Gibson Brands Forums

New Build Day

Rabs

1 minute ago, jdgm said:

Love wooden knobs!

I have some ebony ones.  I've thought about getting some walnut (or rosewood) ones for my L-4S.

These are posh [biggrin]

https://thgknobs.com/products

https://www.pickuprings.com/speed_knobs

Ohh nice. And yeah, very posh..  The ones I got were about £3.50 each...  For which you can almost buy a whole plastic set but I think it adds a nice touch.. I have been looking at possibly getting some wooded pickup rings to go with them.

Hello..  Well I still havent got back to doing any actual work on this.. Life just loves to get in the way doesnt it  :)  

Today I have a very brief update to do with those vol/tone knobs..

I am really not sure that they will work..   What do you reckon.

ZP9CDOT.jpg

b23lxCR.jpg

xMZ2yEx.jpg

Either way.. That top is incredible...  When I get some proper finish on it, its gonna be wow

Bfdxxow.jpg

8fs7hpc.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, merciful-evans said:

You were right about the zebra wood clashing. The dark ones look good. Classy too.

Yeah, its like if they were just a bit darker or lighter I think it would work.. But that sorta brown/red thats in there is whats clashing.. HOWEVER, once the hardware is on it may look a bit different (mostly gonna be chrome including the pickup rings).

2 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yeah, its like if they were just a bit darker or lighter I think it would work.. But that sorta brown/red thats in there is whats clashing.. HOWEVER, once the hardware is on it may look a bit different (mostly gonna be chrome including the pickup rings).

The Zebras would work best with a plain type finish top I think.

3 hours ago, jdgm said:

I like both. The top looks absolutely stunning. 

Gold hardware would look good....whatever..[thumbup]

Well actually I sold some London Plane to someone on The Fretboard and he made a DC too..  He used gold hardware and it looked great, especially with the golden hue that "normal" London Plane takes. But I like the black that goes with the spalting. If I were using all black hardware I think it would be too much though. So its gonna be mostly chrome with black bits....

fQpUxxa.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I never used to like gold hardware but I love it now. Tastes do change gradually. The Fender TC90 I had briefly had a dark 'smoky' chrome set. 

Well one of the main reasons I dont usually go for gold hardware is I dont like the way it ages.. 

Incredible wood, I think I liked the darker knobs, but consider smoked chrome or nickel.. Maybe...

On the back of my swamp ash Tele I have been thinking of replacing the back access panels with something more neutral like a cream or tan or brown. On the front cap the woodgrain is a bit straighter and has nickel hardware with black plastic that I may try to match with the same neutral color.

T4O07CP.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

50 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Incredible wood, I think I liked the darker knobs, but consider smoked chrome or nickel.. Maybe...

On the back of my swamp ash Tele I have been thinking of replacing the back access panels with something more neutral like a cream or tan or brown. On the front cap the woodgrain is a bit straighter and has nickel hardware with black plastic that I may try to match with the same neutral color.

T4O07CP.jpg

Nice  [thumbup]

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2021 at 9:21 AM, Rabs said:

Nice  [thumbup]

Thanks Rabs, that was the main reason I bought it. I did do a lot of work to it replacing everything but the tuners and has become a great player, but a bit heavy.

Edited by mihcmac

On 7/22/2021 at 6:51 PM, Rabs said:

Hello..  Well I still havent got back to doing any actual work on this.. Life just loves to get in the way doesnt it  :)  

Today I have a very brief update to do with those vol/tone knobs..

I am really not sure that they will work..   What do you reckon.

ZP9CDOT.jpg

b23lxCR.jpg

xMZ2yEx.jpg

Either way.. That top is incredible...  When I get some proper finish on it, its gonna be wow

Bfdxxow.jpg

8fs7hpc.jpg

The body is so striking and imposing, that the knobs/buttons don't really matter much. In this case I would go with the ones, that have 1..10 numbers for usability. This will be a beauty when painted and finished over.

PS. Those black arm-braces, worn at night & idle parts of the day actually do help relieve carpal tunnel nerve problems.

• 6 months later...

Wow..  Been almost 7 months since my last post. Time does indeed fly, even when you arent really having fun.. 🙂 

So, no actual progress on the build yet.. BUT I got a couple of tasty pickups for this build... So I am posting this not because its particularly interesting but as a way to try and prod myself to get on with these builds. Lets hope it works.

I once used this pickup combination on a black korina double cut I once made, it was meant to be for me but the day I finished it someone checked it out and bought it straight away...  But I know this is a good combination..

A SD humbucker sized P90 the Phat Cat for the neck

9lvFO44.jpg

dw8exFX.jpg

zHT6yvf.jpg

And for the bridge we have a .........

SicG3qD.jpg

ELmhtBS.jpg

So it should sound as good as I hope it will look in the end.

• Like 2