Gibson Brands Forums

I was surprised to learn that you could still order a Custom guitar from Bozeman.

There are limitations based on available patterns and toolings with the current backlog and pending expansion.

No delivery given except as soon as possible.

Worked with the great people at Bailey Brothers Music.

On order - L00/Aged top/RW b&s/12 fret/slim taper neck

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Good to hear. And it sounds like an interesting build. Is your deeper bodied rosewood Smeck a 12 fret, as well?

ps: 'Burst-minded minds want to know. . . 'burst or natch?

It was. All smecks are gone. The 12 fret NL is RW. M2O is a burst

Great news - though I'm not vein for that right now. Simply gettin' too old for new guitars. Takes too long to break them in. 

Yet I was bold and keen enough to contact PRE*WAR late this winter. Their dreads had me turned on - some of them are magnificent.                                                                                                                                                                                                2 years, , okay perhaps 18 months of waiting turned med off again. Phew !

Shortly after I played one the new slightly aged D-28s - twice within a few days. Not the ordinary model, but the real heavy weight Authentic 1937.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/authentic-series/D-28-Authentic-1937-Aged.html

And found out these guitars probably ain't my cup of fine wine anyway. Just like the old Banners - they sound good, but simply too vintage, rustic, raw for my style and preference.

In fact a relief to know. . . 

Edited by E-minor7

1 minute ago, E-minor7 said:

Great news - though I'm not vein for that right now. Simply gettin' too old for new guitars. Takes too long to break them in. 

Yet I was bold and keen enough to contact PRE*WAR late this winter. Their dreads had me turned on - some of them are magnificent.                                                                                                                                                                                                2 years, , okay perhaps 18 moths of waiting turned med off again. Phew !

Shortly after I played one the the new slightly aged D-28s - twice within a few days. Not the ordinary model, but the real heavy weight Authentic 1937.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/authentic-series/D-28-Authentic-1937-Aged.html

And found out these guitars probably ain't my cup of fine wine anyway. Just like the old Banners - they sound good, but simply too vintage, rustic, raw for my style and preference.

In fact a relief to know. . . 

I've had a D41 and an SJ with the aged tops and have been impressed

4 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I've had a D41 and an SJ with the aged tops and have been impressed

Good to hear. I'm still in 2 boats regarding torrefried tops. Some of them sound very impressing, some not. And no one like a real vintage guitar - it's a new third category.  

6 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Good to hear. I'm still in 2 boats regarding torrefried tops. Some of them sound very impressing, some not. And no one like a real vintage guitar - it's a new third category.  

The toasted tops still need some time to open, just not a matter of years. The Hummingbird Vintage did change noticeably. . . in one year.

2 minutes ago, 62burst said:

The toasted tops still need some time to open, just not a matter of years. The Hummingbird Vintage did change noticeably. . . in one year.

Exactly - as we all know it's an on goin' process. It'll take a new guitar 8 to 10 years to become what it's meant to be                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                A whole single object, not a series of components gathered'n'glued in some ambitious well-intended construction. 

Neato!  I have yet to hear a contrary word about terrifed tops.

While I am not sure if Bozeman would oblige me but if I was going for a Made2Order L-00 I would be asking for an elevated fretboard.  I just think it looked so cool on those guitars.   Also are you going with the standard Bozeman bracing or that which would be more in line with how they built the Legend version.

Edited by zombywoof

32 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Neato!  I have yet to hear a contrary word about terrifed tops.

While I am not sure if Bozeman would oblige me but if I was going for a Made2Order L-00 I would be asking for an elevated fretboard.  I just think it looked so cool on those guitars.   Also are you going with the standard Bozeman bracing or that which would be more in line with how they built the Legend version.

I requested a few different configurations that were not available at this time. They did offer to build me an L00 Legend but not a 12 fret.

This guitar is this body

https://images.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Guitars/2018/One-Sheets/LSL012N8-One-Sheet.pdf

with this neck

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2017/J-45-12-Fret-Edition.aspx

in a dark burst with an aged top.

13 hours ago, Dave F said:

I requested a few different configurations that were not available at this time. They did offer to build me an L00 Legend but not a 12 fret.

This guitar is this body

https://images.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Guitars/2018/One-Sheets/LSL012N8-One-Sheet.pdf

with this neck

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2017/J-45-12-Fret-Edition.aspx

in a dark burst with an aged top.

I cannot open the spec sheets.  I was just thinking that a nuked top L-00 Legend would be something to behold.  But believe I do get the 12 frets being something very desirable. 

I have been toying with the idea of going with a Fairbanks Custom Build.  Thinking of a take on a 1934 Smeck with the 3 3/4" soundhole and scalloped X bracing as opposed to the more common large soundhole non-scalloped X braced which quickly followed..   

