Gibson Brands Forums

NG: L-00 12 fret Bluesmaster in the house!

CJB

Hey everyone! 

After having sampled a wonderful HG00 that a friend has around 2.6 weeks ago I decided to do a random internet search on 12 fret L-00's .  Most results showed up either the Keb Mo model or early 30's models and one of my ultimate dream guitars (a '30/31 all mahogany L-0 but those seem to be quite rare and spendy).  Then this one result showed something that was new and in inventory at a big music store site.  There wasn't much info on the site about it but they showed 2 in stock so I called and talked with someone about it.  It was apparently a 'Limited' run of a few guitars but nothing else. I ended up getting a great deal on one of them halfway thinking that I'd end up using their generous return policy (not something I've done before so I was hesitant)

About 2.1 weeks ago it arrived and I've been playing it ever since.  I was primarily curious about how the 12 fret neck joint and the L-00 body would interact tonally.  Turns out that it's snappy and luscious at the same time - that 12 fret tone that I love mixed with the L-00 tone that I love. Very responsive and full.  But get this.  What surprised me is that it has a 1.80" nut width and a full C shaped neck that measures about .90" at the first fret.  These dimensions are ideal for me and my strange fretting hand issues.  With the built in electronics it's only 3.6 pounds (my 1937-38 L-00 is 3.1 pounds).  

After 2.2 weeks with it, I love it.  It's the most satisfying NEW guitar I've had with the way it sounds, looks and feels.  I can tell it has a long way to go to open up and develop but that will be part of the fun.    

My favorite guitar I've owned is my '37ish L-00.  But this is a great second to that one.  I'm thinking a great third is one of those '30/31 all hog L-0.  😄

I wrote to Gibson customer service to see if I can get more info but haven't heard anything yet. 

What I know is that it's labeled as a L-00 Bluesmaster Limited.  I wonder what the difference is between these and the Blues King?  The build quality is the same as or better than my previously owned 50's LG-2.  

Any others out there have one of these or know anything about them?

Regardless, they're really cool and fun guitars with really really good tone.  

CGXpcRFlddfIR_9bO4XWZlqKhiKV4e--BJet0iwW

Edited by CJB
  • Like 1

Cool!

Strangely Bluesmaster was the moniker of a discontinued Epihone version of the L-00 which is what  Keb Mo initially played.   The nut width makes it look like Bozeman was recycling the necks they used on their take on the Roy Smeck models.  

I want to say the big difference with the Blues King would be somewhere along the line the BK acquired a shallower body.  

But I do love me some 12 fretters.  The best analogy I can come up with regarding the difference between 12 and 14 fret guitars is it is like hitting a snare drum dead center as opposed to more off to the side near the rim.

And 3 .1 to 3.2 pounds sounds spot on for a later-1930s L-00.  Shows they had put on about an extra 1/4 pound since the earlier-1930s. 

Edited by zombywoof

ZW, yep I was thinking that some of the parts may be extras or reused from other series. 🤷‍♂️

BK, thanks! Yep different store but same guitar. 
I have no idea  how to properly post pictures on here unfortunately. 
I’ll work on it….

meanwhile,  I posted a few pics over here… https://umgf.com/ng-l-00-bluesmaster-12-fret-t213671.html

Edited by CJB

My BK is Bubinga wood back and sides (African Rosewood!) and I have no idea why...Ren must have found a stash of it and used it on the BKs.

Sorry, no help with the Bluesmaster, but here is a link to an article I was reading on new design 12 fret Lowdens, sorry no Gibsons but George Lowden discusses the theory behind 12 fretters...

https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/lowden-wl-25-and-s-23-12-frets-review

BluesKing777.