Gibson Brands Forums

Do you Name your Guitars?

pumpkin

I used to do this, but I still own very few that have names. I used to name guitars after comic book or scifi characters. Some names I remember were Belit (black), Sonja (red), Dejah Thoris (road flare red), Scarlet (cherry), Boleyn (headless).

My original Silverburst LP Custom is still named Snow Dog, and my Taylor acoustic is named Woody. My Tacoma mandolin is named Arlo.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well my DH is just a casual player. he plays all the time (on an unnamed Takamine acoustic) but never performed.

my 9yo DD has a little Martin & is trying to think of a name for it now that her daddy is naming his new LP.

so when you have all these high end guitars, i guess you choose your favorite by certain criteria like weight?

well my DH is just a casual player. he plays all the time (on an unnamed Takamine acoustic) but never performed.

my 9yo DD has a little Martin & is trying to think of a name for it now that her daddy is naming his new LP.

so when you have all these high end guitars' date=' i guess you choose your favorite by certain criteria like weight?[/quote']

Favorites are chosen by tone

Can't say no, I've always been a sucker for women...

well.... are you going to tell the story????

Mistress - this was my first expensive guitar. I bought it without telling my (at the time) live-in girlfriend. I mentioned that I wanted a Les Paul Custom once or twice and she said 'sure' date=' one day.' Well, that one day came sooner than she realized. I bought it a month before her birthday and kept it hidden from her. I'd only play it when she was at work or out with her friends. Now you see where the name comes from...

When her birthday finally came, I took her out for dinner and gave her a digital camera as her gift. She, of course, loved it and thought that was her only gift. We returned home and I had already placed the guitar case next to the couch. She thought it was my old guitar. My whole plan was to piss her off. So, we sat down and I said something along the lines of "honey, I bought a guitar." As expected, her face lit up and she said "what?" and I said "I bought a guitar, it's right there." It kinda gets cheesy here but this is what I did...

She asked to see it; so, I got down on one knee and opened the case. She had that disappointed 'how could you not tell me look' on her face...exactly the look I was after!! I pulled it out and started playing Here Comes the Bride. I bent the last note and lifted the headstock. That's when she saw an engagement ring dangling off of one of the tuners.

She wasn't upset after that =P~ and here I am a year and a half later, getting married in a few months to a woman that no longer cares how much I spend on guitars as long as it doesn't interfere with everything else. It helps that she's a music teacher.

i love these pictures yall are posting...

Again, can't say no to a lady...

These are my current guitars that, with amps, have set me back around $35,000 (Canadian).

I may sell the two Fenders one day but I'll never sell any of these Gibsons.

That's not to say I won't buy anymore. Actually, I should have another Les Paul in a few months. O:)

There goes another $5,000. =D>

LP Custom - Mistress

Silverburst001.jpg

LP R6 - Goldie

R6184.jpg

LP R8 - Brock

R8395.jpg

LP R9 - Iris

Picture976.jpg

LP R9 - The Duke

R950th158.jpg

SG - Lester

SG006.jpg

ES-335 - Lucille (original, I know)

ES-335002.jpg

Strat - Buddy

Strat119.jpg

Tele - Daisy

Tele056.jpg

I pulled it out and started playing Here Comes the Bride. I bent the last note and lifted the headstock. That's when she saw an engagement ring dangling off of one of the tuners.

that is a GREAT story! TFS!

you have a beautiful collection! i LOVE Mistress, Goldie & The Duke the most.

heres my little story about how i gave my DH his guitar last nite:

i had let several slip through my hands (due to not having saved enough $ yet and being afraid to buy on craigslist for safety reasons), so when this one came along i was determined it was THE ONE. i had done my research and felt confident in my choice & the price was fair.

he was at work and i had gone to dallas to get it (about an hour & a half away). he had called me several times on my cell, but i couldnt answer because of the background sounds. so i finally call him back when i get in the car & he said i was acting weird. i told him i was shopping for our anniversary gift & leave me alone!

i drove from dallas to his work which is a 2 hour drive & walked in with it. he was with customers so i sat in the next desk & when he rounded the corner... there she was.... in all her shining glory! he was speechless. he didnt even pick it up. i had to say "you can pick it up... its yours".

i am so happy to be able to do something so special for him after 10 years of being a stay at home mom. he is a wonderful husband & father & really deserves special things like this.

Pumpkin,

Great story!

What kind of work does he do?

In the post Axe was referring to, the little troll was Dem00n.

He's a youngster meaning no harm, Axe pointed it out to you with less clarity than was needed maybe.