1 hour ago, Leonard McCoy said:

Gibson never discontinued their M2M program.

I'm surprised you didn't go with the "V" shaped neck; it fits those guitars quite well.

I have a ‘32 L00 Reissue which seems to be identical to a Legend less the VOS finish. It has the Vee neck. I’ve been fighting hand issues and have been preferring the thinner necks lately.  Gettin’ old. 

3 hours ago, Dave F said:

I have a ‘32 L00 Reissue which seems to be identical to a Legend less the VOS finish. It has the Vee neck. I’ve been fighting hand issues and have been preferring the thinner necks lately.  Gettin’ old. 

That thinner neck carve sounds like it would be similar to those on the L1 although I would imagine the Bozeman version does not taper out to the thickness the originals did  .

The general take on the '32 L00 RI was that it was actually closer to a later-1930s guitar than a pre-34 instrument so your point about it being a version of the Legend which was, of course, a copy of a 1937 L-00 is well made.  I do recall there being some difference in the bracing carve though.  But my memory is not always what it should be,

Edited by zombywoof

20 hours ago, zombywoof said:

The general take on the '32 L00 RI was that it was actually closer to a later-1930s guitar than a pre-34 instrument so your point about it being a version of the Legend which was, of course, a copy of a 1937 L-00 is well made.  I do recall there being some difference in the bracing carve though.  But my memory is not always what it should be,

Here's the specs on the '32 RI and a picture of the bracing

Body

• Type: L-00
  • Top: Solid Adirondack Red Spruce
  • Back and Sides: Solid Mahogany
  • Binding: Single-ply Top, Traditional Rosette
  • Bracing: Gibson 1930's period-correct X-Braced Top with Hot Hide Glue

Neck

• Species: Mahogany
  • Profile: 1930's "V"
  • Thickness: 1.750" at Nut
  • Truss Rod: Single Action
  • Joint: Compound Dovetail
  • Construction: Joint at 14th Fret
  • Adhesive: Hide Glue

Fingerboard

• Species: Rosewood
  • Scale Length: 25"
  • Radius: 12"
  • Fret Wire: Period Correct Standard Fret Wire
  • Inlays: 1/4" Mother of Pearl Dots
  • Adhesive: Wood Glue
  • Nut Material: Black Graph Tech
  • Width: 1.750

Headstock

• Type: Traditional AJ
  • Angle: 17 Degrees
  • Logo: Gibson Silkscreen Script
  • Truss Rod Cover: Black

Tuners

• Model: 3-in-line Period Correct Cream Button
  • Tuning Ratio: 14:1

Bridge

• Type: Traditional Rectangle with Extended Slot Bone Saddle
  • Material: Rosewood

Finish

• Vintage Sunburst
  • Lacquer: Nitrocellulose
  • Process: Hand Sprayed

Case

• Type: Pre-war Red Line Case
  • Exterior: Black Tolex
  • Interior: Purple Fabric

L00 32 RI bracing

17 hours ago, Dave F said:

Here's the specs on the '32 RI and a picture of the bracing

:

• L00 32 RI bracing

Cool.  And my thanks.  The bracing in your RI does looks very similar to that in my '32 L1 only that what was used in yours looks to be heavier/thicker.  Not one brace notched into the kerfing.  Not the best way to build a guitar but it is how Gibson did it. 

The most interesting thing is the lower finger braces.  Those in mine do not have that peak but rather just a slight taper.  

A big difference would be the finish.  A '32 Gibson had a transitional finish.  The burst was still hand rubbed like earlier guitars but they also shot a thick lacquer clear coat over it like later guitars with Gibson going with a fully sprayed burst a year or so later.

But your photo has got me interested to the point if I decide I would like a 14 fret L guitar the first one I would be hunting down might well just be a '32 RI.  

Edited by zombywoof

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 12:43 AM, Dave F said:

I was surprised to learn that you could still order a Custom guitar from Bozeman.

There are limitations based on available patterns and toolings with the current backlog and pending expansion.

No delivery given except as soon as possible.

Worked with the great people at Bailey Brothers Music.

On order - L00/Aged top/RW b&s/12 fret/slim taper neck

What designs do they accept?

2 hours ago, Johan S said:

What designs do they accept?

I don't know. I had a few configurations I want to try and did a back and forth until they said this one was possible. It all centered on what tooling is available. Sounds like they put some of the patterns and tooling in storage while they are building the new addition. Ben Scott at Bailey Brothers was great to work with and had quick responses.

Wow Dave!  That sounds like it'll be an amazing guitar!  

I didn't know there was a custom program at Gibson.  Maybe it's time to look into an all hog 12 fret L-0.