Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Standard Transformation...

sbpark

Finally finished with the changes I made to a 2016 J45 Standard that was generously gifted to me in March. I had a 2016 J45 Standard that I foolishly sold, so this was a vey nice surprise. 

First thing I did was ditch the stock Rotomatics (I've done this before and have threads here on the process and how I did it) and replaced them with some Kluson 3 on a plate Supremes. These are a bit different than the Deluxes, as these have an 18:1 gear ratio, compared to the 15:1 ratio of the Deluxe. These are noticeably smoother than the Deluxes, look identical and were the same price as the Deluxe. First time using them  and like them so far. 

Next I replaced all the tusk parts with bone (nut, saddle and bridge pins). Also replaced the truss rod cover with an all black cover (no white binding).

I also removed the pickup system and there's no pickup in the guitar at the moment. I may put a K&K in at some point, but honestly, I currently have no need for a pickup these days. 

There was a hump in the upper frets, while I was having a local shop make the new nut, I also had them level and crown the frets. This was the only work I had the shop do, and everything else I did myself. 

Finally, I replaced the stock, thick rubber/flubber teardrop guard with a batwing pickguard. 

I think it came out great. Guitar plays great and sounds great, and wont be getting rid of this one. 

Something worth mentioning...getting rid of the Rotomatics and LR Bags UST took off over a 1/2 pound. 

ImNXwM2h.jpg

ZhqMksll.jpg

W61VTXtl.jpg

Qaw71rVl.jpg

Edited by sbpark
  • Like 2

Very nice! And I'm a big fan of the batwing pickguard, which is one reason I'm partial to J-50's. 🙂

Haven't seem those Kluson Supremes before, they look good. But personally, it just seems like they should say "Deluxe" to look right, LOL

Edited by Boyd

Well done - the ambition appears to be fulfilled. Nothing will send this guitar further soon. This 45 is home.                                                                                                                                                                                                I have been thinking back'n'forth about switching from the Grover steel-mill to white ovals on the 2010 Std., but then there is the MOP logo. Didn't seem to bother you, did it. .

2 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Well done - the ambition appears to be fulfilled. Nothing will send this guitar further soon. This 45 is home.                                                                                                                                                                                                I have been thinking back'n'forth about switching from the Grover steel-mill to white ovals on the 2010 Std., but then there is the MOP logo. Didn't seem to bother you, did it. .

Doesn't bug me at all. Wasn't trying to make it period correct, pr please the cork sniffers, just wanted to make it my own.

• Like 2

I have said it before and I will say it again - Rotomatics just look so wrong on a J45.   While I generally stick with white or black buttons I did like the look of the Grover Sta-Ties with  metal buttons I slapped on one of my Harmony Sovereigns.  Made it look just a bit classier.  

Edited by zombywoof

18 hours ago, sbpark said:

Doesn't bug me at all. Wasn't trying to make it period correct, pr please the cork sniffers, just wanted to make it my own.

I suppose there's a grey area between cork sniffing, and making it our own. Yours looks good from here.

Looks like some fairly determined slotting/ramping for the treble strings at the bridge. Was that part of the transform?

23 hours ago, sbpark said:

Finally finished with the changes I made to a 2016 J45 Standard that was generously gifted to me in March. I had a 2016 J45 Standard that I foolishly sold, so this was a vey nice surprise. 

First thing I did was ditch the stock Rotomatics (I've done this before and have threads here on the process and how I did it) and replaced them with some Kluson 3 on a plate Supremes. These are a bit different than the Deluxes, as these have an 18:1 gear ratio, compared to the 15:1 ratio of the Deluxe. These are noticeably smoother than the Deluxes, look identical and were the same price as the Deluxe. First time using them  and like them so far. 

Next I replaced all the tusk parts with bone (nut, saddle and bridge pins). Also replaced the truss rod cover with an all black cover (no white binding).

I also removed the pickup system and there's no pickup in the guitar at the moment. I may put a K&K in at some point, but honestly, I currently have no need for a pickup these days. 

There was a hump in the upper frets, while I was having a local shop make the new nut, I also had them level and crown the frets. This was the only work I had the shop do, and everything else I did myself. 

Finally, I replaced the stock, thick rubber/flubber teardrop guard with a batwing pickguard. 

I think it came out great. Guitar plays great and sounds great, and wont be getting rid of this one. 

Something worth mentioning...getting rid of the Rotomatics and LR Bags UST took off over a 1/2 pound. 

ImNXwM2h.jpg

ZhqMksll.jpg

W61VTXtl.jpg

Qaw71rVl.jpg

You must be reading my mail!

Everything you listed is what I did to my 2010 (and most of my acoustics, actually)...with the exception of the bat-wing. Material-wise you probably made the right choice, but as for shape I simply enjoy the teardrop.

Well done, amigo!

14 hours ago, 62burst said:

I suppose there's a grey area between cork sniffing, and making it our own. Yours looks good from here.

Looks like some fairly determined slotting/ramping for the treble strings at the bridge. Was that part of the transform?

Yes, sorry forgot to mention that. Nearly every modern J45/J45 Standard I've owned the break angle over the B & high E strings has been very shallow, and just asked them to ramp those two to make them a little steeper. Could be just me, but the shorter scales of J45's and that shallow break angle along with the lower tension that b strings usually has been something that's always bugged me. 

Nice looking work on your J45! Before I saw the pics, I was thinking nay on the batwing. I was sold in an instant, though. Very nice, indeed.

I had to look at the picture about 5 times to see what 62burst was talking about. That, to me, would have been the most nerve-wracking thing to try DIY.

Beauty!  I like the  look and as a matter of fact I am gonna do the tuner switch on one of mine and just talked to service at Sweetwater.  I have never switched anything on my guitars so this is a first for me and no I will not be doing it.  SW tells me they are 3-4 weeks before the guitar will hit the work-bench, another good reason to own more than one guitar.

On 6/17/2021 at 4:44 AM, 62burst said:

Definitely. Difficult to monitor your progress. . . cutting into the top or bridgeplate would not be the desired result.

That is scary looking. 
I have a set of very small saws for doing this.  I usually replace the bridge pins with unslotted ones or rotate the pins