Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Standard Tribute truss rod area cracked?

Vitreous

I received a new Gibson SG Tribute about a week ago and last night took off the truss rod cover and noticed what looks like a crack. I’m just curious if it is actually a crack or just how the truss rod channel was routed out. Pic attached.  

04A65DA3-BB9F-430F-83A9-F50B35471C41.jpeg

8 hours ago, Lungimsam said:

But what is that cracked piece above the trod and under the nut?

Yeah that’s sort of suspect to me… I know when they place a TR in the neck, they have a groove that it rests in, then they cover it with another piece of wood before laying the fretboard on it. Looks like the piece of wood that covers up the TR channel has separated from where it should have been glued together. I’d do a return if it were me. Neck issues are something I don’t touch with a 10’ rod. 

Thanks for the replies. I initially was going to loosen the truss rod because there was no relief. That’s when I noticed the crack. It’s been a while since I owned a Gibson and wasn’t sure if this was normal. So I should be returning it then?  

You could call Gibson and ask if it is normal? Or the dealer. On my Les Paul DCTribute bass I see what it looks like that piece of wood sticking out of mine too but it’s all covered up with globular paint so I can’t see what condition that piece of wood is in.

It looks like a shim that was set in there to level up the top of the trussrod channel.  Just looks like it wasn't trimmed off.  It's not loose, is it?

Plus, the darn trussrod cover screw hole is drilled off-center.  Don't they have any two-eyed people there, lol?

• Like 1

Rather than a crack it looks like the maple filler strip is not tight in the truss rod channel. At least at that point where you can see. It’s on the side of the channel where a router bit would normally cause tear out. Probably just some router tear out at the end of the channel

On 6/19/2021 at 8:58 AM, badbluesplayer said:

It looks like a shim that was set in there to level up the top of the trussrod channel.  Just looks like it wasn't trimmed off.  It's not loose, is it?

Plus, the darn trussrod cover screw hole is drilled off-center.  Don't they have any two-eyed people there, lol?

Yeah cyclops-osarus's have no depth perception. I'd send it back to if it were mine. I don't care if it is fine. Never should have made it past QA. Lets hide the mistake under the TRC, no one ever looks there.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah cyclops-osarus's have no depth perception. I'd send it back to if it were mine. I don't care if it is fine. Never should have made it past QA. Lets hide the mistake under the TRC, no one ever looks there.

Maybe a boatload of eye-patched pirates got lost and ended up in Nashville and they all got jobs at Gibson, seeing as they're good at woodworking from having to make their own legs.