Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul - Paint Name Stamping Inquiry

Nat

Hi All,  

I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom 89 model which I bought second hand many years ago.  I have always been curious - but located underneath the Treble Rhythm Switch and just about the top of the neck fretboard I can see someone’s name stamped into the paint and body. It says “MAURICIO”. 

It hasn’t been written with a pen or scribe - it’s perfectly lettered and symmetrical and clearly there when shined in the right light when looking for it. 

I always found this quite strange and never quite understood if this is something anyone has seen before or if it’s something that Gibson did in factory ? Or if perhaps one of its previous owners had this done themselves as part of a custom request etc 

I’ve had it looked at by multiple people. (music store workers ) here in Australia with the hope someone might know. I guess I’m just trying to get an idea of what it is or if it’s something Gibson did at any stage and there is any significance the Mauricio names means in the history of Gibson.

This isn’t a fake - I’ve already had this confirmed and the serial checks out etc online.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Nat

Beings that would of been painted overtop of the finish.  There are certain colors that will actually seep or bleed  into the finish.  If the lettering was removed at some point.  The bleeding seeped into the clear.  And it will stay there.    Chances are its all the way through the finish right to the wood.       I bet when you look at it or run your fingers accross.  You dont feel anything. Or maybe just a slight bump. 

Sign paint is a bad one. As well as jiffy marks.    

with urethane clears.  Jiffy mark in most cases will wash off.   Unless its red.  

Well I doubt it would be for the same reason.  Other people did the SS# thing for identification in case of theft.  I doubt putting a NAME on the guitar(and just the surname in this case) would help in that regard.  Maybe the previous owner just liked putting his(or her) name on everything they owned, I couldn't say.  And BTW-----

I have a grandnephew with that last name.  But, as he doesn't play, I doubt the guitar was his.  [wink]

Whitefang