Gibson Brands Forums

A Few Home Truths

IanHenry

7 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

@IanHenry I just can’t watch that sky Australian crap. We have fox over here for ridiculous. So didn’t watch the video and could imagine what nice things they have to say about Greta. I’ve also heard Greta reprimand the world leaders so what possibly could I have missed? 

And I don’t know how school shootings got into this conversation… a bit out of context if you ask me. We have radicals in the midst. Fun place over here lol!

Agree.  I can see not wanting to watch the video. The Still Photo makes her look like she just had a mouthful of pickled brussel sprouts.  I think we agree on the news and politics from other discussions Chris.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

@IanHenry I just can’t watch that sky Australian crap. We have fox over here for ridiculous. So didn’t watch the video and could imagine what nice things they have to say about Greta. I’ve also heard Greta reprimand the world leaders so what possibly could I have missed? 

And I don’t know how school shootings got into this conversation… a bit out of context if you ask me. We have radicals in the midst. Fun place over here lol!

someone mentioned David Hogg in  a early post, so I may have included a reference....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jvi said:

someone mentioned David Hogg in  a early post, so I may have included a reference....

Yep.  i do the same thing.  Opens the doors for others to pile on and change the subject. But, like you, I still do it.

1 minute ago, jvi said:

Mentioned but bringing up his name led to discussion of school shootings. Same thing with bringing up Greta… we think about climate change. Easy to digress I’m guilty of it too. In this particular thread which wasn’t supposed to be about climate change or school shootings. I should have watched the damn video and made a comment afterwards. Better late to the game then never for me haha! At least I can look like a dumba** and move forward 😆

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

On a similar note, is 'contrarian'  an erudite way of saying  'hypocrite' ? 

No.   A "contrarian" basically is one who often takes an opposing view.   A "hypocrite"  is someone who, simply put, never practices what they preach.  Oh,----

SGT. PEPPER-------

I've smoked plenty of weed in my time.  But NEVER smoked any WEEK!  [wink]   Is it just as good as weed, cheaper, easier to obtain?  Or what??  [confused]

Whitefang  

6 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yep.  i do the same thing.  Opens the doors for others to pile on and change the subject. But, like you, I still do it.

I think it was you that mentioned D Hogg  saying something about his and Ms. Ts    parents ......

Damn it, I'm watching the video... 

EDIT:

@IanHenry I understand better what you are saying.  Yes, I spent time watching the video, thank you for sharing, and I somewhat disagree...  These kids' parents that help them buy into the latest fads and trends may not be the ones who are "climate champions".  It's real misleading and again, I revert to why are you even watching this?  I do not feel enriched after this viewing.  Not getting on your case or anything, but if we want to start poking holes into the anchor's arguments, then let's have at it.  It's difficult to blanket all kids as climate champions that are looking for the latest fad, trend, electronic device, etc. to be part of their lifestyle.  Parents raise kids...  Parents have a role in their child's development.  It's irrelevant that there's certain luxuries in the world - AC, iPhones, etc. - and children use these.  Not going into solutions for climate change, but to rant about kids ranting on Sky is sort of crappy and who wants to give this patronage I wonder...  Sorry, just being honest.  It's OK to be curious about things, just don't get it from places that make your blood boil after you "get the message".  Media will do that to ya...  Peace and good wishes to you. 

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2021 at 1:08 PM, Whitefang said:

SGT. PEPPER-------

I've smoked plenty of weed in my time.  But NEVER smoked any WEEK!  [wink]   Is it just as good as weed, cheaper, easier to obtain?  Or what??  [confused]

Whitefang  

I am a s-hitty speller. My big neanderthal thumbs sometimes smash down the wrong letters.

One time the teacher who taught the special kids in Junior High School - he was my baseball coach in high school - goes to me "You're a smart guy and I have to tell you stuff over and over, just like I have do with my special kids in class.  What's your excuse?"

So what's you guys' excuse?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

One time the teacher who taught the special kids in Junior High School - he was my baseball coach in high school - goes to me "You're a smart guy and I have to tell you stuff over and over, just like I have do with my special kids in class.  What's your excuse?"

I'm a product of the California school system from the early 70's to the mid-80's. That is my excuse. And I'm standing by it.

I also took two years of French in High School which has come in handy exactly zero times in my life.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, badbluesplayer said:

Same as the guy who posts that his high school baseball coach, "goes to me"  instead of "said to me", or "Asked me".  [cool]  AND could have began by stating, "Once,"  instead of "One time", leaving us to think another BAND CAMP story was coming our way!  [wink]  And too, should have put "Your guys" "  and not "You guys' "

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

Explaining English language to growing children made me realize how wild it is. Words spelled the same different meanings, sometimes these letters sound like this and other times they sound like that… I get perplexed at times how to explain what everything means and supposed to sound like when I try to teach my little ones. I just tell them you have to keep practicing at reading and writing to get the hang of what we all should know how to do as adults. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

23 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Same as the guy who posts that his high school baseball coach, "goes to me"  instead of "said to me", or "Asked me".  [cool]  AND could have began by stating, "Once,"  instead of "One time", leaving us to think another BAND CAMP story was coming our way!  [wink]  And too, should have put "Your guys" "  and not "You guys' "

Whitefang

Whaddayou, some kind of English teacher?  I talk conversationally on here 'cause some of you guys aren't all that swift.  'Cause of you guys, not 'cause of me.  I get paid to be smarter than other people.  I have since I was 22.  That's 42 years of getting paid for outsmarting people.  How many years for you?

22 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

Whaddayou, some kind of English teacher?  I talk conversationally on here 'cause some of you guys aren't all that swift.  'Cause of you guys, not 'cause of me.  I get paid to be smarter than other people.  I have since I was 22.  That's 42 years of getting paid for outsmarting people.  How many years for you?

I'm a retired autoworker.  And it just goes to show that one needn't be "specially" educated or paid to speak and spell the language properly.  I feel too that it's in my nature to be helpful in assisting people I like to not appear to be less  astute than they're capable of with a minimum of effort.   It all goes to serving a maxim an English teacher I had in Junior high on the usage of proper grammar liked to use(  I feel he self censored it a bit.  [wink])   -------

"If you can't blind them with your brilliance, then dazzle them with your BS!"  [flapper]   Driving home the point that being ignorant is bad enough.  There's NO NEED in SOUNDING IGNORANT too.  [cool]  After all, as you( who got paid) mighty well know, ignorance DOESN'T equal stupidity.

Whitefang

• Confused 1