Gibson Brands Forums

New Build Day

Rabs

7 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Rabs, this is most definitely my favourite bridge. I have them on two guitars and a 3rd waiting for me to make up my mind where to use it. Its beautifully engineered/built, chunky & stable and with 3 axis of adjustment. 

They used to have a single screw to lock the saddles together (see mine). I'm not seeing that on your pic, probably the design tweak has made it redundant.  

Cheers.. Yes I am looking forward to getting it..  And I do remember it mentioning the locking screw in the listing for it. Maybe its an old stock picture or something? Either way as you say, very nicely designed..  And there arent that many options for bridges..  Maybe thats what I should do rather than making guitars  😄 design some replacement bridges people can swap out for the standard stuff.

Looking great Rabs! I was really excited to see this thread 😃

I’m not usually into spalted woods aesthetically but you did a beautiful job resawing and bookmatching that piece!! It is stunning.

Beautiful bridge too! This is gonna come out great

35 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Looking great Rabs! I was really excited to see this thread 😃

I’m not usually into spalted woods aesthetically but you did a beautiful job resawing and bookmatching that piece!! It is stunning.

Beautiful bridge too! This is gonna come out great

Cheers man.. And yeah, bookmatching is not an exact science.. You have to know how to look for signs that it will work when you cut it in half but you never know..

Looking down the side of the wood its obvious that it was going to at least be interesting and goes all the way through the piece. And then you need to cut it straight.. If you dont and you have to re-flatten the wood too much you will totally loose the symmetricalness of the woods as the spalting goes diagonally through it.

8cJMgJL.jpg

And then if you look closely here.. This was before I re-flattened it.. I only took 1mm off the top of each piece to just get rid of the saw marks.. But you can see I lost some of the bookmatching a bit.. Look in the center.

OSwn26K.jpg

And after flattening.

SbZWRZd.jpg 

Edited by Rabs

So what do you guys think of this?

As has been mentioned and seen in some of the pictures. One of my next builds will be an all black walnut DC... I cant quite decide what I want to do with the fretboard.. If I should use Ebony or Rosewood.

These are a couple of mockups I have had for ages.. Forget the details.. It will be black walnut with black hardware and I am planning to use those oval markers... Which do you think looks better?

tCy6LAQ.jpg

p5RAqme.jpg

4 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Both look nice; the bottom one reminds me of my L-4S.

[smile]

Yes thats my problem.. They do both look nice to me but as mentioned above, Ebony certainly is more durable.

Just now, jdgm said:

When are you going to do another single cut?

Havent thought about it  🙂  Donno...  I have three builds to do. I will see how I feel about it all when they are done.

Glad to see you are back to building some guitars and especially glad that you have a workshop with proper tools to make the job go smoother and faster.  Looking good so far, can't wait to see the fist one finished - that top is killer.  

For the walnut double cut, unlike everyone else, I like the look of the rosewood board.  I am partial to rosewood boards anyway and I like the way it's color is almost the same as the walnut in the mock-up.  However I suppose that rosewood will change color over time whereas the ebony will always be ebony.  Of course it's up to you as it will by your guitar.  Both look good.

Sorry to hear your back was bothering you after the first day.  I realize you are paying for the time in the shop, but may be worth it to take a few breaks and sit down for awhile.  Or bring a stool and try to do some of the work sitting.  I have had lower back issues for many years and I cannot stand for long periods either.  But we can't let back pain stop us from doing what we love!!

8 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Glad to see you are back to building some guitars and especially glad that you have a workshop with proper tools to make the job go smoother and faster.  Looking good so far, can't wait to see the fist one finished - that top is killer.  

For the walnut double cut, unlike everyone else, I like the look of the rosewood board.  I am partial to rosewood boards anyway and I like the way it's color is almost the same as the walnut in the mock-up.  However I suppose that rosewood will change color over time whereas the ebony will always be ebony.  Of course it's up to you as it will by your guitar.  Both look good.

Sorry to hear your back was bothering you after the first day.  I realize you are paying for the time in the shop, but may be worth it to take a few breaks and sit down for awhile.  Or bring a stool and try to do some of the work sitting.  I have had lower back issues for many years and I cannot stand for long periods either.  But we can't let back pain stop us from doing what we love!!

Cheers man. And yes its good to be back at it. And indeed I am not doing it every day and when I do its only an afternoon. Its not so much my back even though that was hurting the next day when I did some gardening for my mum. Its my hands. Just below the thumbs I am getting some nasty pains.. I was hoping it had gone after about 9 months off but it came back straight away.. 

I will just take it easy. As you say, cant let these things totally stop us. Just be sensible with it.

And with the walnut guitar. As said the issue with those mock ups is they are mockups and only there to give me a very rough guide on what hardware to use. The colour of the walnut is very dark in the mockup, theres a chance that it could clash a bit with the fretboard. So, better I think not to take that chance and just go with ebony. As you say, I like both too but this is a safer way I think to get something really nice. You never know really till you put finish on the wood.

On 6/26/2021 at 1:41 PM, Rabs said:

So what do you guys think of this?

As has been mentioned and seen in some of the pictures. One of my next builds will be an all black walnut DC... I cant quite decide what I want to do with the fretboard.. If I should use Ebony or Rosewood.

These are a couple of mockups I have had for ages.. Forget the details.. It will be black walnut with black hardware and I am planning to use those oval markers... Which do you think looks better?

tCy6LAQ.jpg

p5RAqme.jpg

The bottom one blends with the body well but I like the top Ebony. It looks good with the body and also goes great with the pickups and all the hardware. 

On 6/26/2021 at 9:38 AM, merciful-evans said:

Rabs, this is most definitely my favourite bridge. I have them on two guitars and a 3rd waiting for me to make up my mind where to use it. Its beautifully engineered/built, chunky & stable and with 3 axis of adjustment. 

They used to have a single screw to lock the saddles together (see mine). I'm not seeing that on your pic, probably the design tweak has made it redundant.  

h5gCCgO.jpg

I got it today and it doesnt have the screw?  So I wonder if either I have an old model before they put that on OR that they for what ever reason decided to change the design and stop using the screw?  The only concern I have about that is that I read that the screw helps to stop any rattling.. So we will see I guess..  No workshop access this week so I have a slot next Tuesday.

5 hours ago, Rabs said:

I got it today and it doesnt have the screw?  So I wonder if either I have an old model before they put that on OR that they for what ever reason decided to change the design and stop using the screw?  The only concern I have about that is that I read that the screw helps to stop any rattling.. So we will see I guess..  No workshop access this week so I have a slot next Tuesday.

I’m sure it will be fine. The strings should hold the saddles down like on a fender style bridge

2 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I’m sure it will be fine. The strings should hold the saddles down like on a fender style bridge

Yeah, I am sure it will be fine too.. Just wonder why they changed it?  Either way its a nice looking bridge.. Weighty....  You can also take the bottom plate off of it to lower the overall height which is also a cool idea.