Gibson Brands Forums

Zappa's Final Tour Album Released Today

Sgt. Pepper

I'm playing side 6 right now. Frank and the boys are doing a Beatles Medley of Norwegian Wood, Lucy In The Sky and Strawberry Fields and changed the lyrics to bash Jimmy Swaggert. Damn funny.

My only criticism of it is that since vinyl is limited to just a bit over 20 minuets a side, songs that are long and the way Frank segues a few songs have had to start one side and be finished on the next side. Other than that there has not been a pop or click or any static on one second of the albums. All the Zappa 180g vinyl I have purchased over the past few years have sounded fantastic.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I bought the CDs, put it on my Ipod and listened while doing my weekly yard work last Sunday.  Made doing the work more tolerable.

I saw him in concert twice in the 80s, once in Buffalo and once at the N.Y.S. fair in Syracuse.  Both great shows.  The most memorable thing about the concerts for me was every time Frank put his guitar down a tech would run out, grab it and tune it off stage.

11 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I bought the CDs, put it on my Ipod and listened while doing my weekly yard work last Sunday.  Made doing the work more tolerable.

I saw him in concert twice in the 80s, once in Buffalo and once at the N.Y.S. fair in Syracuse.  Both great shows.  The most memorable thing about the concerts for me was every time Frank put his guitar down a tech would run out, grab it and tune it off stage.

I saw him 3 times on the '84 tour and the last time was on Franks 44th Birthday. Great thing about a Frank show is nothing is ever the same twice. All three shows had different setlists. 

Here is the setlist I got from the guy on the sound board after the show in Berkeley, CA. I believe Frank wrote it cause who else is gonna write the setlist to his show but him and my mouse pad.

b1PZw1D.jpg

zfEBCcX.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

That set list is a great memento.  I'm using a Les Paul mouse pad I got for Christmas a couple years ago.  It's so grungy you can barely see the guitars now.

Another thing I vividly remember about the shows is how they didn't take a break between songs.  I was amazed at how the aptly named Chad Wackerman could wack on those drums non-stop for over 2 hours.

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

That really was the best thing, you never knew what you were going to get.

Some nights he just conducted, other nights it was all guitar.

We will never see the likes of him again.

Yes, but at least Dweez is making his dad proud and playing his music and doing a damn fine job.

3 hours ago, Bronx said:

That set list is a great memento.  I'm using a Les Paul mouse pad I got for Christmas a couple years ago.  It's so grungy you can barely see the guitars now.

Another thing I vividly remember about the shows is how they didn't take a break between songs.  I was amazed at how the aptly named Chad Wackerman could wack on those drums non-stop for over 2 hours.

My mouse pad at work may shock most, its the Abbey Road cover.

7 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I've seen Dweezil twice, it's nice to hear the music again, the band is always really tight and Dweezil is quite the guitar player.

Were the drinks cheap?

Seen him twice as well. One tour he started out and played Hot Rats in its entirety and I saw him a few years before that. Met him and he signed my ticket stub. Its funny he was dating that poppy singer Lisa Loeb. She's easy on the eyes, but her music is dog poo.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper