Gibson Brands Forums

Truth

rct

Paul McCartney was the bass player in The Beatles.

Well most or the time, George of John would play every now and then when Paul was on keys. He also played drums on a few tracks when Ringo quit for a bit during the recording of The Beatles (The White Album)

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Never heard of that band.  And, who was George and what did he play?  [wink]

Whitefang

When I listen to "The Traveling Wilbury's" George is a stand out....not only on guitar...but his singing is up there close to Roy Orbison's, (certainly better than Dylan, Petty and even Jeff Lynne).   Listen to the guitar work in "End Of The Line"!

4 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Never heard of that band.  And, who was George and what did he play?  [wink]

Whitefang

I miss typed it should have said George or John played bass when Paul was on keys. He sang and was the lead guitarist for this little known band called The Beatles.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I miss typed it should have said George or John played bass when Paul was on keys. He sang and was the lead guitarist for this little known band called The Beatles.

Sure, I knew that.  Was just havin' fun yanking your chain.  But I would think that with 16 tracks at their disposal, Paul would have played both bass and keys, putting each on different tracks. 

Or, like in one case(or two) bring Billy Preston in to handle the keys.  [wink]

Whitefang

8 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Sure, I knew that.  Was just havin' fun yanking your chain.  But I would think that with 16 tracks at their disposal, Paul would have played both bass and keys, putting each on different tracks. 

Whitefang

From what I read and have seen in docs, a lot of what they did they tracked live, sure they overdubbed. Its crazy how a band that only recorded from '63 and the last album that was supposed to come out was in '69 and we are still talking about them and interested in them. Think of what they could have done if they had a few more years together?

Whitefang

It was said they always behaved better when a guest was in the studio, which didn't happen much. 

Whitefang

The board they used at Abbey Road for nearly all of their work was a 4 track with one broken input.  So essentially a three track machine that they had to be really careful with the bouncing.  In them days you could only put two, three tracks on to one or you would start distorting badly.  Tom Dowd went over and fixed it finally, so they had the actual 4.

rct

15 minutes ago, rct said:

The board they used at Abbey Road for nearly all of their work was a 4 track with one broken input.  So essentially a three track machine that they had to be really careful with the bouncing.  In them days you could only put two, three tracks on to one or you would start distorting badly.  Tom Dowd went over and fixed it finally, so they had the actual 4.

rct

What a nice guy and great engineer and producer. 

But I just looked this up and who knows with the net.

Abbey Road was recorded on eight-track reel-to-reel tape machines rather than the four-track machines that were used for earlier Beatles albums such as Sgt Pepper, and was the first Beatles album not to be issued in mono.

I even got a name drop.

I think during the making of The Beatles (The White Album) at Abbey Road, I think then  it was know as EMI, got one of the first 8 track boards in England. But what do I know?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I think Dowd was part of that getting an 8 track thing.  Bouncing 8 tracks was marginally better than bouncing 4 tracks, not twice as good, like one might think.  Tape was crap.  What them guys did with it was amazing, one of the few times using that word actually means something.

rct

Edited by rct

At the mid-point of his career, the sports talking heads were beginning to refer to Wayne Gretzky as "the Babe Ruth of hockey".

By the time Gretzky retired, some of the same talking heads were referring to Babe Ruth as "the Wayne Gretzky of baseball".

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

OK, so then WHICH guitarist is known as the WHICH sports figure of guitar ?  [blink] (or vice-versa)

Whitefang

Geddy Lee loved baseball and collects signed balls. He is the Hank Arron of the bass.