Gibson Brands Forums

Same amp question again

Rabs

2 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Both are in the £300 range & both are far more than just a Work Shop Amp... My Apologies, I’m not a Digital Modelling fan as the louder you play the harsher it sounds. I’m a Tube guy who likes the Clean, Dirt, Reverb & Trem from the Tube Amp.. If anything else is needed from great Pedals.

I doubt I’d buy a Guitar from listening to a Digital modeling Amp. For me, that in itself would cast a negative on the quality of the Guitar.. Again my apologies.. I’m just telling it like I see it..

No its cool.. I wouldnt have asked what people think if I didnt want to hear it  🙂 

I looked those amps up.. Over here they are about £450.. Its close ish but just getting a bit much... I know that really I have to just go and try a few.. Just wanted to see if I could get some interesting recommendations to try when I go..

The amp your customers use to demo the your guitars needs to be equal to or better than the guitars you build.  Otherwise, the amp will reflect badly on the guitars.  It needs to be as good as you can afford.  If it's not as good as what your customer is used to playing, it will be an issue.

You can find a used Pro Junior over here for  $300-400.  It's a very dynamic amp that'll make your guitars sound much more lively than a modelling amp.  Blues Juniors are maybe another $100.  Very good sounding amps.  All tube.  Anything that's not all tube will be a hurdle for some customers.

Edited by badbluesplayer

4 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

The amp your customers use to demo the your guitars needs to be equal to or better than the guitars you build.  Otherwise, the amp will reflect badly on the guitars.  It needs to be as good as you can afford.  If it's not as good as what your customer is used to playing, it will be an issue.

You can find a used Pro Junior over here for  $300-400.  It's a very dynamic amp that'll make your guitars sound much more lively than a modelling amp.  Blues Juniors are maybe another $100.  Very good sounding amps.  All tube.  Anything that's not all tube will be a hurdle for some customers.

When I say used as a demo amp..  It will be more of a causal thing like, come to my desk if you want to here the guitar playing..  If I do any proper demos that are involved in a sale then I will use my Marshall SL5 which I love.. I just dont want to leave it in the workshop or have to lug it with me every time I come and go from there.. If you see what I mean.

So it doesnt have to be great. I have been using an old Marshall MG15fx for years.. Its properly dying now and I just thought it would be cool to get an upgrade.. So I want something that sounds good but it doesnt have to be full on... Which is why I dont want to go crazy on the price.

Up to now I've only watched this because most here are tube users, and I feel that's your preference too. But seeing as how you are not using the amp to demo / sell guitars, it only has to please you. 

Tube amps (plus pedals) is always going to exceed £300. It wouldn't hurt to try digital modelling. They might surprise you. If not you've eliminated them.

17 hours ago, Rabs said:

When I say used as a demo amp..  It will be more of a causal thing like, come to my desk if you want to here the guitar playing..  If I do any proper demos that are involved in a sale then I will use my Marshall SL5 which I love.. I just dont want to leave it in the workshop or have to lug it with me every time I come and go from there.. If you see what I mean.

So it doesnt have to be great. I have been using an old Marshall MG15fx for years.. Its properly dying now and I just thought it would be cool to get an upgrade.. So I want something that sounds good but it doesnt have to be full on... Which is why I dont want to go crazy on the price.

I'd still say look at a smaller mustang.  For your intended use, it should do the job Rabs.  I would think that there should not be a shortage of stores that have one you can try.  They are pretty popular, and easy on the wallet.  if you don't like it, walk away... 

Edited by kidblast

When I go to a Music Store to demo a potential Guitar I want to buy do I plug it into a cheap SS Amp? No! IMO, doing that would justify buying just about any Guitar.. Whether they're low quality or high quality... They’ll sound equally as bad.

We’re talking about spending my hard earned money! I want to hear it under the best of circumstances. Preferably on a high quality Tube Amp like I intend to use..

Good luck

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

When I go to a Music Store to demo a potential Guitar I want to buy do I plug it into a cheap SS Amp? No! IMO, doing that would justify buying just about any Guitar.. Whether they're low quality or high quality... They’ll sound equally as bad.

