Gibson Brands Forums

Does your wife/girlfriend love guitars?

pearhie

26 minutes ago, Fish Crumpet said:

Perhaps I was thinking about the BS that became the "it's just like the 'flu" mantra on right wing media.

Time has proven that this has not been the case,

Yes, Covid-19 and influenze can have similar symptoms, but the long-terrm effects of the former have not been apparent in the latter. The distinction proves a difference.

👍

So... basically you're saying COVID IS like a 'bad flu"!

On 6/3/2021 at 12:26 PM, DanvillRob said:

That's just sad....I'm sorry.... just sad.

It could be worse.  The other day she goes "That song that you guys play that drones on and on and on (quickly identified as 'All Blues') is the worst song I've ever heard."    😆

11 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I remember the days when everybody seemed to smoke.

As a sax/flute player and singer, I quit smoking in the 1970s. So when I would get home, I'd put the gear and my clothes in a utility room overnight with an open bowl  or two of white vinegar. It gets most of the odor out.

I remember having a regular gig at a private club in the 1990s. There was a woman who would always sit at a table stage-right of the bandstand. We called her "The Chimney". She chain-smoked all night long.

I'm glad people have to go outdoors to smoke now.

Insights and incites by Notes

I never did, when my parents had the house built for them where my mom is still at;  When they went back for another load I stayed behind. I found a used pack of ciggarettes left by a worker and decided to try one to see what it was like. I must have been 8 or 9 if I can remember? Anyway, it was winter and I stepped out on the back porch to light it up. I remember inhaling and coughed so bad I thought I was going to die as it took my breath away.  I tossed it out in the yard of snow and never touched another cigarette ever again. 

On 6/5/2021 at 5:03 PM, Whitefang said:

In that Dylan thread, many chimed in about how God-awful they thought Dylan's "singing" voice is.  But that's probably because those guys never heard ME  viciously destroy a perfectly good song!  [cool]

Whitefang 

I had no notion my infamy was so widespread.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Retired said:

I never did, when my parents had the house built for them where my mom is still at;  When they went back for another load I stayed behind. I found a used pack of ciggarettes left by a worker and decided to try one to see what it was like. I must have been 8 or 9 if I can remember? Anyway, it was winter and I stepped out on the back porch to light it up. I remember inhaling and coughed so bad I thought I was going to die as it took my breath away.  I tossed it out in the yard of snow and never touched another cigarette ever again. 

I fell into peer and sibling pressure. But when I learned to play flute and got dizzy, I thought playing music was more important than looking cool.

Notes

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Retired said:

Good for you Bob. 

Thanks.

Besides, I also played  saxophone, bass, rhythm guitar and occasionally drums on stage when I was in the band where I bought the flute. So I figured that was cool enough.

Later we hired a guy who had a Farfisa Organ and he also played guitar. So I learned to play organ on a few songs. Switching instruments by most of the players in that band impressed people and was good show-biz. I remember doing one song that had a psychedelic break in it, mostly noise, and I would kick my boot off and "play" the organ with my foot (mostly glissandos). Some non-musicial people were impressed that I could play with my foot.

The flute uses more air than any other instrument. That's because all the air doesn't go through the flute. And a new player who hasn't developed a good embouchure yet wastes a lot of air until he/she practices for quite a few hours.

I learned to play rhythm guitar because every music writer doesn't have the good sense to put a sax part in every song, and we were doing covers. So the guitarist taught me major, minor, dominant seventh, and minor seventh bar chords. That was enough for most rock songs that I would double on. I later bought ny own guitar and much later took it up seriously.

In that same band the bass player played guitar, so I would jump on the bass while he took a spotlight I got to play bass, which I like very much. During the psychedelic years, when nobody wanted to hear sax, I played bass for a living.

Being a musical chameleon is good for getting work in changing times.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 1

GOD, NOTES !  I remember those cheezy sounding Farfisa organs.  In one band of mine, our keys player was a guy whose previous musical training was on an accordion.  But, in order to be in the band he shelled out for the Farfisa.  

