Gibson Brands Forums

Did Something Today I Havent Done In At Least Three Years

Sgt. Pepper

21 hours ago, Whitefang said:

My wife's shingles didn't last that long, but sho'  'nuff it's nasty.  And from what I can find out, people who've had chicken pox as kids are more at risk of getting shingles later in life.  Both, I understand, are caused from the same virus.  I had the chicken pox when I was six,  and now 64 years later, still haven't had shingles(knock wood!)  I'll tell ya, when I go next month for my 2nd vaccine shot, I'll check into that shingles vaccine.  

Whitefang

Yes, do that. Deb said when she goes in to get her flu shot, she will ask for both a shingles and the pneumonia shots. I think the Pneumonia shot is good for 5 years? I don't think she really needs that as she never seems to get it or bronchitis but she is 65 now and thinks she needs to be protected from it all. Now me? I seem to get anything from people I'm around.  During COVID, I stayed homeward bound. During my cancer, if someone sneezed, I had Bronchitis the next day. They had my blood count down to like 2 or 3 with all the experiments they did to me. Doctors told me to stay home and not leave the house and if family members were sick then they had to stay at Grandmas house. Debbie claims that doctors told her that my blood count would come back up but never to the normal stages again. I don't know what it is but at the gym, I was picking up colds all the time from folks. Bronchitis was one I seemed to get a couple of times per year and I picked up pneumonia a few times since. Felt like I was going to die I had it so bad. So we both got our vaccinations ASAP and you never know who has gotten there's and who won't get theirs? Now the mask policy has been lifted here so I still wash and sanitize and have my mask. People that refuse to get their vaccinations aren't thinking about older folks like us. Just like the old days when folks could care less who they blew cigarette smoke in their faces. 

22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

My wife's shingles didn't last that long, but sho'  'nuff it's nasty.  And from what I can find out, people who've had chicken pox as kids are more at risk of getting shingles later in life.  Both, I understand, are caused from the same virus.  I had the chicken pox when I was six,  and now 64 years later, still haven't had shingles(knock wood!)  I'll tell ya, when I go next month for my 2nd vaccine shot, I'll check into that shingles vaccine.  

Whitefang

All 3 of us had the measles,  One of my 2 sisters might have gotten the chicken pox but I never did.  Knock on wood. 

22 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Here's what I know.... If you've had chicken Pox, the virus still lives in you.... when you get older, and your immune system gets weaker, or stressed (or both) the virus can flare up again in the form of shingles.   So, if you've had chicken pox, you're at risk to get shingles.... someone with shingles can give a non-chicken pox person Chicken Pox, but can't give them shingles.

Yes, thats what I was told by my doctor. I can get the chicken pox, but not shingles. But my wife had it bad with the shingles and still I never even got the chicken pox.  Still, I am asked if I want the shingles shot every year.  I say no but if Deb ever comes down with the shingles again, I might change my mind? Haha. 

17 minutes ago, Retired said:

Yes, thats what I was told by my doctor. I can get the chicken pox, but not shingles. But my wife had it bad with the shingles and still I never even got the chicken pox.  Still, I am asked if I want the shingles shot every year.  I say no but if Deb ever comes down with the shingles again, I might change my mind? Haha. 

I don't know how serious Chicken Pox would be in an adult..... I suspect that's what I would base my decision on.     I know I damn sure don't want shingles ever again...so I got the shots.

5 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I don't know how serious Chicken Pox would be in an adult..... I suspect that's what I would base my decision on.     I know I damn sure don't want shingles ever again...so I got the shots.

Oh I agree with you. I have never heard of an adult getting the chicken pox, Have you? Is it possible? I have no idea. At 68 years old I have never got them and from the brain tumor cancer that I had, I fell more like 78 as it feels like I aged 10 years from all that. I went through so what life I have left, I really doubt I will ever get the shingles. Plus since I never had the chicken pox, my doctor says I can't get them.  Yes, you should get the shingles shot and so should my wife. 

I guess this thread has morphed in to the new CV-19 Thread. Doesn't bother me a bit. I've don't it myself on other threads. That will show the mods, we have a covert thread.

You guys go on and vent as needed. I just can't wait till I can go to Amsterdam and shroom at the Van Gogh museum. Obvioulsy going there to smoke weed is no big deal since I think now 20 states have voted for it, to be recreational, mine is legal next week.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

37 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You guys go on and vent as needed. I just can't wait till I can go to Amsterdam and shroom at the Van Gogh museum. Obvioulsy going there to smoke weed is no big deal since I think now 20 states have voted for it, to be recreational, mine is legal next week.

We went to Amsterdam a few years ago....it's fantastic.....so many museums..... was so close to  Van Gough paintings I could have touched them (but of course, I didn't)...not covered....not guarded by a person....heck, I'd have them guarded 24/7! 