You don't know who is who yet (hell, neither do I) but Axe is a Class Cat, as are the others here in this thread.

We're all more than happy to have you here in the forum, you don't have to tell your husband if you don't want to...

Not many ladies here, so a nice one with a heart of gold and a head for business is most refreshing.

Aw, heck...

Get your husband in here as soon as you can!

Are Nine, that is indeed a cool story - for a chick!!!!

:-)

The rest of us men here would never stoop to such.... Gotta go, here comes my wife!!!

i like Marmalade.. groovy name' date=' gorgeous guitar[/quote']

Thanks, Big Neil.

I just caught up with your first thread and wish to add my congrats to your story and offer my best wishes as well.

A very big welcome to the forum.

Great story!

What kind of work does he do?

In the post Axe was referring to, the little troll was Dem00n.

He's a youngster meaning no harm, Axe pointed it out to you with less clarity than was needed maybe.

You don't know who is who yet (hell, neither do I) but Axe is a Class Cat, as are the others here in this thread.

thank you.... its kinda funny though because i actually wasnt even going to get him a guitar. i didnt think i would be able to put away enough money before our anniversary, so i was going to get him golf clubs. and what happens??? 3 weeks ago he bought a new set! i was feverishly texting his friend who was with him telling him to do anything he could to stop him from buying them. i told DH the story of that on saturday note when i gave him the guitar & he said "oh thank GOD i bought those clubs!" lol

i can tell Axe is a class act. as for demoon, i have no idea... maybe bullets bounce off HIM like Superman, but not everyone. ya know?

oh, and he sells cars.

Funny how a girl comes along and it's the most popular thread in a long time. Pumkin, nice to be the only girl at the dance, EH!

i like to surround myself with intelligent & knowledgeable people!

i LOVE message boards! i post on one frequently & have over 20,000 posts. its a scrapbooking forum but its the area for non scrapbooking related topics. yall think YOUR hobby is expensive.... dont ask how much scrapbookers are willing to pay for a sheet of paper! =D>

#1 LP standard (see avatar)- Lumber

#2 USA Fender Strat standard- Cracker (olympic white/ maple board)

#3 Fender Telecaster (w/ P-90s, double cut away, and set neck TV yellow) Shriek

#4 Takamine TC acoustic (cheap dred)- B*tch

#5 Ventura (copy of a SG that was my first electric guitar)- Old faithful

I have 12 guitars, but only the last one I bought has a name.

It's an Epiphone Elitist Dot - I call her "Dot" which is truly original.

By the way, I used to live just outside of Tyler and took our kids to Piney Woods for pre-teen camp.

And my wife is all into scrap-booking so I am all too familiar with how much a sheet of acid free paper cost.

No names for mine, I've been playing for more than 30 years and for some reason I've never even thought about naming any of my guitars...for me names are for living creatures only. I call the one I'm playing at the moment, "this one"...the one I'm going to play next is called "that one"...I spent many years hunting and fishing in the piney woods, near Hemphill.

Yes - Vinnie ('91 Studio Lite Vintage Burst) and Charlene ('07 Standard). I get Vinnie from "Vintage" and Charlene was the girl I had a crush on in the 7th grade. Charlene kinda looked like Peggy Lipton from "The Mod Squad", but Charlene was better looking. It was 1970, after all!

Vinnie was a Christmas gift from my wife in 1992. She knew I'd always wanted a Les Paul.

Edit: Sorry about the picture size - it was small in the preview!

P3300020.jpg

lots of East Texas ties here, huh?

im between Canton & Tyler. originally from DeSoto.

yall have some pretty good names for your guitars.

By the way, I used to live just outside of Tyler and took our kids to Piney Woods for pre-teen camp.

And my wife is all into scrap-booking so I am all too familiar with how much a sheet of acid free paper cost.

Sky Ranch camp? and LOL at the acid free paper! im going to scrap a page of DH's guitar... im going to include the texts all his friends sent him when he sent out a mass text to everyone telling them about it.

my favorite reply was from his friend that said "thats true F****** love right there, man."

lots of East Texas ties here' date=' huh?

im between Canton & Tyler. originally from DeSoto.

yall have some pretty good names for your guitars.

Sky Ranch camp? and LOL at the acid free paper! im going to scrap a page of DH's guitar... im going to include the texts all his friends sent him when he sent out a mass text to everyone telling them about it.

my favorite reply was from his friend that said "thats true F****** love right there, man."

[/quote']

Piney Woods baptist camp. I used to ride my motorcycle to Canton down 279.

Archived