Gibson Brands Forums

Same amp question again

Rabs

41 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yeah..  Thats how it works with my Slash amp...  I used it for guitar shows and just show them the channel/reverb pedal they can flick on and off..  Set the amp up at the start of the show and no one has ever asked to change any settings.. It just sounds good 🙂  So while I know that, I was just looking for something smaller and I didnt think I would get that from the DSL 1.. BUT it really did sound proper what I was used to when I plug a guitar in.

Another Roland to look at under £300, the Cube Street with 2X6.5" speakers, which has the same amp models as my smaller Cubes. I use the JC Clean and Black Panel for clean or with external effects but just straight in I enjoy the Rectifier (R-Fier) setting.

481658000001000-03-2000x2000.jpg

481658000001000-00-2000x2000.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

Can't go too far wrong with the Marshall. 👍  Get the next one up and I bet you could do a gig with it.....whichever one, it  will give you a great stereo set-up with your other Marshall.

I still say my Micro-Cube is a bargain cheapie that punches well above its weight.

Edited by jdgm

17 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Can't go too far wrong with the Marshall. 👍  Get the next one up and I bet you could do a gig with it.....whichever one, it  will give you a great stereo set-up with your other Marshall.

I still say my Micro-Cube is a bargain cheapie that punches well above its weight.

Well I think today I confirmed that I want a small tube amp...  I really didnt think that was going to happen... In the videos those Vox amps sounded so nice..  In reality I just dont want the fuss of messing about with the sound. I just want to turn it on and it sound like what I expect and the only one that did that today was the Marshall..  Which I guess also just confirms that im a Marshall type of guy 🙂 

My brother in law has a micro cube and also loves it.. But its not quite what I am after.

They had a lot of Blackstar amps...  Have you ever tried one of those?

Edited by Rabs

I haven't tried Blackstar though they have a good rep and many people sing their praises.   And those small Laney valve combos too.

I've noticed these days that everything has digital fx (i.e. reverb) - I suppose it's far cheaper than a spring reverb.

The new Line 6 Spider V is pretty amazing, but all of my experience has been with the the larger "head" context w/ a non-Line 6 cabinet.  I know others that are pretty happy with the smaller Line 6 combos, though.  I have heard bad things about Black Star support which has made me wary of their gear fwiw.   

While trying out several tube amps in the 10 to 20 watt range, most worked quite well but didn't me my requirement for effects loop, spring reverb and 12" speaker. I decided to take a chance on my SR15's which are reported to be clones or built by the same people that build Laney's. Anyway I don't know if that is true, but the schematics are very similar. I am very satisfied with them and found that I can increase the headroom by boosting the tone controls. I played outdoors yesterday at below 1/2 volume with one of my amps and it sounded really rich with good solid driven high notes. 

8 hours ago, Rabs said:

UPDATE!!!

Ok so I went to the guitar shop today...  First I was trying them with some kind of Custom...  Nice guitar BUT the fake finish checking is terrible.. The neck feels awful. I think its the first time I have actually tried an aged guitar like that and I still dont get why people would pay 5k for that.. Just so silly..

So I tried the VOX AV 20 and the VT15...   Didnt really like either of them that much.. The options just do my head in... So I then went and tried one I had previously written off the Marshall DSL 1  and..  Loved it the second I played it. Playing the amps like that side by side..  Hated the digital one, the hybrid one was slightly better.. But there really is nothing like a good tube amp... I knew this before but its now confirmed  🙂  Still havent quite made my mind up yet but the Marshall was clearly the best sounding one I played today.

hxKbCXH.jpg

vbWzXLJ.jpg

dSSq9Ll.jpg

Really hard to get a proper pic of the neck checking..  Just horrid.. 

m3DrFdQ.jpg

That’s “light aged”?? I’m not into the aged look or 58 neck profile but that looks like a good time. If they have an R0 make sure to try it, that’s the one for you. I adore the neck of my R9 but I’ve never played an R8 that I liked to be honest

3 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

That’s “light aged”?? I’m not into the aged look or 58 neck profile but that looks like a good time. If they have an R0 make sure to try it, that’s the one for you. I adore the neck of my R9 but I’ve never played an R8 that I liked to be honest

I had the same question...  I would hate to try a heavy aged one sheesh...

