Gibson Brands Forums

Distortion pedals

hey guys ,  I've always preferred to use the amps distortion versus the clean channel & a pedal. fewer knobs to fool with.  but this Fender DeVille  4x10 / 60 watts is such a beast I'm starting to lean towards  the clean channel/pedal option.  any thoughts, suggestions, preferences ?

• Like 1

A lot of options.  I was using an Xotic AC+ with one side for boost and the other on full dirt, plus a VS Route 66 which is a pretty good TS clone.

When I get back to gigging it'll be with a KOT and a Rat.   Depends on what you need.  I need a near-clean boost, a TS-style OD and occasionally a full distortion.   Then you can stack 'em and that's fun too.[wink]

A lot of people like the Fulltone OCD though I'm not familiar with it. 

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, jdgm said:

A lot of options.  I was using an Xotic AC+ with one side for boost and the other on full dirt, plus a VS Route 66 which is a pretty good TS clone.

When I get back to gigging it'll be with a KOT and a Rat.   Depends on what you need.  I need a near-clean boost, a TS-style OD and occasionally a full distortion.   Then you can stack 'em and that's fun too.[wink]

A lot of people like the Fulltone OCD though I'm not familiar with it. 

you're right on track with what I've been thinking, two separate or a two in one pedal, set up for mild & full on ... I have a great clean boost from our old pal Surfpup ...   yea, I've been looking at the Fulltones too. but I've never used one. a lot of people seem to like them.

Edited by Karloff

Fulltone OCD is good, but it's not going to give you a "marshall like "rip, but it will work great in front of that amp  (as you know, I have a 4x10 deville, got that in the last century.. 🙂 )

If you can find one, the Barber Burn Unit is a darn good OD pedal.   Has two levels, with separate volume and gain setting

• Thanks 1

I have probably purchased 25-30 distortion pedals over the years. I have sold almost as many. I have tried the DS-1, Tube Screamer, OCD,  .....you name it.

I finally found what I think are the two best distortion/gain pedals out there. The first one is the Radial Tonebone Hot British pedal. There are a few different kinds of these Radials. I prefer the Hot British. You can shape the tone to sound however you want it. I love this pedal.

Next is the Carl Martin Plexi Tone. It is also a great pedal. It sound similar to the Radial, but it does not have as many switches, and ways to shape your tone and get the type of distortion you want. It does however have a boost button, which the Tonebone does not have. 

Both pedals are not cheap. I don't think they still make the Tonebone. I could be wrong. But you can find used ones for $100-$200. I think th Carl Martins are still for sale. They are about $225 brand new. 

I highly recommend either one of these pedals. [thumbup]

Tonebone Hot British Tube Drive Effects Pedal     153122000000000-02-500x500.jpg

Edited by brad1
  • Like 2

Man, that stuff sure came a long way since when back in the "day" the only effects you got with an amp was reverb and tremolo, And the only way anyone could get a "fuzz" tone(if the $40 price tag couldn't be met) was to poke holes in the amp's speaker's diaphragm with a Phillips screwdriver.  :rolleyes:

And I did know a few dimwits who've done that. [-X

Whitefang

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brad1 said:

I have probably purchased 25-30 distortion pedals over the years. I have sold almost as many. I have tried the DS-1, Tube Screamer, OCD,  .....you name it.

I finally found what I think are the two best distortion/gain pedals out there. The first one is the Radial Tonebone Hot British pedal. There are a few different kinds of these Radials. I prefer the Hot British. You can shape the tone to sound however you want it. I love this pedal.

Next is the Carl Martin Plexi Tone. It is also a great pedal. It sound similar to the Radial, but it does not have as many switches, and ways to shape your tone and get the type of distortion you want. It does however have a boost button, which the Tonebone does not have. 

Both pedals are not cheap. I don't think they still make the Tonebone. I could be wrong. But you can find used ones for $100-$200. I think th Carl Martins are still for sale. They are about $225 brand new. 

Tonebone Hot British Tube Drive Effects Pedal     153122000000000-02-500x500.jpg

you sound like me. I'll buy them then sell them. although I wish I'd kept the Tech 21 XXL drive I had in around '94.  I'll check these out. thnx

18 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Man, that stuff sure came a long way since when back in the "day" the only effects you got with an amp was reverb and tremolo, And the only way anyone could get a "fuzz" tone(if the $40 price tag couldn't be met) was to poke holes in the amp's speaker's diaphragm with a Phillips screwdriver.  :rolleyes:

And I did know a few dimwits who've done that. [-X

Whitefang

when I was 13, my 1st amp was a crappy no name amp with two 5" speakers. cut slits in them with a pocket knife for a fuzz tone. lol. 

• Haha 1

I find all of the two/three/four in ones to be tiresome quickly.  They are all trying to be your tone secret, which is a noble aim, but doesn't work for me.

I'm currently using two(2) Wampler Tumnus Deluxe.  One for all out grind, one for the cleans, and the one for cleans I use as a lift at solo time while using the one for all out grind.

I'm back where I was quite a few years ago when I used two OCD the same way.

Good luck with it, it is a pain in the neck trying to get the right combination.

rct

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brad1 said:

I almost did mention that I also use a ToneBone Classic,  it's similar to the Hot British.  Very well built, tank like   however, doesn't use a standard 9v power supply.

Edited by kidblast
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I almost did mention that I also use a ToneBone Classic,  it's similar to the Hot British.  Very well built, tank like   however, doesn't use a standard 9v power supply.

Ah, yea. I'm currently using one of the daisy chain power supplies.  

I have only had 6 pedals total since I first played at 13.  Two I sold when I married, I still have 4.  Hardly use them as I mostly use the amp settings. This new Marshall amp I bought a few days ago is just as good if not better than the old Vox amp I had.  Better I think because it has lots of sustain which I could not get on that Vox amp and its much louder if I want. 

• Thanks 1

Never liked any I've ever used. The last one I bought was one of these. Its got a tube in it. It lights up when its on. I had admired Jimmy Herrings sound and he has a simple rig with one of these in. Big mistake. Its sounds... uninteresting! I part X't it next chance I got. 

Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor Overdrive Pedal: Amazon.co.uk: Musical  Instruments

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Retired said:

I have only had 6 pedals total since I first played at 13.  Two I sold when I married, I still have 4.  Hardly use them as I mostly use the amp settings. This new Marshall amp I bought a few days ago is just as good if not better than the old Vox amp I had.  Better I think because it has lots of sustain which I could not get on that Vox amp and its much louder if I want. 

yep, over the years I've kinda had a love/hate affair with pedals.  much like my feelings for the Yankees. lol.  I prefer the amps gain.  I do have 3 great boost pedals from Surfpup. 

There are good pedals and there are bad pedals (distortion that is).  Also, depends where you put them in regarding signal-chain location - e.g. before (pre)amp input. 

Same goes for amp distortion.  I've seen amps with distortion that isn't worth crap, and seen some amps with pure goodness when you turn up the gain. 

Either way, I believe that if your amp is crap, doesn't matter how many pedals you add to the signal-chain.  As the saying goes, can't polish a turd. 

You guys throw some great choices out there but I'm just a simple kind a man. For years now I've used the Boss Blues Driver into a Boss Distortion pedal. On a good day, if the winds just right and the temperature outside reaches a balmy 77  degrees I can find my Santana tone on the neck pup. 

• Like 1