We’re talking about spending my hard earned money! I want to hear it under the best of circumstances. Preferably on a high quality Tube Amp like I intend to use..

Good luck

I think you are concentrating on the demo side of this too much.. I have an MG15fx which I have had for years to test the electrics out..  I am (probably) going to move in to a shared work space. That MG amp I have is almost completely dead. So I need a new workshop amp cos I am not taking my Slash amp in.. So while I may get the odd person at the workshop who may want to hear my guitars. It really is mainly for a workshop amp. Its just that I decided I wanted something a bit better than the MG (which is one of the cheapest amps there is)... And its why I dont want to go to crazy on the price.

21 hours ago, Rabs said:

I think you are concentrating on the demo side of this too much.. I have an MG15fx which I have had for years to test the electrics out..  I am (probably) going to move in to a shared work space. That MG amp I have is almost completely dead. So I need a new workshop amp cos I am not taking my Slash amp in.. So while I may get the odd person at the workshop who may want to hear my guitars. It really is mainly for a workshop amp. Its just that I decided I wanted something a bit better than the MG (which is one of the cheapest amps there is)... And its why I dont want to go to crazy on the price.

I have a very close friend who owns 111 Guitars & build high end Custom Guitars for guys like Joe Walsh, Joe Perry, Steven Tyler, Billy Gibbons etc.. They know the level of quality & content of his Guitars. I don’t think they even try them out.. That’s cool!

I’m not that level of Guy.. His Guitars start at $3500.00.. He has a little Blackstar cheapie SS Amp.. It sounds like a little cheapie SS Amp.. I couldn’t plunk down $3500+ based on that Amp... I’d have bring one of mine or he’d have to bring the Guitar over to my house..

Still I wish you the best of luck.... 

Edited by Larsongs

5 hours ago, Rabs said:

If you don't want to plunk down a lot and have something you won't worry about too much, is reliable and tone wise pretty flexible.. Thomanns has them for £169.38...

https://www.thomannmusic.com/intl/harley_benton_tube15_celestion.htm?sid=1b5ab66aca7237ae9126a593e33e6580&ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoidXMiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9&reload=1

469683.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

Just now, mihcmac said:

If you don't want to plunk down a lot and have something you won't worry about too much, is reliable and tone wise pretty flexible.. Thomanns has them for £169.38...

https://www.thomannmusic.com/intl/harley_benton_tube15_celestion.htm?sid=1b5ab66aca7237ae9126a593e33e6580&ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoidXMiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9&reload=1

14810766_800.jpg

Yeah cheers.. I have thought of that but am not really wanting to order anything from outside the country with the way things are at the moment.....  If I could buy one from a shop over here I probably would have gone for one of those.

My suggestion is still to build a decent tweed style amp. For not too much money you will have an amazing amp. Especially because you can build yourself a nice cabinet and do the whole thing right. It doesn’t have to be and is not particularly difficult. 

You may think an amp like that only has a few sounds, but what may surprise you is how much more versatile a few excellent sounds will be compared to dozens of mediocre sounds. 

I also think it would be just that slight bit more impressive to your customers that you built the guitar AND amp. I think there are a few factors there which could help drive sales.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

My suggestion is still to build a decent tweed style amp. For not too much money you will have an amazing amp. Especially because you can build yourself a nice cabinet and do the whole thing right. It doesn’t have to be and is not particularly difficult. 

You may think an amp like that only has a few sounds, but what may surprise you is how much more versatile a few excellent sounds will be compared to dozens of mediocre sounds. 

I also think it would be just that slight bit more impressive to your customers that you built the guitar AND amp. I think there are a few factors there which could help drive sales.

Hmm, interesting suggestion but I dont think I could wire it.. I know virtually nothing about amp circuits or speakers or anything like that.

I still think the Voc AC15 is a good call..  £200 with tubes and analogue modelling.   So rather than using a digital sound processor it actually has the physical circuit board on them (apparently).

2 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

Now that I think about it, if you had a modelling amp with a bunch of standard amp voicings, at least people could find a setting to play on that sounds pretty much like something they're used to.  

Yes, this is kind of my thinking..  