We used to razz him from time to time at "practices" by constantly reminding him, when we played a tune with an organ solo, to not regress and start playing "Lady Of Spain"  (a common accordion favorite).  [flapper]  He'd just glare a bit and keep going.  But one time, when we did get a "gig" at a basement party at a girl we knew's house, we again were playing a tune that had an organ solo(nope, don't recall the tune) and again we teased him a bit by telling  him not to start playing "Lady Of Spain".  So, the big moment came, and when the rest of us toned down for his solo, he loudly went into a rendition of "The Beer Barrel Polka"!   Then looked up from his organ and yelled, "Happy NOW, MOTHER F***KERS?"   \:D/

We quit teasing him after that.  [wink]

Whitefang

14 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

GOD, NOTES !  I remember those cheezy sounding Farfisa organs.  In one band of mine, our keys player was a guy whose previous musical training was on an accordion.  But, in order to be in the band he shelled out for the Farfisa.  

We used to razz him from time to time at "practices" by constantly reminding him, when we played a tune with an organ solo, to not regress and start playing "Lady Of Spain"  (a common accordion favorite).  [flapper]  He'd just glare a bit and keep going.  But one time, when we did get a "gig" at a basement party at a girl we knew's house, we again were playing a tune that had an organ solo(nope, don't recall the tune) and again we teased him a bit by telling  him not to start playing "Lady Of Spain".  So, the big moment came, and when the rest of us toned down for his solo, he loudly went into a rendition of "The Beer Barrel Polka"!   Then looked up from his organ and yelled, "Happy NOW, MOTHER F***KERS?"   \:D/

We quit teasing him after that.  [wink]

Whitefang

I can't ID this organ...I do know it sounded pretty cheezy.... This girl only played one or two gigs with us....we knew she simply didn't 'fit'.   This was taken at the Officer's Club at Moffett Field, probably in 1965.

May be an image of one or more people, people standing and indoor

23 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I can't ID this organ...I do know it sounded pretty cheezy.... This girl only played one or two gigs with us....we knew she simply didn't 'fit'.   This was taken at the Officer's Club at Moffett Field, probably in 1965.

May be an image of one or more people, people standing and indoor

Is Moffett Field even there anymore?

On 6/10/2021 at 7:54 AM, Whitefang said:

Perhaps a larger image might help?  [wink]

Whitefang

That's the only photo I have....I know our keyboard guy played a VOX organ.....and I recall the Farfesia Organs were grey....so I don't recognize this one.   

On 6/10/2021 at 8:05 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Is Moffett Field even there anymore?

Not sure.... you'll recall they had the HUGE blimp hanger there....you could see it from Highway 101.   I know the Navy base is long gone, as are Hunter's Point, Mare Island, Alameda Naval Air Station, Treasure Island, Oak Knoll Naval Hospital....all of which we used to play, (I've probably forgotten a few).

Yes she loves listening to guitars, No complaints when I play but she loves the professionals playing more so. You know, like The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and all the great bands.  But when I play, I have no one to back me up so she gets what she gets Lol. 

• Haha 1

I played my girlfriend Slash's solo into the Godfather Theme from the 1992 UYI Tokyo concert for the first time the other day. She said it was a racket and she didn't like it. I asked could she not appreciate the skill involved, but she didn't reply. I don't understand as it was always one of my favourite solos. Thankfully she likes Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Tracy Chapman and a lot of other good music though.

Edited by cody78

18 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Not sure.... you'll recall they had the HUGE blimp hanger there....you could see it from Highway 101.   I know the Navy base is long gone, as are Hunter's Point, Mare Island, Alameda Naval Air Station, Treasure Island, Oak Knoll Naval Hospital....all of which we used to play, (I've probably forgotten a few).

When I was in USCG I was stationed at the USCG Base in Alameda from '94 - '97. I know the Navy Base there has been long gone as well as  is TI. I got discharged from Treasure Island when I got out of the Navy in '91. 

Moffett, if I am correct used to be the home of the legendary Blue Angels.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When I was in USCG I was stationed at the USCG Base in Alameda from '94 - '97. I know the Navy Base there has been long gone as well as  is TI. I got discharged from Treasure Island when I got out of the Navy in '91. 

Moffett, if I am correct used to be the home of the legendary Blue Angels.

I simply don't know.... I recall as a kid in the SF Bay Area...there were "War Birds" in the sky almost all the time.   I even recall jets flying very high breaking the sound barrier!   (I think they restricted that to areas not populated very quickly).