Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

New Tv special Les Paul, normal binding-fret?


Paulman9507
 Share

Recommended Posts

I specifically asked the chat rep for a pristine new Les Paul, while I know the clerks at the store XYZAbc can’t really guarantee how item arrives hence always have it shipped..  they unboxed it in front of me, You would have thought this would’ve caught the eye of the person finishing the guitar with lacquer and strings, before even allowing this to pass. I just don’t know what to say when I have picked up insurmountable Epiphone and any other brand guitar, and old vintage Les Pauls, and still see this. Old ones don’t even have this. The cutaway is beautiful and fine. The topside is not. The very very first thing I noticed when the case was opened a place I always, always check on my indo cort factory Ibanez RG guitars when ordering, as I’ve has experience with pocket cracking before.   Could’ve been weather shifting maybe being dropped hard during shipping even in a darn leather hard case and box. I can’t say. All I know is I did not, pay for something to look like this out of the box. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Amp seems sonically and structurally good, etc. would find it hard to have two Nixes in a row with chances of probability, but hey. Never know..

but yeah amplifier seems great Marshall dsl 40cr a real beauty.  
got a full refund just gonna keep window shopping. Have my eye set on traditional pro Epiphone SG or Les Paul Modern. Played my tribute 2017 yesterday. Worried even at 26 it’s a heavy one… SG May be in order. Is relief in the moderns all that substantially different? I tried Epi custom Silver. Just like my tribute.  Modern LP was very light. SG even more so. Both would be good but gee my body can’t handle it after being on HGH for 10 years joints really feel it nowadays. Bet some of ya older guys will be laughing lol. No grey hair yet lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Paulman9507 said:

Amp seems sonically and structurally good, etc. would find it hard to have two Nixes in a row with chances of probability, but hey. Never know..

but yeah amplifier seems great Marshall dsl 40cr a real beauty.  
got a full refund just gonna keep window shopping. Have my eye set on traditional pro Epiphone SG or Les Paul Modern. Played my tribute 2017 yesterday. Worried even at 26 it’s a heavy one… SG May be in order. Is relief in the moderns all that substantially different? I tried Epi custom Silver. Just like my tribute.  Modern LP was very light. SG even more so. Both would be good but gee my body can’t handle it after being on HGH for 10 years joints really feel it nowadays. Bet some of ya older guys will be laughing lol. No grey hair yet lol 

late to the party but,  I'd have returned that too.  that just isn't right.. no how, no way.

good score on the DSL

I have three Marshalls, one is the DSL40CR, a very versatile combo.  If I don't want to move the JVM / CABS  this little guy doe the trick!

Did you pickup the 6 button footswitch?   I know it's expensive but if you didn't do that, MHO, it's worth it.   

with that, you can do all the channel / voicing and master volume switching from the FS.  even shuts off the fx loop which is nice!

Edited by kidblast
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn’t get the foot switch just the loop thing it came with.  Great amp though, and I just ordered a Les Paul Epiphone modern figured, ships 7-12. Let’s hope it’s good to go.  Maybe poly finish is just more durable generally, my thoughts at least. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Poly is more durable. Nitro is coveted because its traditional. But it takes an age to cure (new Gibson often have sticky necks for a while) and after a while longer it crazes (patina). Wonderful stuff [wink].

 

And dont forget the fun of what happens if you leave it on a foam padded guitar stand.... I know its traditional but they really should change their finish... So many more options these days and they could use stuff not so harsh on the environment and people... One time I sprayed nitro and was wearing a t-shirt (face was of course covered)... I dont know this for sure but I think it sunk in to my skin and at the end of the day I had one of the worst headaches of my life and thats saying something. Horrible stuff...  Gibson should move on to one of the many great finishing oils you can buy now days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Rabs said:

And dont forget the fun of what happens if you leave it on a foam padded guitar stand.... I know its traditional but they really should change their finish... So many more options these days and they could use stuff not so harsh on the environment and people... One time I sprayed nitro and was wearing a t-shirt (face was of course covered)... I dont know this for sure but I think it sunk in to my skin and at the end of the day I had one of the worst headaches of my life and thats saying something. Horrible stuff...  Gibson should move on to one of the many great finishing oils you can buy now days.

Yuk! That's a cautionary tale if there ever was one. I agree 100%, but we both know that Gibson's hands will always tied by the faithful insisting on traditional. A oil finish would make an attractive option though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2021 at 9:29 PM, merciful-evans said:

Poly is more durable. Nitro is coveted because its traditional. But it takes an age to cure (new Gibson often have sticky necks for a while) and after a while longer it crazes (patina). Wonderful stuff [wink].

 

Nitrocellulose lacquer—like most lacquers—never cures; it only dries.

Regarding the main topic, I have the very same model brand-new in my possession. I think the photo of the Les Paul Special in TV Yellow above may have made the transition between binding and fretboard extension look worse than it really is due to the interplay of shadow and light in the photo. There is always going to be a noticable transition there—that perhaps only the Custom Shop that sprays the nitrocellulose clear coat by hand can elmininate that perfecting the transition—and depending on the lighting condition might be more noticably visible under extreme than normal (lighting) conditions. In any case, you can always feel the transition by touch.

Edited by Leonard McCoy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...