And you know what.. With me liking 60s necks and never really getting on with fatter necks.. That one felt fine to me.. I didnt even look at what exact guitar it was till after and I was shocked.. Really didnt feel that big at all...

But yeah.. Why people want to play a cracked finished neck is beyond me.. It really felt horrible...  Just weird...

It was a very nice guitar apart from that.. The camera shot makes it lighter in colour too. It was much darker than that in real life.

Ohh and due to pandemic and global shipping issues, they had three Gibsons in there... And they are one of the bigger guitar shops... Very little choice out there if you want to buy new at the moment..  Luckily I have all the guitars I need 😄 

Edited by Rabs

Yeah that is pretty heavy on the checking but I guess they didn’t bring out the belt sander or chains. Btw your experience with the amps mirrors mine. There are plenty of solid state amps that I’d love to use but I haven’t heard a modeling amp that I love yet. The most practical solution for me to get the sound I like is a basic tube amp

Ok its done.....

Call me boring, predictable, obvious... I am also happy  🙂  Comes with a dinky channel switch which is nice.. £229.. Which I think is ok.. I know where I am with it and I like the way it sounds..  Nuff said !!

01UTCvM.jpg

M0oIwqZ.jpg

And with its bigger brother 🙂 

IX5Wdsm.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Ok its done.....

Call me boring, predictable, obvious... I am also happy  🙂  Comes with a dinky channel switch which is nice.. £229.. Which I think is ok.. I know where I am with it and I like the way it sounds..  Nuff said !!

01UTCvM.jpg

M0oIwqZ.jpg

IX5Wdsm.jpg

I like that drum there. 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Ha, well that was given to me by my ex wife who is South African.. But I dont hold that against it  🙂 

Very cool! I don't know how it sounds, but I really like the artwork, and that strap on it looks cool too![thumbup]

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Very cool! I don't know how it sounds, but I really like the artwork, and that strap on it looks cool too![thumbup]

I also have a cool digeridoo from when I visited Australia  🙂

qcHkC1r.jpg?1

aeMmOF0.jpg 

On 6/16/2021 at 2:22 PM, Rabs said:

Ok its done.....

01UTCvM.jpg

M0oIwqZ.jpg

IX5Wdsm.jpg

I bet you'll be happy with that.  I think I would've done the same.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 2:22 PM, Rabs said:

Ok its done.....

01UTCvM.jpg

M0oIwqZ.jpg

IX5Wdsm.jpg

I bought a small Marshall amp yesterday like the one on the right shelf. Except mine has the settings or dials on the top of the back. It has 3 letters, CO and a backwards C and just found it was a 50 watt, I thought it was 25 as 25 is below the co backwards c. No wonder its loud. I love all the effects it has.  My first Marshall amp ever. 

• Like 2

Congrats on the new amp Rabs. 👍

I've tried out a bunch of tube amps over the years. Black Star, Orange, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Hughes  & Kettner etc. 

I usually favour Cornell or Fender units, but would like to try a Tone King (Gremlin or Imperial) some time.

Not experienced those smaller Marshalls though. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 9:22 AM, Rabs said:

Ok its done.....

M0oIwqZ.jpg

Very very kuwel, nice set...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

Excellent choice with the DSL-1.  No compromises, but won't break the bank too badly.  👍👍

Yeah cheers...  I am happy with it too, it kind of sounds like a mini JCM 800.. The idea of the modelling amp is much better than the reality. And while there is no doubt they are getting better I know what my ears tell me and the experience of trying 3 digital amps in a row and the feeling of pleasure I got when I then tried the tube amp it just became very obvious to me which one I liked the sound of the most.

It was completely instant too. The second I heard it I knew. And I am not even that fussy when it comes to sound, I had an MG15fx for many many years that was the only amp I had. It did for me what I needed it for I never really used to think much past that.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1