Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG VOS finish question

IOMMI

I have a question about the VOS finish. I bought this guitar about a month, or so ago. First VOS Gibson. It's a 60th Anniversary SG Custom. I may or may not have, accidentally, fudged the VOS finish to a gloss on the neck. It's super smooth now. 🤦‍♂️ Is there any way to restore that sticky VOS finish on the neck?

Lol. I wipe down my Gibson guitars, pretty well, after every practice, and there wasn't an Owner's Manual with mine, or anything to indicate like... DO NOT VIGOROUSLY WIPE DOWN A VOS FINISH TO CLEAN IT. Roflmao. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

The piece of paper that was missing from your case had a chart indicating the vigor with which you may safely wipe down your VOS neck. Unfortunately all hope is lost now.

The vigor scale! Oh no. :[ 

4 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Isn't that the secret one only known by Carlos Santana?

That doesn't go into the case.

I hear Frank Zappa knew some variations on his secret chord progressions.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The same thing happened to my PRS CE24, the satin like finish became glossy where my hand came into contact with the body. The 'reclaimed wood' finish was gradually becoming slightly more shiny with more use. It just looked like wear looks. I even rather liked it.

So I never bothered to try to restore it, but like as been said here, I'd use some fine sanding paper if needed.

That's what I suggested that to the fellow that bought it from me. No idea whether he did or not.

• Like 1

Vos finish is just not polished as a standard buffed shiny.

When you play you are buffing the surface shiney 

Just spray your arms with Deep Woods OFF bug spray if you want to keep your finish hazy.. 

Trust me that really hazes out a nitro finish that can't be reversed 

• Haha 2

Just spray your arms with Deep Woods OFF bug spray if you want to keep your finish hazy.. 

This is no joke.  I played an outdoor gig one night in a low lying area and at dusk the mosquitoes were killer.  At the break we sprayed ourselves down (and part of our shirts in the process) with OFF.  When I got home that night and took my guitar out to clean it up the back really looked bad - all hazy and smudged from the bug spray that was on my shirt.  It took a lot of cleaning and polishing over several weeks to get it back to looking the way it should.

As far as restoring a VOS finish I have no idea.  I would want the back of the neck of my guitar to be smooth and easy to move up and down on.  But maybe the OP is more concerned with appearance than playability?  And that is not a knock, he may just want to keep the guitar as original as possible.  At the opposite end of the spectrum we have had people on this forum polish the heck out of satin finish guitars to make them shiny.  To each his own.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

This is no joke.  I played an outdoor gig one night in a low lying area and at dusk the mosquitoes were killer.  At the break we sprayed ourselves down (and part of our shirts in the process) with OFF.  When I got home that night and took my guitar out to clean it up the back really looked bad - all hazy and smudged from the bug spray that was on my shirt.  It took a lot of cleaning and polishing over several weeks to get it back to looking the way it should.

As far as restoring a VOS finish I have no idea.  I would want the back of the neck of my guitar to be smooth and easy to move up and down on.  But maybe the OP is more concerned with appearance than playability?  And that is not a knock, he may just want to keep the guitar as original as possible.  At the opposite end of the spectrum we have had people on this forum polish the heck out of satin finish guitars to make them shiny.  To each his own.

Yeah. I was concerned with the fact that maybe I ruined the originality of the finish, or something. I've owned a lot of Gibson SGs over the years; this is my first Custom Shop. Still have my 50th Anniversary Diablo Tremolo.

This was my first VOS experience, and as I've read here,  in the replies, it's just one of those things that if you play it, it just isn't going to stay hazy forever. Kinda like the satin guitars as you've said. I owned a 2007 week 10 SG 3, and as I played it, that flat satin feeling became shinier.  I thought, perhaps, I goofed the finish. 

Yes, I kept sticking to the guitar neck, and that wasn't too enjoyable. I just like to clean my guitars with the cloth after every session. The place where my arm rests is now shinier, too.

So, with all of that said, I think it's just similar to the satin finish. The more you play it, the less it will stick. I do appreciate the replies, and the humor. :]

• Thanks 1