I'd think the Gibson Goldtone GA-5 reissue from the early 2000s would be a solid match for this use, but I see prices have skyrocketed on them. Still, you might find one in the £300 range. If so, scoop it up. They are great little boutique tube amps.

IMG_5714.jpg.169ead8307e76aee881a63a3522d59dd.jpg

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Hmm, interesting suggestion but I dont think I could wire it.. I know virtually nothing about amp circuits or speakers or anything like that.

I still think the Voc AC15 is a good call..  £200 with tubes and analogue modelling.   So rather than using a digital sound processor it actually has the physical circuit board on them (apparently).

The Vox AC15 with a 12 for £200 sounds like a smokin deal, or are you just getting the head?

4 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The Vox AC15 with a 12 for £200 sounds like a smokin deal, or are you just getting the head?

Whoops that was a typing error..  Should have been AV15  this one

The AC10 is £418....   Which is almost what I want but again. When you get an amp like that you get it for a specific sound and it does that sound well but it wont ever be a Marshall or a Fender if you see what I mean.. Its why I am thinking about the modelling amp.. Ok its not the real thing either but its a good facsimile. Or at least good enough to give people a good idea.

However the whole point of me starting this thread was that I still know tube amps sound the best so was trying to find something that maybe doesnt have to be a full tube amp but can give me a range of sounds. Even if they are not quite authentic.

UPDATE!!!

Ok so I went to the guitar shop today...  First I was trying them with some kind of Custom...  Nice guitar BUT the fake finish checking is terrible.. The neck feels awful. I think its the first time I have actually tried an aged guitar like that and I still dont get why people would pay 5k for that.. Just so silly..

So I tried the VOX AV 20 and the VT15...   Didnt really like either of them that much.. The options just do my head in... So I then went and tried one I had previously written off the Marshall DSL 1  and..  Loved it the second I played it. Playing the amps like that side by side..  Hated the digital one, the hybrid one was slightly better.. But there really is nothing like a good tube amp... I knew this before but its now confirmed  🙂  Still havent quite made my mind up yet but the Marshall was clearly the best sounding one I played today.

hxKbCXH.jpg

vbWzXLJ.jpg

dSSq9Ll.jpg

Really hard to get a proper pic of the neck checking..  Just horrid.. 

m3DrFdQ.jpg

Edited by Rabs

On 6/11/2021 at 10:31 AM, Rabs said:

The AC10 is £418....   Which is almost what I want but again. When you get an amp like that you get it for a specific sound and it does that sound well but it wont ever be a Marshall or a Fender if you see what I mean.. Its why I am thinking about the modelling amp.. Ok its not the real thing either but its a good facsimile. Or at least good enough to give people a good idea.

However the whole point of me starting this thread was that I still know tube amps sound the best so was trying to find something that maybe doesnt have to be a full tube amp but can give me a range of sounds. Even if they are not quite authentic.

You might want o look at a Roland Blues Cube.

30 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Well those are just under £600..  A bit much for what I want the amp for.

I posted that before I saw your last post, if you plug in to an amp and it just sounds killer, its likely that as a demo it will start off sounding good. If the Marshall DSL 1 just sounded good to start with, your client may not need to reset to find a sound they like. That was how I felt when I plugged in to a Rivera, the richness of the sound just blew every thing else away. My SR15's (same as the HB15's) I had to work a bit to find what I wanted.

Edited by mihcmac

17 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I posted that before I saw your last post, if you plug in to an amp and it just sounds killer, its likely that as a demo it will start off sounding good. If the Marshall DSL 1 just sounded good to start with your client may not need to reset to find a sound they like. That was how I felt when I plugged in to a Rivera, the richness of the sound just blew every thing else away. My SR15's (same as the HB15's) I had to work a bit to find what I wanted.

Yeah..  Thats how it works with my Slash amp...  I used it for guitar shows and just show them the channel/reverb pedal they can flick on and off..  Set the amp up at the start of the show and no one has ever asked to change any settings.. It just sounds good 🙂  So while I know that, I was just looking for something smaller and I didnt think I would get that from the DSL 1.. BUT it really did sound proper what I was used to when I plug a guitar in.