Gibson Brands Forums

The mighty F-bird in all its glory

E-minor7

Not seldom have I spoken about the Gibson Custom Firebird as pure royalty. But rarely if ever have I seen/heard it demonstrated as clearly as here. 

The tune ends with some sort a new-age part, which in this case keeps from bein' just a strrrange'n'otherly show-off. Instead we get a fine last half of the piece - poetic and expressive.                                                                                                                                                              Worth waiting for indeed - both the alternative playing and the film itself.

Erica Cho ~ Enjoy 

A bit too "new age-ish" for me as well but that young lady does have an approach and style.  Some of those left hand stretches looked downright painful for my old gnarled hands.   But  using her thumb to get that percussive click on the low end was annoying enough to get me to turn the video off.

I didn't see the richlite; just assumed it was like my 2010, which is either rosewood or ebony.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          What I did see though, is the fact that the fret-ends aren't covered by the neck-bindings.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Oooooh, that certain sometimes forgotten detail. Mine has it and it's appreciate on my TV Birds too. 

What I like about Cho's piece of music is that it's so melodic and soulful, not just a technical circus, but already said that in post 1. The way she taps the bass slightly sour both note- and pitch wise in the end intrigues me too. It 'disturbs' the traditional over-worldly beauty of this type of playing and creates expressive suspense. 

Here she is again. This time on a Hummingbird. A clear oriental aerosol hovers over the tune - no percussive excess, , , but lots of tranquil.                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

WORLD LISTEN and RELAX

Listened to and loved both.   Heard a commonality in theme between the two.  Yes, tranquil with Oriental overtones.     I much preferred the H'Bird tone to the Dove - hopefully not biased because of the percussion. And, overall the second performance.      Apparently something wrong with my H'Bird: Never sounded like hers.  Of course, her fingers are twice as long. They just look artistic.  And, then there's her unbelievable talent that could account for it.  Thanks for posting.   

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 8:19 PM, E-minor7 said:

Not seldom have I spoken about the Gibson Custom Firebird as pure royalty. But rarely if ever have I seen/heard it demonstrated as clearly as here. 

The tune ends with some sort a new-age part, which in this case keeps from bein' just a strrrange'n'otherly show-off. Instead we get a fine last half of the piece - poetic and expressive.                                                                                                                                                              Worth waiting for indeed - both the alternative playing and the film itself.

Erica Cho ~ Enjoy 

If that is a demonstration, then it is a demonstration of how the long scale Firebird acoustic can cover more bases than what most would think it could do, and to many, that is enough. Personally, it is hard to relate. Royalty? Is she playing to the maple, or just doing her avant thing, regardless of the bird-in-hand? . I actually liked the 2nd part, when considered in the culture from which it came. . . for the sake of perspective,  'had me looking at more YouTubes for traditional Japanese percussion pieces- then came the Hummingbird video, leaving no doubt. Just check the comments written in tategaki for both,  on the  YouTube. 

And- I must be so lame. . .  I've never heard a Hummingbird sound like that. Steely, as it was (?).

Edited by 62burst

I kind of found the music relaxing.   Some of her finger stretches are amazing.  I don’t know if I could stretch my arms that far.  I thought the added percussion was pretty cool.  She’s certainly a better guitar player than I am.  She’s prettier too!

On 6/6/2021 at 5:52 PM, 62burst said:

Personally, it is hard to relate. Royalty?

And- I must be so lame. . .  I've never heard a Hummingbird sound like that. Steely, as it was (?).

Hmmm, , , I see what you mean, but try to hear it again while thinking D-28 or J-45 for that matter and you'll sense how the light birdish timbre lifts this performance .                                                                                                    The seconds between 0:56 and 1:06 shows a lot of Bird - and listening closer it's there the whole way through. 

But yes, it's a very well miked up and new-string-brittle piece of music. But done on a D-18 or a J-180 Everly, , , NO !

When using the terms royal/royalty/majestic/majesty about the F-bird (which I've done a lot here), it's typically pointed toward the big, heavy, distinguished, therefor slow, limo-like Gibson dread appearance - - opposed to fx the boldly galloping workhorses from both Bozeman and Nazareth, the much faster Bird or of course the snappy sometimes raw small body guitars. 

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Hmmm, , , I see what you mean, but try to hear it again while thinking D-28 or J-45 for that matter and you'll sense how the light birdish timbre lifts this performance .                                                                                                    The seconds between 0:56 and 1:06 shows a lot of Bird - and listening closer it's there the whole way through. 

But yes, it's a very well miked up and new-string-brittle piece of music. But done on a D-18 or a J-180 Everly, , , NO !

:56 ->1:06- Strum The Strummer, sister, and I will hear the 'Bird.

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

When using the terms royal/royalty/majestic/majesty about the F-bird (which I've done a lot here), it's typically pointed toward the big, heavy, distinguished, therefor slow, limo-like Gibson dread appearance - - opposed to fx the boldly galloping workhorses from both Bozeman and Nazareth, the much faster Bird or of course the snappy sometimes raw small body guitars. 

ok- I can see that analogy.

EsIrOdr.png

KnaBoSk.png

. . . but we must keep in mind the size of the sample group.

age differences, etc. 

And we're still waiting to find out about bracing differences.

Edited by 62burst

6 minutes ago, 62burst said:

ok- I can see that analogy.

Yeps, queen rhymes with limousine. Firebird rhymes with higher herd.  

14 minutes ago, 62burst said:

:56 ->1:06- Strum The Strummer, sister, and I will hear the 'Bird.

O Hummingbird with no strumming heard. 

• Haha 1