Gibson Brands Forums

Completely frustrated with static electricity issues on a 2018 Explorer

GraceToo

It's easier to buy another guitar than it is to figure out why all this stuff happens to some guitars.

First of all, the guitar is used, so any argument you have is with the seller.  Maybe the guitar was kept in a bad environment.  High humidity?  Sealed up for three years?  Who knows?

Nitro finishes are inconsistent.  A certain percentage have problems.  That may be why the original owner sold it.

Gibson occasionally messes with their lacquer and their process.  Whether or not the "static line" way of finishing is a problem is way over my pay grade.

• 2 weeks later...

My brand new Standard does it. I contacted Gibson who told me it is 100% normal. It’s the electrostatic charge they use to help the nitro adhere to the guitar.

It may or may not go away with use.

And no, shielding does bugger all! 

4 hours ago, LPRich said:

My brand new Standard does it. I contacted Gibson who told me it is 100% normal. It’s the electrostatic charge they use to help the nitro adhere to the guitar.

It may or may not go away with use.

And no, shielding does bugger all! 

It’s pretty sad that this is considered “normal” by Gibson, and it guarantees that I won’t be purchasing a new Gibson any time soon. Why spend multiple thousands on a guitar that you can’t even record with? Seems like it’s just the luck of the draw as to whether or not you get one with static problems… I’d be curious to know when they started using this electrostatic finishing process — if only to ensure that any used Gibson I purchase was manufactured BEFORE its implementation.

• 4 weeks later...

My new 50’s LP also has the dreaded Gibson crackle. Oh well! It’s a freaking awesome guitar so it’s a keeper. But I understand the OP returning it. Crossed my mind for about a minute and a half. 
A call in to Gibson confirmed that it’s the electrostatic part of the finishing procedure. No shielding in the universe will fix it. For those that did get results may very well have had a different issue. But if it’s coming from the back of the neck and body, it’s the finish itself.

Dryer sheets works fine for me. I’ll only use it on the neck when recording. Just playing, I don’t even notice it anymore.

It will go away in time.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:27 PM, LPRich said:

My new 50’s LP also has the dreaded Gibson crackle. Oh well! It’s a freaking awesome guitar so it’s a keeper. But I understand the OP returning it. Crossed my mind for about a minute and a half. 
A call in to Gibson confirmed that it’s the electrostatic part of the finishing procedure. No shielding in the universe will fix it. For those that did get results may very well have had a different issue. But if it’s coming from the back of the neck and body, it’s the finish itself.

Dryer sheets works fine for me. I’ll only use it on the neck when recording. Just playing, I don’t even notice it anymore.

It will go away in time.

A brand new 50's LP sets you back a cool $3,200 in Canada before tax. Having to rub dryer sheets on a brand new $3,200 guitar for an indeterminate amount of time would be a fairly major deal breaker for me. It was certainly a deal breaker for me on a $1,300 used guitar that was first purchased 2.5-3 years ago, back in 2018. 🙂 How long does a person have to wait, exactly, for a Gibson guitar affected by this issue to stop being a crackling mess? How many years of gumming up the finish with dryer sheets, how many years of having to re-record takes thanks to annoying finish-related crackles if you just so happen to move the guitar slightly against your body?

Not sure why they continue to insist on applying an electrostatic charge to their guitars when they know it causes this problem...

P.S. I spent the money I got back for the Explorer on a brand new American Performer Telecaster. No static problems whatsoever, not even from the pickguard. Killer guitar, and I don't have to re-record perfect takes multiple times due to annoying crackling while sliding my hand up the neck.

Edited by GraceToo

You did one thing right, got rid of the guitar and got something that makes you happy.  The next thing you need to do is stop discussing this static thing for ages.  It's been since June and again, guitar is gone - out of your life.  You're not going to continue on this conversation to convince me to sell all my 14 Gibson guitars that have NO STATIC.  Even if they do, I don't hear it.  Never been booed off the stage for static pops coming out of my Gibson. 

