Gibson Brands Forums

fretboard oil: Old dog, new trick

I use Dunlap 65, I had used Almond oil when later I read it was not good for wood so I quit. I take off the middle strings and leave the 2 E's on, condition the neck and then put the D & G on snugging them up while removing the 2 E's to finish the outside fretboard. Works for me. 

4 hours ago, Retired said:

I use Dunlap 65, I had used Almond oil when later I read it was not good for wood so I quit. I take off the middle strings and leave the 2 E's on, condition the neck and then put the D & G on snugging them up while removing the 2 E's to finish the outside fretboard. Works for me. 

Yes that sounds good. 👌

• 2 weeks later...

Dunlop Lemon (mineral) oil. Once annually, tops. I guess it depends... If you live somewhere that's humid all year round, I doubt it's necessary at all. If the RH drops sharply in the wintertime, I say it's good insurance.

Rosewood retains humidity, and I can tell you from experience that once a year is plenty. I know you don't want it seeping into the fret slots, but you also shouldn't just leave it on for a couple minutes. It takes about 30 mins for rosewood to suck up the oil. what I do is wipe a little (fingernail with a cloth over it, light touch just so there's no excess seeping nto the slots) around the frets, and let the rest sit for half an hour. Mind you, I've put oil on and not paid any particular attention to the fret slots, and it's never been a problem. Probably because I only treat fretboards annually.

You could go from humid as hell in the summer to RH 20 in the winter, and once a year is enough - that's from decades of experience. If someone's neglected a fretboard for years - say you buy a used guitar - you could (and AFAIC, should) treat it 2-3 times in a row, but that's the only exception - in my book, anyway.

If you want to clean the fretboard beforehand - I usually do this once every five years for guitars I play a lot - don't bother with steel wool. Get Gorgomyte. It's cheap, easy, and highly effective. If you have someone spill something on your fretboard or something, Gorgomyte is perfect for that too.

Drench the used rags before disposing of them.

Also, I believe if any university - it would have to be a medical school, I suppose - conducted long-term research on the brains of dead guitar players - they'd find that each and every one of those cadavers' brains had a centre that no one in the control group would have: a part of the brain dedicated exclusively to the issue of fretboard hydration.

Edited by Pinch

7 minutes ago, Pinch said:

If you want to clean the fretboard beforehand - I usually do this once every five years for guitars I play a lot - don't bother with steel wool. Get Gorgomyte. It's cheap, easy, and highly effective. If you have someone spill something on your fretboard or something, Gorgomyte is perfect for that too.

Drench the used rags before disposing of them.

Hi Pinch, I've never used steel wool on a fretboard. I've always cleaned with a moist rag (+ bit of soap sometimes). 

Not heard of Gorgomyte. Just looked. Little squares impregnated with something. 

I wont condition more than once a year. I'll probably forget to use the lemon oil ever again knowing me. I'm that lazy. In fact it was only last week I set up that guitar after removing all the strings. Just a 1/4 turn trussrod turn. Perfect again. Easy but it took me weeks to get around to it.

I have oily skin. I think the fretboard retains some of that. It only takes me 1/2 hour playing a brand new guitar for that 'dryness' to disappear. Once its gone, its gone forever. Yes I always wipe down after playing and clean periodically, but that slickness remains. 

Hello M-E,

me either... From what I've heard, a lot of touring techs have stopped using steel wool altogether. As is evident by the list of endorsees on his (Jimmy's) site.

I bought a pack (a square like a hanky in size) ten years ago, and I'm still not out. It was like ten bucks. Maybe twenty. It comes in a ziploc bag, and - evidently - doesn't go bad.

I have no affiliation with them, but it's such a  cure-all that I sing its praises any chance I get 🙂

29 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Hello M-E,

me either... From what I've heard, a lot of touring techs have stopped using steel wool altogether. As is evident by the list of endorsees on his (Jimmy's) site.

I bought a pack (a square like a hanky in size) ten years ago, and I'm still not out. It was like ten bucks. Maybe twenty. It comes in a ziploc bag, and - evidently - doesn't go bad.

I have no affiliation with them, but it's such a  cure-all that I sing its praises any chance I get 🙂

Good to know. I'll checked it out. Looks like the original has been replaced, or maybe just new packaging. Only Amazon still had any stock in the uk and that was £26, which I dont begrudge, but is more than I thought it would be. 

16 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Good to know. I'll checked it out. Looks like the original has been replaced, or maybe just new packaging. Only Amazon still had any stock in the uk and that was £26, which I dont begrudge, but is more than I thought it would be. 

That'll last you a decade though.

I doubt you need to panic though, I can't see them going out of business.

It's entirely possible, likely even, that I paid 25 quid for it back in the day... It's been a while. I'm still good for another ten years.

• Thanks 1