Gibson Brands Forums

Distortion pedals

3 minutes ago, cookieman15061 said:

You guys throw some great choices out there but I'm just a simple kind a man. For years now I've used the Boss Blues Driver into a Boss Distortion pedal. 

I've seen people dial in some great bluesy tones using just a Fender amp and a Boss DS-1.  Sometimes simple is better. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cookieman15061 said:

You guys throw some great choices out there but I'm just a simple kind a man. For years now I've used the Boss Blues Driver into a Boss Distortion pedal. On a good day, if the winds just right and the temperature outside reaches a balmy 77  degrees I can find my Santana tone on the neck pup. 

and that's what I wound up buying. the Blues Driver

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 8:24 AM, NighthawkChris said:

There are good pedals and there are bad pedals (distortion that is).  Also, depends where you put them in regarding signal-chain location - e.g. before (pre)amp input. 

Same goes for amp distortion.  I've seen amps with distortion that isn't worth crap, and seen some amps with pure goodness when you turn up the gain. 

Either way, I believe that if your amp is crap, doesn't matter how many pedals you add to the signal-chain.  As the saying goes, can't polish a turd. 

it's a nice amp ...

On 6/15/2021 at 10:58 AM, zigzag said:

I found out about the MXR Super Badass distortion pedal on this forum, and it is my favorite pedal, even though I don't use it that much. Has so many great tones.

11075000001.MAIN__26148.1576897826.jpg?c

I second that motion. 

The MXR Super Badass is a versatile pedal. 
Great tones and sounds. 

🙂

11 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Overdrive pedals with tubes/valves… whatever are pretty nice. @kidblast recommended me a nice tube gain pedal a while back. I liked it but I ended up putting that money towards my Mesa Fillmore amp which has a pretty damn good distortion sound when it gets dialed in. 

good choice there... I prefer just the amp tones too.   I'm diggin the Marhsall JVM head and cab rig I scooped up in May, thing sounds amazing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I second that motion. 

The MXR Super Badass is a versatile pedal. 
Great tones and sounds. 

🙂

Sparky,  this has sparked (no pun intended)  my interest. between you & Zig's comment. my buddies store has a used one in. I'm going to check it out ... 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Overdrive pedals with tubes/valves… whatever are pretty nice. @kidblast recommended me a nice tube gain pedal a while back. I liked it but I ended up putting that money towards my Mesa Fillmore amp which has a pretty damn good distortion sound when it gets dialed in. 

nice. damn ...  I've had some nice pedals over the years but always seem to wind up using the amp versus a distortion pedal.  back in '94 or '95 I had a Tech 21 XXL distortion pedal I really liked. wish I'd kept it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

nice. damn ...  I've had some nice pedals over the years but always seem to wind up using the amp versus a distortion pedal.  back in '94 or '95 I had a Tech 21 XXL distortion pedal I really liked. wish I'd kept it. 

It seems that IME the amp is really the best part of providing tone.  The guitar helps, but an amp can make a decent guitar sound acceptable at the very least.  Conversely, a bad amp can make a great guitar sound poor. 

Back in the real early 90s I used a DOD Metal X pedal.  They are considered rare today, but it has a very nice high-gain sound going straight into the amp's "main" input.  This is where I get into the amp part of it.  It literally sounds like dog s*** in some run-of-the-mill amp that you had when you were an aspiring teenager (haha) but when I use this pedal in a nice tube amp going into the front-end of it, WOW!  It gives a nice thrashy type of distortion - great shred tone.  But of course, I'm not that much into playing metal like this a lot these days.  My R9 doesn't do metal very well.  But...  that R9 sounds great with some dirt using my amp's gain channel outputs.  I find that I am doing more adjustment on my guitar's tone/volume knobs as I get older as opposed to when again, teen years, these knobs were full-open all day long.  You know, we wanted to make as much noise as possible to piss off the neighbors 😄  - and mom.  Wasn't about the tone back then, haha! 

Still have my Metal X pedal and changed that crappy momentary contact (plunger) switch that gets pressed under the footpad where it reliably turns on/off with minimal foot depression.  Come to think of it, I replaced these plunger switches in my age-old RP-7 valve pedal board -  again from late 90s or something...  It's vintage by today's standards, haha! 

JOkM3DN.jpg

Now, not recommending these, but they still work.  Obviously still plugged in so using the RP7 for mod effects - but mainly just let it pass-thru in the effects loop.  It sucks going into the front input...  Don't know how to describe it other than it sucks if it is not connected after the preamp (in effects loop).  It MIGHT improve a crappier amp, but wouldn't count on it.  It served its purpose back then. 

In the end, what type of music one plays the most will determine what they need I believe.  I just am in the belief that you put the money into the amp as opposed to a bunch of signal-chain processing items.  IDK... I'm not much of a guy for effects.  I prefer a good spring reverb dialed in mostly to add slight depth to the tone, but don't get into the strange stuff so much...  I mean, can be tastefully done, but I don't want the guitar effects to make up the song.  Also easier to gig when your equipment is minimal - less cables to connect, things to go wrong, etc.  I like to bring a couple cables, a good tube combo, and of course my guitar to the gig - that's about it. 

Edited by NighthawkChris
typos
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Karloff said:

Sparky,  this has sparked (no pun intended)  my interest. between you & Zig's comment. my buddies store has a used one in. I'm going to check it out ... 

It's a great one. 
With it I can dial in simple boost, a little distortion, serious dirt, fuzz, a wall of Foghat, you name it. 

My bass player buddy fancied mine so much I gave it to him. 
But I plan on getting another one for myself again. 

🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sparquelito said:

It's a great one. 
With it I can dial in simple boost, a little distortion, serious dirt, fuzz, a wall of Foghat, you name it. 

My bass player buddy fancied mine so much I gave it to him. 
But I plan on getting another one for myself again. 

🙂

well I went to buy / check it out & I wound up buying a EH Soul Preacher Nano compressor. lol

• Like 1

Amp channel plus OD on "grumble". Just about any will do. A TS9, an MXR... 

Full on distortion pedal, I'm usually disappointed. Get an amp that does distortion good instead, and use an overdrive if you need coloring. I find most amps' distortion channels are as good or better than most pedals these days. YMMV. 

Edited by Pinch
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 1:11 PM, mihcmac said:

My favorite fuzz from the early 70's the Rosac Nu-Fuzz.

iymynqcejmuhbayd0qrf.jpg

the original circuitry all fit into what looked like a small wafer cap.

That’s cool. Do they use the sprague encapsulated circuit like the silicon fuzzrites?

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 2:28 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

That’s cool. Do they use the sprague encapsulated circuit like the silicon fuzzrites?

Don't know.

sorry it looks like the link got deleted.

anyway here is the CB..

KmKtULk.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Don't know.

gEgabL3LzkfUyD-rjXE1dt0hqQmSbZca2Rfl-xWn

That is the sprague module so aside from possible variations in pot values it’s pretty safe to say you basically have a vintage silicon fuzzrite in a more modern build

in so many words… really cool pedal

I have the germanium fuzzrite and the silicon fuzzrite and they’re super fun. I haven’t tried a copy that I like as much as the originals 

• Like 1