Calling Bono...  Bono anyone?  I tend to post frightful images of him.  Last time I had nightmares of what I saw! 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

You did one thing right, got rid of the guitar and got something that makes you happy.  The next thing you need to do is stop discussing this static thing for ages.  It's been since June and again, guitar is gone - out of your life.  You're not going to continue on this conversation to convince me to sell all my 14 Gibson guitars that have NO STATIC.  Even if they do, I don't hear it.  Never been booed off the stage for static pops coming out of my Gibson. 

Calling Bono...  Bono anyone?  I tend to post frightful images of him.  Last time I had nightmares of what I saw! 

What on earth are you going on about? I’m not trying to convince anyone to sell their Gibsons, particularly if they DON’T have static problems related to the finishing process. What I would like to see is Gibson making an effort to ensure that expensive guitars are not leaving their factory with this problem. People keep responding to the thread, which is the only reason why I myself keep responding.

LPRich, if it’s not a problem, why did you respond to this thread four weeks after the last post to say your new LP has this “dreaded” static issue? Why did you say you considered returning the guitar because of it? Clearly it IS at least somewhat of a problem for you, because why say anything weeks later after the original discussion ended, why say you considered returning it, if it wasn’t a problem?

Maybe Gibson would do right by their customers and finally fix this issue if more people held them accountable. If some guitars are leaving the factory with crackling finishes secondary to the finishing process, then that’s a QC issue that needs to be addressed.

Edited by GraceToo

Electrostatic applications has been employed across multiple segments of industries that need to apply a even level of paint/clear coat. 

Not all Guitars exhibit the static is it really how the finish is applied?

Probably how it interacts with clothes, think all anyone needs to do is regular namptha cleaning and watch what one wears

Btw GraceToo no one from Gibson will read this forum,  the moderator barely shows here.

Torches and pitchforks won't help change an industry 

Edited by Eracer_Team

@GraceToo, I'm just confused what your purpose is to keep saying the same stuff over and over monitoring this thread that you resolved - got rid of guitar and got a Tele.  Why keep repeating yourself that you're disappointed, Gibson needs to change its process, unacceptable for the price, etc.  It's old man...  Again, purpose. 

• Haha 1

Well Grace Too, yes I used the word “dreaded”. Guilty! Three words later I said “ oh well”, signifying that too me at least, it’s not that bad. For example, “ It’s going to rain today, oh well!

Yes, I agree with you. It should not happen. I don’t believe anyone hear thinks it should.
Why did I respond 4 week later? That’s very simple to answer. That was the time period between my visits. Also, it’s called being social. Enjoying being part of this community.

When I said I had briefly consider returning it, that was weeks before that post, (if we’re marking time now) when the guitar was brand new. My conversation with Gibson, and people on these sort of forums brought me to the conclusion that I could live with it. In all likelihood it will abate. Dryer sheets when I record, and just playing for the sake of playing…I don’t really notice it. As I also said, and you may quote me, it’s an awesome guitar. I’m keeping it!

Thank you for quoting me several times and bring this to my attention, but now I’m going to stop discussing the topic least I anger NighthawkChris 😜

🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

Edited by LPRich
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

Electrostatic applications has been employed across multiple segments of industries that need to apply a even level of paint/clear coat. 

Not all Guitars exhibit the static is it really how the finish is applied?

Probably how it interacts with clothes, think all anyone needs to do is regular namptha cleaning and watch what one wears

Btw GraceToo no one from Gibson will read this forum,  the moderator barely shows here.

Torches and pitchforks won't help change an industry 

Well, when people are calling Gibson about this problem and Gibson are telling them directly that it’s because of the electrostatic finish application… I guess it’s safe to assume that it’s really how the finish is applied. It obviously doesn’t affect all of the guitars that go through the electrostat line, but there are enough complaints out there about static Gibsons to suggest Gibson needs to examine the issue closer. This has never happened before on any other guitar I’ve ever owned in over twenty years of playing, and I’ve owned a lot.

Since no Gibson representatives read their official forum (I wasn’t aware), I guess I’ll stop responding, even though problem was not truly “resolved.” I wouldn’t really call having to give up the dream guitar you’ve wanted for years a “resolution.” I’d call it a disappointment.

For the next person who inevitably ends up with this problem and stumbles across this thread while looking for solutions: I hope you’re able to get your money back easily, and I hope you manage to get a suitable, non-crackling replacement without hassle. 

Edited by GraceToo