Gibson Brands Forums

Does your wife/girlfriend love guitars?

pearhie

18 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I simply don't know.... I recall as a kid in the SF Bay Area...there were "War Birds" in the sky almost all the time.   I even recall jets flying very high breaking the sound barrier!   (I think they restricted that to areas not populated very quickly).

Yeah.  In the downriver Detroit area I grew up in there's further down the Detroit river, an island community called GROSSE ILE.  And at it's southern tip used to be a Naval air base(now a municipal airport, where the Goodyear blimp would moor when in town for the Grand Prix race) We used to watch those jet fighters fly over and would also hear the occasional sonic boom. Add those to the ground shakes when the salt mine, located in Southwest Detroit but that stretched out underground for up to 30 miles in all directions, would do their blasting and it wasn't your typical childhood lifestyle. [wink]

Whitefang

On 6/9/2021 at 11:57 AM, DanvillRob said:

I can't ID this organ...I do know it sounded pretty cheezy.... This girl only played one or two gigs with us....we knew she simply didn't 'fit'.   This was taken at the Officer's Club at Moffett Field, probably in 1965.

May be an image of one or more people, people standing and indoor

Looks like a Farfisa.

Yes, they sounded cheesy. The best thing about them was that you could make them sound like the Vox Continental, which also sounded very cheesy but was on a lot of pop recordings of the day.

As we left that music behind, our keyboard player eventually got a 435 pound Hammond B3 organ, which I had to help schlep. God, I missed that Farfisa. 😉

Notes

4 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Looks like a Farfisa.

Yes, they sounded cheesy. The best thing about them was that you could make them sound like the Vox Continental, which also sounded very cheesy but was on a lot of pop recordings of the day.

As we left that music behind, our keyboard player eventually got a 435 pound Hammond B3 organ, which I had to help schlep. God, I missed that Farfisa. 😉

Notes

Roadies are a good thing!    (we had them...but back then we called them "Band-Aids").

36 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

We called the lovely ladies who used to be attracted to and often go home with musicians "Band-Aids"  -  but then, we didn't have Roadies. 😄

Well....we called those "Groupies".... and unfortunately, I married one.....when I got out of music....she remained a "Groupie" (if you know what I mean).

13 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When I was in USCG I was stationed at the USCG Base in Alameda from '94 - '97. I know the Navy Base there has been long gone as well as  is TI. I got discharged from Treasure Island when I got out of the Navy in '91. 

Moffett, if I am correct used to be the home of the legendary Blue Angels.

Deb & I got to see the Blue Angels practice when our son was stationed at Pensacola.  That was so cool and we went back for another show the next day. Mostly just the kids parents the're watching. 

On 6/12/2021 at 12:21 AM, cody78 said:

I played my girlfriend Slash's solo into the Godfather Theme from the 1992 UYI Tokyo concert for the first time the other day. She said it was a racket and she didn't like it. I asked could she not appreciate the skill involved, but she didn't reply. I don't understand as it was always one of my favourite solos. Thankfully she likes Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Tracy Chapman and a lot of other good music though.

If the music doesn't reach you, the skill involved to produce it becomes irrelevant.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Well....we called those "Groupies".... and unfortunately, I married one.....when I got out of music....she remained a "Groupie" (if you know what I mean).

For my second wife, I opted for another professional musician. I had no intention of getting out of music.

The first marriage failed for many reasons, and one of them was after marriage me being a night person (musician) and here a day person, made the other problems we had even worse. We're still friendly (thankfully) but we were both too young and didn't know what we wanted and more importantly, what we didn't want.

For the second wife I decided she would have to be in the biz, she would have to NOT have the traits I didn't like about the first one, and in the end, I just got really, really lucky.

Insights and incites by Notes

26 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

For my second wife, I opted for another professional musician. I had no intention of getting out of music.

The first marriage failed for many reasons, and one of them was after marriage me being a night person (musician) and here a day person, made the other problems we had even worse. We're still friendly (thankfully) but we were both too young and didn't know what we wanted and more importantly, what we didn't want.

For the second wife I decided she would have to be in the biz, she would have to NOT have the traits I didn't like about the first one, and in the end, I just got really, really lucky.

Insights and incites by Notes

For sure, we both got lucky (smart?) with our second wives.   My wife (43 years) saved my life....I'm certain I'd be dead or in a corner somewhere trying to control my drool without her.   My wife's mother taught me a great deal about money, sometimes I think she loved me more than my own mother!  My wife is the night person.... she probably goes to sleep at 12 or 1 AM....I'm to bed and asleep before 10....I get up about 5 AM and have my mornings to myself..... we've been in lockdown for over a year, and we've never even gotten in each other's way once!   Congratz, Notes that you found the perfect Mrs. Notes!

• Like 2

DAN, I've often claimed I might not be around today if not for my second wife.

I was in such a dark place when we first met(and since had often mentioned my "dark cloud" she saw over me) and she quickly snatched me out of that place and gripped my heart so tightly that I couldn't get back to that place even if I wanted to(which I didn't) I often thought I couldn't live without her, but since her passing nearly three years ago, I often realize I HAVEN'T been without her. So often is she in the way I do things, and in my reveries that I'm really never without her.  Now.....

We've all heard people bandy about the term "soulmate".  But I can honestly say that Alicia was never my "soulmate."  ....

She was (and is) my SOUL!

Whitefang

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

DAN, I've often claimed I might not be around today if not for my second wife.

I was in such a dark place when we first met(and since had often mentioned my "dark cloud" she saw over me) and she quickly snatched me out of that place and gripped my heart so tightly that I couldn't get back to that place even if I wanted to(which I didn't) I often thought I couldn't live without her, but since her passing nearly three years ago, I often realize I HAVEN'T been without her. So often is she in the way I do things, and in my reveries that I'm really never without her.  Now.....

We've all heard people bandy about the term "soulmate".  But I can honestly say that Alicia was never my "soulmate."  ....

She was (and is) my SOUL!

Whitefang

White...I'm so sorry to hear this.... what a blessing that she was in your life.    I know in my head that ALL relationships must end....but in my heart, I dread that day, (unless I go first...then all bets are off!).  I'm sure she's in a better place and you'll see her again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My wife does like my guitars, but I pity her when she has to listen to me learn a song and I'm constantly screwing it up over and over.

Boy, that's the truth!    It's a good think I get up several hours before her....so I have time to work out some of the 'fills' for songs....I'm DEFINITELY not a lead.....so I struggle with those.