Gibson Brands Forums

My Daughter Has Started Her First Band

zombywoof

Yup, she had been talking about putting together a band for about two years and they had their first practice last night in our basement.  Five pieces with three ladies and two guys.  My kiddo is playing bass and will also join in on uke and percussion.   Seemed like there was more laughing and eating pizza than playing though.

I do not, however, like most of the music the kids are listening to.   So it is official.  I have become my father.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Yup, she had been talking about putting together a band for about two years and they had their first practice last night in our basement.  Five pieces with three ladies and two guys.  My kiddo is playing bass and will also join in on uke and percussion.   Seemed like there was more laughing and eating pizza than playing though.

I do not, however, like most of the music the kids are listening to.   So it is official.  I have become my father.

I think that's why kids today are so unruly.... their music sucks!    My dad HATED The Beatles...and wasn't happy when I started wearing "Beatle Boots".... but he learned to embrace them (and my boots).    So I suspect you'll survive....and you may even accept Mac Miller's - "Wear My Hat" lyrics!

45 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I think that's why kids today are so unruly.... their music sucks!    My dad HATED The Beatles...and wasn't happy when I started wearing "Beatle Boots".... but he learned to embrace them (and my boots).    So I suspect you'll survive....and you may even accept Mac Miller's - "Wear My Hat" lyrics!

My mother immediately turned me into a Stones fan because she objected to them a lot more than the Beatles.   But while their listened to some shlock such as that Jackie Gleason's Music for Lovers Only kind of stuff, my Mom was also a big Weavers fan while my Dad loved Gene Krupa.   Every Sunday morning they would listen to the previous nights opera performed at the Met on the big old tube- Leontyne Price in Verdi's Aida and such.  

22 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

My mother immediately turned me into a Stones fan because she objected to them a lot more than the Beatles.   But while their listened to some shlock such as that Jackie Gleason's Music for Lovers Only kind of stuff, my Mom was also a big Weavers fan while my Dad loved Gene Krupa.   Every Sunday morning they would listen to the previous nights opera performed at the Met on the big old tube- Leontyne Price in Verdi's Aida and such.  

That had to be torture for you as a youngin'....   When I was young, there was only one radio in our house....and my dad controlled it.... so I was force-fed a steady diet of Country & Western stuff....which I hated then, but embrace now.

Back in the late 60s early 70s, when my older brother played some Creedence, my mom would yell at him, "turn that noise off".   Later in life, when she was in her 70s-80s, she loved Creedence. So, guess nothing is set in stone.

Must be a thrill to sit in for a few bars - apart from the fact that it's just not a natural combo. 

My parents were very encouraging. Didn't really like rock or modern pop, but could see my enthusiasm and bought me records, later recorded tapes.                                                                                                                       When I was 6 they sent me down the street to buy my first LP. It was a mono version of Help! , , , and it actually stands within reach from here - as the holy item it is. 

Yes, I have thanked the old folks for this 'room' and insight.

P.S. - a Jethro Tull concert on tv once made my dad leave home. He came back from work and the show was on - think it was a promo for Too Old for Rock and Roll Too Young To Die.                                                                                                                    Have to say it made him freak out big time. . 

Remember playing a casette of On The Beach for my other father in the late 70s (yes, I had 2, which offered rich possibilities for A/Bs 😎) and he simple turned to the old cliché :

This is the emperors new clothes, , , lords bless him. 

And the old man was of course right from his Ellington-Armstrong-Garner-Webster-Basie point of view. .  

My Dad was always very encouraging with me. My best friend's entire family was into music and that's where we practiced.

I could not get my daughter interested in any stringed instruments but she did play about a dozen other instruments. We did do a few years together in a church band.

At age 7 I had my daughter playing guitar.  I taught her “ That’s Alright, Mama”.  After three weeks of playing she handed me the guitar back and firmly said, “Father, guitar is your thing,  Dance is my thing.”

She is grown now and is now a professional dancer.  True story.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1

My parents treated my playing music with a benign neglect.  They did not get it but figured it was just a phase I was going through and would soon outgrow.  I played  my first band gig in the mid-1960s.  I do not recall much about it but we had a lot more chutzpah than talent.  

Oddly the one instrument my daughter has shown no interest in is the guitar.  She is a natural musician and is particularly gifted when it comes to piano.  She then went into percussion being in the drum line at high school and in the pit orchestra and then onto the uke and finally to the bass.

Edited by zombywoof

I was a child of Eisenhower (as Billy Joel put it) my dad hated Elvis, but my mom loved him. Elvis is the reason I got my first guitar. My mom paid $25.00 for red, & black sunburst Stella, that was very hard on the fingers.

56 minutes ago, Paul14 said:

I was a child of Eisenhower (as Billy Joel put it) my dad hated Elvis, but my mom loved him. Elvis is the reason I got my first guitar. My mom paid $25.00 for red, & black sunburst Stella, that was very hard on the fingers.

I am a Truman kid.  The reason I wanted a guitar was Leadbelly and Woody Guthrie.  After I had graduated from "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" my Mom bought me  LPS by them through PCH.  I had a 1930s archtop a friend of my grandfather had given me so I was off and running.    Like many of us, I did not get into Rock & Roll until after seeing the Beatles on the Sullivan show.  My older cousins were into it during the late-1950s but  were more enamored with the plague of Bobby's than Chuck.

56 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I am a Truman kid.  The reason I wanted a guitar was Leadbelly and Woody Guthrie.  After I had graduated from "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" my Mom bought me  LPS by them through PCH.  I had a 1930s archtop a friend of my grandfather had given me so I was off and running.    Like many of us, I did not get into Rock & Roll until after seeing the Beatles on the Sullivan show.  My older cousins were into it during the late-1950s but  were more enamored with the plague of Bobby's than Chuck.

My mother had insisted on piano lesson for me. I wasn't having any of that. Went to a couple lesson thinking what am I doing here. I did have a coon skin cap though. I thought Davey was pretty cool.

On 6/19/2021 at 12:10 PM, zombywoof said:

Wow ,that`s great news . She sounds very talented .

Just support and embrace her  the band members , they are all on a musical journey like the rest of us .

You don`t have to like the music to do that.

This thread morphed a little..... My dad, most uncles and several cousins all played guitar.   There was never a time in my childhood there wasn't a guitar in the house.

I bought my first guitar, a cheap (VERY!) acoustic in Alberta..... was $20 Canadian.... gave his $20 US and he gave me back $1.   Shortly after, I got a 'Kay' solid-body electric and amp for Christmas.   When I was 14 (?) we started a band.....so my dad bought me a 1963 Fender Jaguar, with a BIG Fender Amp, (4 X 10", I think).  

We still play music when the family gets together.

Nobody in my family plays anything. Never owned an electric guitar. My father bought me my first decent guitar around 1967, 68? A Gibson B-25 for $80.00 at a pawn shop. I showed my son some cords when he was about 15. Won’t say I taught him to play, cause I don’t actually think you can teach anybody that. That’s up to the individual as to how far they take it. You can show some cords, maybe some picking patterns ect. My son has a nice collection of guitars these days, & plays much better than I do.  He never developed the love of Gibson guitars that I have, but he has some very nice guitars never the less. I played mostly with friends growing up. I hope your daughter  is having the time of her life , playing music with her friends. There’s certainly worse things she could be doing.