Gibson Brands Forums

Blingless Bird?

SecondCity

Hi all!

New here, so let me say hello! I’ve been playing a few years and am considering an upgrade. I’m an acoustic guy. 

I went to the LGS to play some Martins, etc, and wandered into the Gibson section. As you’ll all agree, I’d expect, those guitars had “it.” 

In particular, I played a Hummingbird Original. That thing flat out rocked. I’ve never played a ‘Bird before, but I was deeply impressed. 

What I didn’t love was the number on the price tag. 

Does anyone know if Gibson has done a guitar that is structurally a Hummingbird but without the bling? Don’t get me wrong, it looks awesome and iconic. But I don’t know that I can spend what one costs, so if I can get the tone without the looks, I’ll take it. 

Is there such a model?

Thank you all!

I'll say "Welcome to these boards SecondCity".     I'll just also say that I assume none of the other Gibson acoustics struck you the same way, so I'd be hard pressed to answer your question.  And now you've got my curiosity piqued.  So I'm anxious for the answer too.  [wink]

Whitefang

Others here know the model underneath the gaudiness of Bird and Dove appointments, which I can't stand, especially weird bridges. I think Nick once told us they are SJ's under all the tackiness. Hope he'll correct me on the model. Dove might be a smaller comparable bod. I'm just awful at remembering specs.

40 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I'll say "Welcome to these boards SecondCity".     I'll just also say that I assume none of the other Gibson acoustics struck you the same way, so I'd be hard pressed to answer your question.  And now you've got my curiosity piqued.  So I'm anxious for the answer too.  [wink]

Whitefang

That’s more or less true. There was a Humminngbird Mahogany M that was really good, if not as good. The L-00 was great for its size. They only had an adjustable bridge J-45 and an Epiphone 45, which were also good. I’d consider (and am considering) a J-45, but the Hummingbird was really the show-stopper, at least for me. 

• Like 1

Just as a suggestion, since price is a thing, then you should at least consider an Epiphone.  They make two Hummingbirds: "Studio" and "Inspired by Gibson" versions.  I would recommend the higher-tier "Inspired by Gibson" version.  Mahogany back and sides, spruce top, mahogany neck, no case included, made in Indonesia (pretty sure anyway).  It is probably the best Hummingbird for the person who can't afford a Gibson Hummingbird.  Just a thought.

L78042000001000-00-500x500.jpg

L78042000001000-01-500x500.jpg

L78042000001000-04-500x500.jpg

Gibson also use to make a  "Hummingbird Pro"  marketed exclusively by/for Guitar Center,  which was no more like a hummingbird than a duck is.   The old Epi H'Bird was nowhere close in sound or feel, just an Asian Copy.  I don't know about the 'new and improved version'  but I doubt it would be comparable to the real thing.   Different wood, body depth - Gibson can call them  Hummingbird pro or studio or wannabe,  but you'll always feel short changed.  My suggestion.  Scour the internet for a used one.    G'Luck.  

• Thanks 1

If the 'Bird floats your boat, I doubt you'd be happy with an Epi.

Also, the used 'Birds are sometimes (often) much better because they've had time to age.

If you're looking to 'upgrade' then you have to know you're going to be spending some bucks.  

I'll just tell you....like Whitefang, I played a 'Bird back in '65 or so when I worked at a music store..... the guitar simply captured me.... I lusted after one for many years, and told my new wife in 1978 that my 'dream guitar' was a Gibson Hummingbird.   In 1980, she (somehow) gathered up enough to go to Music Unlimited (a local store here in the SF Bay Area) and bought me a Gibson Dove.   She remembered I lusted after a Gibson guitar that was some kind of bird.....so a Dove seemed right to her.   I still have that guitar and that wife...never been sorry she switched me to a Dove ILO a Hummingbird!

As my dad said, you'll have $$ come and go through your hands and you won't remember what you bought with it....but if you get the exact guitar you love, you'll never regret it.

2 hours ago, jedzep said:

Others here know the model underneath the gaudiness of Bird and Dove appointments, which I can't stand, especially weird bridges. I think Nick once told us they are SJ's under all the tackiness. Hope he'll correct me on the model. Dove might be a smaller comparable bod. I'm just awful at remembering specs.

Wow!

And I thought I was the only one who thinks the "Bird" series and the various J-200 incarnations look like they came from the same place that builds those gaudy circus railroad wagons they haul the animal acts around in. 

Gibson builds 658 versions of every guitar they make anyway, so why not include plain, unadorned versions among them? 

RBSinTo

Just now, RBSinTo said:

Wow!

And I thought I was the only one who thinks the "Bird" series and the various J-200 incarnations look like they came from the same place that builds those gaudy circus railroad wagons they haul the animal acts around in. 

RBSinTo

Pretty sure they used to build those circus wagons in Milwaukee.

Smart enough?

Maybe it's the CW that is the same body size as Bird or Dove. If you could order a Bird or Dove from Gibson without a guard on it, you'd have a fine sounding plain Jane geetar. Always like my guitars naked anyway.

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I love Martin guitars but I find them mostly boring to look at.  

Mine are so boring I will be selling them all tomorrow. 

Most judge a guitar on the way it sounds, at least I do. 

