Gibson Brands Forums

Got Tired of Setting up Guitars on the Table

John P

After 20+ years, I finally got tired of setting up guitars and basses on the Kitchen Island, and decided to try and build a bench for my guitar loft.

So after a trip to Home Depot last Friday for some lumber, wood screws, and sand paper, I spent the weekend  building it.

Now that I've got it assembled, the wife is taking over to stain and poly it.

Hopefully I can move it up to the loft next weekend!

Edited by ksdaddy
member requested removal to save space
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That looks great, realmongo. 

If you don't have a rig to elevate and rest the neck of the guitar, I tend to use either of these right there, and I like them a lot. 

They are made for working on rifles, but they do well for guitars as well. 

81ckfs9KJDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Realmongo said:

After 20+ years, I finally got tired of setting up guitars and basses on the Kitchen Island, and decided to try and build a bench for my guitar loft.

So after a trip to Home Depot last Friday for some lumber, wood screws, and sand paper, I spent the weekend  building it.

Now that I've got it assembled, the wife is taking over to stain and poly it.

Hopefully I can move it up to the loft next weekend!

Bench A1.jpg

Good job.  My ex and I used to breed Silver Persian cats.  I've built two similar structures to place their cages on..   A bit taller than yours, but very similar.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

Since you're a pretty handy guy, why not make your own neck cradle?  Don't necessarily have to do exactly as the video suggests, but the idea is the same. 

Oh yeah @Realmongo, awesome setup bench man!  It is something I really need to think about having for myself.  Makes guitar maintenance tasks easier to handle.  Thanks for sharing! 

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Like 1

Good job - very impressively clean and utilitarian.   Wife wants me to make a couple for outside use - potting plants. Problem is, when I've tackled this type of project before, I can never get the 4 legs even.  Wind up with just another wobbly legged coffee table. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Good job - very impressively clean and utilitarian.   Wife wants me to make a couple for outside use - potting plants. Problem is, when I've tackled this type of project before, I can never get the 4 legs even.  Wind up with just another wobbly legged coffee table. 

I know your pain. It was so tedious getting the legs even. I finally did it sitting on top of another table so the surface beneath it was level.

On 6/25/2021 at 6:09 AM, sparquelito said:

That looks great, realmongo. 

If you don't have a rig to elevate and rest the neck of the guitar, I tend to use either of these right there, and I like them a lot. 

They are made for working on rifles, but they do well for guitars as well. 

81ckfs9KJDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have one of Nomad ones as well.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/music-nomad-cradle-cube--neck-support-for-all-stringed-instruments/j18853000000000?rNtt=nomad neck support block&index=2

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Dunlop neck rest and Nomad mat. I used the mat to make sure the work surface was large enough.

The wife said the finish she applied should be dry enough to use now.

Plans are to do some work on a LP Studio I've been meaning to get to this coming weekend!

Edited by ksdaddy
member requested removal to save space
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Realmongo said:

I also have the Nomad neck rest and mat. In fact the mat is what I used to make sure the work surface was large enough.

The wife said the finish she applied should be dry enough to use now.

Plans are to do some work on a LP Studio I've been meaning to get to this coming weekend!

DeskR3.jpg

that really looks nice. good job

• Like 1

That is a nice looking finish.  MUCH better than the one I applied to a video tape storage shelving unit I built 23 years ago. But, despite that effort, it didn't keep that unit from looking like something from "Pee-Wee's Playhouse"  [laugh]

Whitefang(aka:  The man with ten thumbs)

• Haha 1