Gibson Brands Forums

60th Anniversary SG Custom Sideways Vibrola

IOMMI

Hi again. It's me. Lol. SORRY for the huge story that's about to begin.

Today, I bring forth another question, because I need a genuine answer. I've added an imgur link. You can see the difference of the bar locations, where it rests. I've had this guitar for almost 2 months now. Yes, I know the best way to set one of these units up is to remove them. Roflmao. 

I'm starting to go, slightly, insane with this vibrola unit(that I don't even use because I want to stay in pitch for as long as possible.) I've heard the horror stories.

What is the neutral position for one of these? It doesn't ever reset position. Are these really push/pull units to reset the position of it to neutral? To pitch? You push the bar up, sharp. You pull it, flat.

I did a bend on the treble e once, without the vibrola, on the 15th fret, and it made all of the strings just fret out... everywhere. I had to move the vibrola up, and down to fix the issue. This unit requires force to use. 

The nut appears to be cut pretty well. Overall, it's a very nice piece. I'm just having weird issues when not even using the bar. LOL?

Another issue I have is... when you do use the sideways vibrola, it never comes back down into pitch. You have to pull it back down till it comes back into pitch. I've never used it dramatically. Just a slight wiggle, and unless I,  manually, move the sideways bar into a position where the strings are back in pitch, the bar will just stay there. Are these really push/pull units?

I assumed it would be, you move the vibrola unit, and it would just reset itself. I know this is how the Maestro/Lyre Vibrolas work. You can move the bar up, or down, not dramatically, and the pitch will reset itself. Is mine defective(more so than the others? Lol!)

My apologies for the ridiculous read. I wish I could show everyone what I mean. I thought these units would be SORT OF usable, or that they wouldn't just do weird things to your strings when playing without using it. Frets out, sometimes, if you bend a string too far with your finger. Roflmao? When you use it, you have to retune like 5 times, because it'll just keep going out without using it. 

I do love this guitar, and I love my SG Diablo as well. I'm just seeking some guidance. I don't want to remove it. I just want to know why it's being weird, and requiring a little bit of force to use. Should I contact Gibson about it? 

Thanks. 

http://imgur.com/gallery/X8nGa36

Edited by IOMMI
Adding photos.
  • Like 1

1 no magic on posting pictures here, get yourself a public imaging site like imgur.com and past/post the jpg link.

2 don't get mad but there's a reason why guitars with "standard " transmissions have been a frustration to many guitarists that they've blocked the tremo 

Good luck; but now you know how to post pictures for the vibrolo experts to see

• Like 1

Sounds as if your guitar needs a good set-up.   And the vibrato needs oil or vaseline to loosen it up a bit.

There is currently another forum member experiencing the same problem -

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Sounds as if your guitar needs a good set-up.   And the vibrato needs oil or vaseline to loosen it up a bit.

There is currently another forum member experiencing the same problem -

I was afraid of this. The dreadful vibrola setup. It plays well, but yeah, I bet the vibrola needs attention. Thanks. I'll go look. :]

9 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

1 no magic on posting pictures here, get yourself a public imaging site like imgur.com and past/post the jpg link.

2 don't get mad but there's a reason why guitars with "standard " transmissions have been a frustration to many guitarists that they've blocked the tremo 

Good luck; but now you know how to post pictures for the vibrolo experts to see

I'll do this.  I have imgur. Thanks. I was thinking of just blocking the vibrola, but I'm hoping to make it usable. Thanks again. :]