This should be a little less boring for you its a Martin D-200. Makes me want to smack CF Martin the 4th for doing that to a poor helpless guitar.

RLU9XCU.png

Here is J-15 I once owned. Can you tell me what is jumping out at you in the excitement department?

y1FWpoy.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Fish Crumpet said:

Certainly not the sofa.

It is an ugly thing but it is made by Lazy Boy and is damn comfortable. I got the sofa and love seat for dirt cheap off the show room floor.

Once again my Neandertal thumbs types the wrong thing. I typed your instead of you. I fixed it. I used my pinky this time.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It is an ugly thing but it is made by Lazy Boy and is damn comfortable. I got the sofa and love seat for dirt cheap off the show room floor.

Once again my Neandertal thumbs types the wrong thing. I typed your instead of you. I fixed it. I used my pinky this time.

I don't know how to  edit my posts.... or "like" someone else's.

31 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I don't know how to  edit my posts.... or "like" someone else's.

Up in the right corner of your post is three dots. Click on that and it will let you edit or delete your post.

To like someone's post you click on the heart in the bottom right corner, and you can do emoji's too. My favorite is the poo emoji.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

If the 'Bird floats your boat, I doubt you'd be happy with an Epi. 

Yeah, I would not be so quick to discount the new "Inspired by Gibson" model.  At $800 with no case, they are only cheap when comparing them to Gibsons and other MIA guitars (Martin, etc.).  The details of the construction seem correct, and the reviews for them have been stellar.  To be clear, though, I do not say the same about the other Epi's, though.  I have not played one myself, but I am very intrigued.  It would be nice to have a Hummingbird-ish guitar, as there is NO way I would spend $4K on acoustic. LOL

Edited by 01GT eibach

Methinks JedZep is correct - it's the Country Western that is a little less blingy version of the H'Bird. The SJ/Southern Jumbo is a blingier version of the J45.   But, The CW is not in production - last one was a couple of years ago, a Sheryl Crow signature model that was way too cool for me.  And, not any cheaper than a standard H'Bird if I recall.    

Chief, when it comes to couches ...  you have great taste in guitars.    But you're right about Ferraris and Gibsons - bring the cash.  "If you have to ask how much ...   "  

And - if you think Gibson's guitars are overpriced.  Go to their Apparel / Aviator page and see what JC from Levis has done.  $170 hoodies and $64 teeshirts   !     Don't know if they plan on any selling any or if it's just signaling elitism for their main product lines - musical instruments.   

8 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Chief, when it comes to couches ...  you have great taste in guitars.    But you're right about Ferraris and Gibsons - bring the cash.  "If you have to ask how much ...   "  

And - if you think Gibson's guitars are overpriced.  Go to their Apparel / Aviator page and see what JC from Levis has done.  $170 hoodies and $64 teeshirts   !     Don't know if they plan on any selling any or if it's just signaling elitism for their main product lines - musical instruments.   

So The Gibson Lifestyle Brand is back and more expensive as ever. JC should know the price points for clothing and apparel, that used to be, and I guess still is his area of expertise.  I guess that is why Gibson when out and got him after King Henry's exit.

Since my couch is such a topic of discussion here is another shot with a nice guitar I used to own. This photo even has a nice warn and comfy blanket on it.

gpUengU.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So The Gibson Lifestyle Brand is back and more expensive as ever. JC should know the price points for clothing and apparel, that used to be, and I guess still is his area of expertise.  I guess that is why Gibson when out and got him after King Henry's exit.

Since my couch is such a topic of discussion here is another shot with a nice guitar I used to own. This photo even has a nice warn and comfy blanket on it.

gpUengU.jpg

Sarge, We have a couple of Lazy Boy sectional couches in our house.   Both Leather....the one in the family room we call  "The Couch Potato" and the one in the living room I'm rarely allowed to sit on!   Both are extremely comfortable (hence, why we named one of  them The Couch Potato).   We also have a Lazy Boy Leather chair to match the couch in the living room.

11 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Yeah, I would not be so quick to discount the new "Inspired by Gibson" model.  At $800 with no case, they are only cheap when comparing them to Gibsons and other MIA guitars (Martin, etc.).  The details of the construction seem correct, and the reviews for them have been stellar.  To be clear, though, I do not say the same about the other Epi's, though.  I have not played one myself, but I am very intrigued.  It would be nice to have a Hummingbird-ish guitar, as there is NO way I would spend $4K on acoustic. LOL

You might be right....I have zero info on the "Inspired by" Epi.    As I said, my son has an Epi Dove....it's  a great guitar for $350 brand-new.... but I wouldn't consider it 'up-scale'.   Are the "Inspired by" Epi's plywood?

15 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Up in the right corner of your post is three dots. Click on that and it will let you edit or delete your post.

To like someone's post you click on the heart in the bottom right corner, and you can do emoji's too. My favorite is the poo emoji.

I don't see a heart anywhere on my screen.....

I see the 'edit' option...thanks

3 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I don't see a heart anywhere on my screen.....

I see the 'edit' option...thanks

Its only on other people posts in the bottom right corner of the post its shaded gray.

Cause why would you need to like your own post?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper