Gibson Brands Forums

Problem from celaning es335 pickup cover

Kampanat

Hi, 

I have this beautiful es335 re63...

As the pick up cover started to get dirty, I ordered the Gibson vintage cleaning set.. I use this metal cleaning solution to clean the pick up cover.. at the time I finished cleaning it look really great.. but then after that 1 day I notice the color of the pick turn a little yellow/green 😱....

anyone know what is happening here ? And is there a way to fix this ?

A143820E-6E1C-4ED4-9A24-0C4EEC5B15F8.jpeg

C99B0D9C-D14A-4B4E-BC23-435BA903A0A5.jpeg

From the pic it looks as if the covers are brass and the chrome or nickel plating - which is microscopically thin - has come off....which is what often happens with Gibson gold plating - it's so thin it doesn't last.

Hope someone else can comment on this? :-k

Edited by jdgm

hi JDGM,

thank for your comment,
😭 this is very sad. When finished cleaning it actually look  Very good (mage below ).......just like how it was when I bought them... then after that 1 day  it started to changed color...... 

anyway I can fix this beside changing the cover ? I just want to keep this with its original part 

FBE0ADE3-C719-4279-AE19-379A28E0DDDD.jpeg

I avoid metal cleaners…  For Pickups Covers & hard places to reach I use a Q Tip with a small dab of Mothers Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax non-abrasive formula (Step3). The same as I use to Polish my Guitars & Cars…  Then Polish with a Micro Fiber  cloth. I use a clean Q Tip to Polish the hard to reach nooks & crannies. No issues & they look beautiful…

I hope you can return your beautiful Guitar back to perfect.. Good luck…

Edited by Larsongs

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So their own marketed product screwed up the coating on their own pickup? Classic. I smell a lawsuit.

They just got the name wrong "Gibson's Metal Relicer" would be more like it.

It'd be all the rage, it would sell out like BrightO...

what a shame really...  I'd be pretty bummed as I'm sure Kampanat is.

and I'm wonderin  what the heck happened to the B string?  that stuff melt it?  🙂

Edited by kidblast

3 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Yep relic your pups with our cleaner/ruiner. I’d be pissed too. 

26 minutes ago, kidblast said:

and I'm wonderin  what the heck happened to the B string?  that stuff melt it?  🙂

I think I already being very careful on this and only choose to use “metal cleaner” from Gibson in which specifically for vintage/reissue..... quite shock how it turn out...

Nothing with B string, I shot this photo when restring  my guitar

2 hours ago, Kampanat said:

I think I already being very careful on this and only choose to use “metal cleaner” from Gibson in which specifically for vintage/reissue..... quite shock how it turn out...

Nothing with B string, I shot this photo when restring  my guitar

I was only kidding about the B string thing...

I usually just use a cotton rag and some water to dampen it,  that usaully does a pretty good job for me,, 

anything that is an abrasive, you're taking surface material off..  mild or not,  that's what they do,, unfortunate out come here tho, 

you seemed to have been mindful enough to try to use the right stuff.  it just didn't work out quite that way.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:37 PM, Kampanat said:

I Still not quite understand about this too because I also use this to clean the stop tailpiece too (which I think it’s nickel too)  ...but till now it’s still look ok with no any problem....but that pickup cover  :(((

The stop tailpiece will be aluminium or metal but not brass. 

I can't be entirely sure that what I suggested in my post above is what has happened (without more good close-up pics), but I can't imagine what else it could be.

Anyone?:-k

The Gold plating on Gibsons is less than paper thin… No abrasive should be used on those Parts.. There should be a Warning label!

if you used a Gibson Cleaner on a Gibson Guitar & have that result you should call Gibson Customer Service on the Phone… No emails..

Tell them you’re not happy with their Cleaning product ruining the pickups & you want to send the Guitar back to the Factory for them to Refinish or replace the Pickups.. 

Edited by Larsongs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it's  gold plated cover it will wear easily just by playing it. It might be late for you; but should you replace the gold covers, use clear nail polish on areas that you normally wear out. Usually, pickup wear is on the outer high e string areas where you rest or touch the pickups. Also, areas on the low E bridge area. Just be careful not to accidentally get it (acetone) on the finish or inside the pickup screws. I've done this to at least seven gold plated Gibsons and it keeps that new look longer.

Otherwise, just shut your eyes and enjoy playing them with your ears.