Gibson Brands Forums

1937 Gibson 400 Super archtop acoustic guitar for sale

RBSinTo

For those of you who care about such instruments (and you know who you are) there is a 1937 Gibson 400 Super archtop acoustic guitar for sale on consignment at the Twelfth Fret here in Toronto. Not cheap, but appears to be in very nice shape. Just thought I'd let you all know.

RBSinTo

I suppose it all depends on why you are purchasing this or that instrument:  

its value as an investment, as a trophy, or as a player.

This particular guitar is not one I would ever consider buying, but I only mention it because there may be someone who frequents this site who might be interested in it.

RBSinTo

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

I suppose it all depends on why you are purchasing this or that instrument:  

its value as an investment, as a trophy, or as a player.

This particular guitar is not one I would ever consider buying, but I only mention it because there may be someone who frequents this site who might be interested in it.

RBSinTo

I buy guitars just to look at.

18 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Thanks for sharing the info.  I'd certainly be interested if the price hovered within the realm of affordability - in particular because this one is X-braced (which was only done by Gibson for a specific period of time in the '30s).  I used to own a carved-top 1930s Ward archtop (made by Gibson) that was X-braced, and I found the tone to be very appealing.  Might still have it today if the neck had not been a huge V-shaped affair.  Bought it at a flea market in the '70s, at a price that was a bit more reasonable: something south of $25.00.

1 hour ago, bobouz said:

Thanks for sharing the info.  I'd certainly be interested if the price hovered within the realm of affordability - in particular because this one is X-braced (which was only done by Gibson for a specific period of time in the '30s).  I used to own a carved-top 1930s Ward archtop (made by Gibson) that was X-braced, and I found the tone to be very appealing.  Might still have it today if the neck had not been a huge V-shaped affair.  Bought it at a flea market in the '70s, at a price that was a bit more reasonable: something south of $25.00.

Bobouz,

I have no affiliation with the Twelfth Fret other than as a customer for their Luthiers in the Repair Department, so when I post regarding items they have for sale it is merely as a favour to others on this site. 

I have no interest in, nor knowledge about this particular model of guitar, and have no idea about its value or playability.

RBSinTo

6 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Bobouz, I have no affiliation with the Twelfth Fret other than as a customer for their Luthiers in the Repair Department, so when I post regarding items they have for sale it is merely as a favour to others on this site. I have no interest in, nor knowledge about this particular model of guitar, and have no idea about its value or playability.  RBSinTo

Yes, I get that, but appreciated the post & also wanted to share a little info.  These X-braced arch tops from the ‘30s are rather rare.  Too bad about the price!

9 hours ago, bobouz said:

I had a 1935 Gibson-made Capital archtop (the house brand of Jenkins Music) which was X braced. But I thought all Gibson archtops from around 1935 to 1939  were X braced.    We used to refer to them as having a two hump top.

26 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I had a 1935 Gibson-made Capital archtop (the house brand of Jenkins Music) which was X braced. But I thought all Gibson archtops from around 1935 to 1939  were X braced.    We used to refer to them as having a two hump top.

That’s my understanding, too.  I didn’t mean exceedingly rare, but rare from the standpoint that they were only produced that way for a few years in the ‘30s.  When Fender still owned Guild in 2013, they released the Korean-made A-150b archtop, with a pressed solid spruce top & X-bracing (based on a early Hoboken design).  I picked one up & still have it today.  It does a reasonably credible job of recreating that ‘30s tone.  Fun stuff!

22 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

I'll advise the store tomorrow.

RBSinTo

Thanks. I just got my second jab in the arm on Thursday and when I can finally leave this country Canada is on my list of places I'm going. And it will either be Toronto or Montreal or Quebec. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper