Gibson Brands Forums

Now The Concerts Are Coming Back What Was The Last One You Attended

Sgt. Pepper

With a lifetime of great concerts under my belt, my last was Molly Tuttle,  here in a small Cooperstown, NY library parlor room, in fall of 2018. It'll likely be the last live show I ever go to, ending on a high high note.

Well part of it is to do with covid and part of it is not.

The last gig I went to was YES at the O2 June 2018..  It was the last one before one of my oldest and closest friends died... We always went to gigs together as our taste in music was so similar (well his taste was far more wide ranging than mine but we overlapped a lot)....  Since then I actually couldn't face going to one without him after about 20 years of going to gigs together.

BUT I booked my first gig tickets since then a few weeks ago for Jeff Beck at the Albert Hall... Not till next year but I was really excited as I was booking them..

If my friend David were still alive I would also have booked tickets to Guns N Roses in a second as he would have loved it and  its happening about a ten minute drive from my house (Tottenham Hotspur football stadium) which would be a first for me, seeing such a big band so locally. Alas the tickets are really expensive and I dont actually know anyone else who would want to go  😞  

Edited by Rabs

9 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Well part of it is to do with covid and part of it is not.

The last gig I went to was YES at the O2 June 2018..  It was the last one before one of my oldest and closest friends died... We always went to gigs together as our taste in music was so similar (well his taste was far more wide ranging than mine but we overlapped a lot)....  Since then I actually couldn't face going to one without him after about 20 years of going to gigs together.

BUT I booked my first gig tickets since then a few weeks ago for Jeff Beck at the Albert Hall... Not till next year but I was really excited as I was booking them..

If my friend David were still alive I would also have booked tickets to Guns N Roses in a second as he would have loved it and  its happening about a ten minute drive from my house (Tottenham Hotspur football stadium) which would be a first for me, seeing such a big band so locally. Alas the tickets are really expensive and I dont actually know anyone else who would want to go  😞  

The first one as of right now I will be attending is Tommy Emmanuel in August. He has postponed the show twice already. I was supposed to see him some time last year. 

I've seen Yes I think 5 times but never with Grandpa Howe. I have seen Steve with Asia twice and GTR once.

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

The first one as of right now I will be attending is Tommy Emmanuel in August. He has postponed the show twice already. I was supposed to see him some time last year. 

I've seen Yes I think 5 times but never with Grandpa Howe. I have seen Steve with Asia twice and GTR once.

I have seen both line ups of YES. That last one was the AWR line up...  Also seen Mr Howe with Asia... Fantastic player but he makes some of the weirdest guitar faces ever.. And the old man with whispy long hair look doesnt exactly help matters  🙂 

LONG time for me.  And nothing really to do with Covid restrictions.  Last concert was The Detroit Symphony Orchestra directed by NEEME JAARVI performing Beethoven's 9th symphony.  Sometime in 1998 at Orchestra Hall. 

Whitefang

I saw Keith Urban at the outdoor concert arena in Lake Tahoe.... a great guitar player and good singer.

The concert before that was Chris Isaac in a theater in Napa.... not a great guitar player, but a FANTASTIC performer....don't miss the opportunity to see him live sometime.

31 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

LONG time for me.  And nothing really to do with Covid restrictions.  Last concert was The Detroit Symphony Orchestra directed by NEEME JAARVI performing Beethoven's 9th symphony.  Sometime in 1998 at Orchestra Hall. 

Whitefang

A man of culture. My aunt and uncle and cousin used to live in Dearborn and my cousin and I went to the  Detroit Symphony in the late 80's once when I was out vistitng.  I think it was Dvorak- The Slavonic Dances.

The Ford Museum is killer.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I saw Keith Urban at the outdoor concert arena in Lake Tahoe.... a great guitar player and good singer.

The concert before that was Chris Isaac in a theater in Napa.... not a great guitar player, but a FANTASTIC performer....don't miss the opportunity to see him live sometime.

I saw Chris at a small club in SF in the 90's. The headliner was Romeo Void. They got back together for a reunion.

1 minute ago, DanvillRob said:

Was he as entertaining then as he is now, (I think I saw him in 2016 or 2017).

I remember Chris was wearing a kind of blue Nudie Suit. He brought an attractive girl up on stage to shake the maracas during a song.

I remember Chris was wearing a kind of blue Nudie Suit. He brought an attractive girl up on stage to shake the maracas during a song.

Is there a sexier song that "Wicked Game"? 

This is from the 90's, (but not Nudie Suit)

Last "big" concert was Cheap Trick on Feb 04th 2020, first show of their short tour.  I did get to meet them though which was a bonus.

On a smaller note - Kashmir on March 07, 2020 - right before the world went shithouse. 

A small venue called the Tupelo Music Hall near me had outdoor "drive-in" shows the past two years to make things easier.  Nice shows in the parking lot, bring a lawn chair.

My first for 2021 is - ironically - Kashmir in August at the Tupelo Music Hall. 

Got tickets for a few larger shows in the fall already.

Just now, nhwildbill said:

Last "big" concert was Cheap Trick on Feb 04th 2020, first show of their short tour.  I did get to meet them though which was a bonus.

On a smaller note - Kashmir on March 07, 2020 - right before the world went shithouse. 

A small venue called the Tupelo Music Hall near me had outdoor "drive-in" shows the past two years to make things easier.  Nice shows in the parking lot, bring a lawn chair.

My first for 2021 is - ironically - Kashmir in August at the Tupelo Music Hall. 

Got tickets for a few larger shows in the fall already.

Cheap Trick on the Dream Police Tour was my first ever real concert. Pat Travers opened. It was Dec 27th, 1979. I was 13. It was in Oakland at the indoor Coliseum.

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Cheap Trick on the Dream Police Tour was my first ever real concert. Pat Travers opened. It was Dec 27th, 1979. I was 13. It was in Oakland at the indoor Coliseum.

My good friend was the sound guy for Cheap Trick for the US and European Tour 3-4 years ago....he's now the tour manager for The Tubes.  They'll be touring again soon...setting up dates now.

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

My good friend was the sound guy for Cheap Trick for the US and European Tour 3-4 years ago....he's now the tour manager for The Tubes.  They'll be touring again soon...setting up dates now.

I was gonna see The Tubes at a dinner show in Richmond, VA a few years before CV-19. Then I had to got out to Cali as my mother was in Hospice. The first Tubes album I still rock all the time. I hope they come back to VA.

WPOD

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I was gonna see The Tubes at a dinner show in Richmond, VA a few years before CV-19. Then I had to got out to Cali as my mother was in Hospice. The first Tubes album I still rock all the time. I hope they come back to VA.

WPOD

Once he gets the venues lined up, I'll let you know..... the guys have been 'off' for over a year now, and they're itching to get back to it.

(I know nothing about The Tubes.... I just get info from Robert).

11 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Once he gets the venues lined up, I'll let you know..... the guys have been 'off' for over a year now, and they're itching to get back to it.

(I know nothing about The Tubes.... I just get info from Robert).

You should check them out. The first album is killer. The second one not as stellar as the first, but still good. The Completion Backwards Principal and Remote Control are great too. The  stuff they sing about makes me pee my pants sometimes.

There are some tour dates on their site, but is all out west except for one in NY state.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1