8 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

We went to Amsterdam a few years ago....it's fantastic.....so many museums..... was so close to  Van Gough paintings I could have touched them (but of course, I didn't)...not covered....not guarded by a person....heck, I'd have them guarded 24/7! 

I am not a fan of many of the Impressionists, but for some reason love his stuff. Monet is a great artist, and I respect the hell out of his level of skill, but looking at boring painted flowers to me is well . . . boring. I love S. Dali's stuff. For some weird reason he as a museum in St. Petersburg . . . Florida. Been there once.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I am not a fan of many of the Impressionists, but for some reason love his stuff. Monet is a great artist, and I respect the hell out of his level of skill, but looking at boring painted flowers to me is well . . . boring. I love S. Dali's stuff. For some weird reason he as a museum in St. Petersburg . . . Florida. Been there once.

My brother is a pretty fair artist..... here's a water color of Niel Young, he actually got him so sign it:

May be an image of guitar

A pencil drawing of my old Jaguar he did when he was a kid (15 or so):

How about a pencil of Steve Howe he did as a kid, (probably playing an ES-345!):

May be art of 1 person and guitar

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Retired said:

Oh I agree with you. I have never heard of an adult getting the chicken pox, Have you? Is it possible? I have no idea. At 68 years old I have never got them and from the brain tumor cancer that I had, I fell more like 78 as it feels like I aged 10 years from all that. I went through so what life I have left, I really doubt I will ever get the shingles. Plus since I never had the chicken pox, my doctor says I can't get them.  Yes, you should get the shingles shot and so should my wife. 

I would imagine after fighting and surviving cancer, chicken pox would be a cake-walk.  All I remember about it was it kept me out of school for a week.  I didn't mind that.  [wink]  But like I said, I was six at the time.  I don't know what an adult would experience.

and SARGE----

I like Van Gogh too.  But I was always more impressed with the pointillism  of the Georges Seurat  work "A Sunday On The Island Of La Grande Jatte".  Was thrilled some years back when I got to see the original canvas in  Chicago's museum of art.  Impressive considering the method used to create it.   I have issues with trying to post photo images, but can offer THIS.

Whitefang

4 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

My brother is a pretty fair artist..... here's a water color of Niel Young, he actually got him so sign it:

A pencil drawing of my old Jaguar he did when he was a kid (15 or so):

How about a pencil of Steve Howe he did as a kid, (probably playing an ES-345!):

Did he do the one of Garcia and The Beatles too. Those are cool. He obviously wasn't the aritst who did the the gate fold for Zeppelin IV?

10 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

and SARGE----

I like Van Gogh too.  But I was always more impressed with the pointillism  of the Georges Seurat  work "A Sunday On The Island Of La Grande Jatte".  Was thrilled some years back when I got to see the original canvas in  Chicago's museum of art.  Impressive considering the method used to create it.   I have issues with trying to post photo images, but can offer THIS.

Whitefang

I love art. When I was going to "A" School at Great Lakes Naval Base (and believe me there is nothing "Great" about that miserable place), I went to The Chicago Art Museum and they had an exhibit of Gauguin's stuff there at the time. It was 1988 or 9. I've been to The National Gallery in DC and have seen many great works there. When ever we can my wife and I will go to a Museums to see art. The MOMA in NYC was killer and the Seattle Art Museum had killer stuff when we went there. 

I've been to a Picasso Museum in Malaga, Spain (which is where is was born, him and that sexy as all get out Antonio Banderas too) when I was there in 2008.

That Seurat painting and other stuff by him is really cool.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Looks to me it like Steve is playing an acoustic, as I see no double cutaways. Probably a Martin and he is probably playing The Clap, but it could be Mood For A Day too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Ha!  My brother trained at Great Lakes too when he joined the Navy.  And also had the same opinion of the place.  But that was in 1965  and some might think there'd be some changes over the years.  But it doesn't appear so.  [wink]

I really don't (especially these past four or so years) get to wander around visiting art galleries and museums, and it takes me some doing to get to the DIA(Detroit Institute of Arts) in order to gape at the museum's prized mural by Diego Rivera in the lobby. [wink]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

Did he do the one of Garcia and The Beatles too. Those are cool. He obviously wasn't the aritst who did the the gate fold for Zeppelin IV?

He did the Beatles (individually) in oil...as well as  Jerry Garcia.

How 'bout this one then?   He did it to replace the jacket for our 45.... I still have original one I was given in 1966..it has this jacket on it now:

No photo description available.

He actually did a copy of this , but I tried to find out who had it a few years ago, and no one seems to know.

No photo description available.

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Looks to me it like Steve is playing an acoustic, as I see no double cutaways. Probably a Martin and he is probably playing The Clap, but it could be Mood For A Day too.

I think you're right..... looks like a Martin.

Led - Breadman is funny as s-hit. I remember in early 80's, and it had to be before 1984 cause that was when my father passed, just out of the blue he came home form the record store (he probably got for himself and my mom an Elvis or Neil Diamond record) and handed me Zep II.