loves when I'm looking for a new one. She's also become my concert buddy since my brother got married 8 years ago. We've seen some great shows together, McCartney, Billy Joel, Brian Wilson, Paul Simon, The Who, Brian Setzer, The Police to name a few. For years she came out on weekends to hear me play in the clubs. She's my biggest fan and the love of my life.

• Like 2

Well? Actually I never asked her if she liked them or not. Before we got married I drag Raced and sold most of my guitars except for 2. ย She complained about the Amp I had at that time because it was so huge. ย At the time, she didn't like me racing as at one race, the car broke a wheelie bar and went up pretty high and when it came back down it broke one of the Koni shocks on the front. ย That almost sent me in the corn field that was there. ย Since that time she has bought me 7 of my 9 guitars so I would venture she loves the guitars. She says she likes hearing me playing while she sews on her quilts.ย 

• Like 2

I'm guessing she'd rather sew quilts while hearing you play your guitars than quilting in your hospital room while waiting for you to wake up from the coma you went into from a drag racing accident.ย ย [wink]

Whitefang

I met my wife in 9th grade (Spring 1973).ย  By then I was well on my way as a guitarist, got my first guitar for my 8th birthday,ย  ย so she knew what she was getting into!

She actually has developed an ear for gutiars tho..ย  One day we were listening to Spotify,ย  the Dilbert McClinton band was playing in the rotation.ย 

ย There was a pretty good guitar solo going on in this particularย song, she said "That sounds like a telecaster!"...

my chin kind of hit the floor...ย  ย I just said "yes,,, as a matter of fact, that IS a telecaster.."ย ย 

!!!!!RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kidblast said:

She actually has developed an ear for gutiars tho..ย  One day we were listening to Spotify,ย  the Dilbert McClinton band was playing in the rotation.ย 

ย There was a pretty good guitar solo going on in this particularย song, she said "That sounds like a telecaster!"...

my chin kind of hit the floor...ย  ย I just said "yes,,, as a matter of fact, that IS a telecaster.."ย ย 

!!!!!RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!

Kid,ย  my best friend (now passed) cut a record and was playing it for me several years ago.

The guitar sounded very much like a tele, (sounded like a single-pole bridge pick-up..... lots of treble).

I asked him if it was a tele....he said , no...it was a 335!ย ย  (guess I have ZERO ear!).

17 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Kid,ย  my best friend (now passed) cut a record and was playing it for me several years ago.

The guitar sounded very much like a tele, (sounded like a single-pole bridge pick-up..... lots of treble).

I asked him if it was a tele....he said , no...it was a 335!ย ย  (guess I have ZERO ear!).

Ouch!!!ย  I suppose I could have gone down the same path,ย  but it "sure sounded like a tele" to me!! LOL!

ย 

My wife used to love listening to me sing & play Guitar. Thatโ€™s how we met.. She still does after all these years.. Does she love the Guitars? Fast forward many years.......

Now She says, โ€œHow many Guitars do you need?โ€, โ€œYou donโ€™t need any more Guitarsโ€, โ€œYou can only play one at a timeโ€, โ€œYou donโ€™t even have any room for another oneโ€..ย 

Iโ€™d have to say sheโ€™s not passionate about them....ย 

Edited by Larsongs

Just now, Larsongs said:

My wife used to love listening to me sing & play Guitar. Thatโ€™s how we met.. She still does after all these years.. Does she love the Guitars? Fast forward many years.......

Now She says, โ€œHow many Guitars do you need?โ€, โ€œYou donโ€™t need any more Guitarsโ€, โ€œYou can only play one at a timeโ€, โ€œYou donโ€™t even have any room for another oneโ€..ย 

Iโ€™d have to say sheโ€™s not passionate about them....ย 

Lars, I have pretty much the same issue.ย ย ย  When my wife and I first met, I brought her to my house and played piano and guitar for her....so she knew what she was getting into.ย ย ย 

Now, 40+ years later, we live in a pretty big house....just the two of us.ย ย  There were guitars stuck in closets, and corners all over the house.... she wanted them somehow put away.

I took my son's old room, and turned it into a music room for me....ALL my guitars are now in there....so she's happy...along with most of my amps, PA, etc.ย ย  I have one small amp in the living room behind the baby grand, so it's out of her sight..... my Dual Showman is too big for the music room, so it's behind the door in the office....again....pretty much out of sight.ย 

So, she doesn't care if I get more guitars, I just have to be able to find a place to put them.

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

โ€œHow many Guitars do you need?โ€, "You can only play one at a time".

I once read on this forum that the answer to that question should be, "How many pairs of shoes do YOUย need?ย  You can only wear one pair at a time".ย ๐Ÿ˜

ย 

ย 

On 6/2/2021 at 6:46 AM, pearhie said:

I wonder how many girls are Gibson fans ๐Ÿ˜„

Well, I think the wives of the forum's members is a pretty select group of the overall group of "girls."ย  ๐Ÿ˜‰ย  But no, Mrs. Cougar is not real fond of my guitars, but she does like the look of my Epiphone Dot CH (cherry), particularly in its hard shell tweed case with the bright red interior.ย  She said "keep that one."ย  ๐Ÿ˜

ย 

ย 

Edited by Cougar