Gibson Brands Forums

Jury Duty!

brad1

I was on a criminal jury once where we should have thrown the whole prosecutor's office and their expert doctor straight into jail after they closed their case.  The poor defendant had been accused of sexual assault by his teenaged stepdaughter, the guy was obviously innocent as the new fallen snow and spent a year in jail awaiting trial.  The stepdaughter was so effing obviously lying through her teeth that an infant could have been able to tell shy was lying.  Got pissed at the stepdad for telling her to do chores so she accused him of sexual assault.  The mom testified for the guy about what was going on.

We took an initial vote within about 5 minutes of starting deliberations, everybody voted the guy innocent.  We decided to go eat lunch before we decided for sure.  I had filet mignon.  Came back and voted the guy innocent again and delivered the verdict.  I always trust lawyers not to lie, except I will never trust a prosecutor not to lie.

Like I said, they should have thrown the whole prosecutor's office in jail.  This is Tennessee.  Guard rails aren't obvious to everybody.  I think the prosecutor went to jail last year for some kind of assault or something.  It's a K-shaped society around here.

I was on a civil jury once like 40 years ago and found for the claimant guy arguing with his wife's something or other about some old grudge or other and how it affected his professional life. Found for the guy but with no damages.

I've been notified and had to call in and check the web site.

I've never been called to actually serve.

I've had to testify many times in Federal Court and Superior Court, (as part of my job).

I doubt I'd be called since my B-I-L was a police officer until his retirement, (40+ years),and I have a very good friend who was a Superior Court judge,(40+ years), until he retired., not to mention my 'Far-Right' leanings.   But now that I'm retired..... if called and selected, wouldn't be a big deal.

• Like 1

I sat as a member of the jury on a criminal trial some years back. A couple of knuckleheads at a party got into an argument with the host. They left the party to go back to their car, came back with a gun, and shot the host. He lived, but had lasting health issues. This trial was not for the shooter, but his accomplice. Back at the car, this guy got the gun out and placed it in the hand of the shooter. There was no real question as to guilt. The thing is, the shooter got a plea deal to testify against his accomplice. The triggerman ended up getting a shorter sentence than the guy that gave hime the gun. That has always struck me as rather unjust, but the  jury didn't have a say in sentencing. The judge handled that, and had mandatory minimums he had to follow. The accomplice should have made a plea, too, but tried to beat it and lost.

3 hours ago, zombiewuff said:

I sat as a member of the jury on a criminal trial some years back. A couple of knuckleheads at a party got into an argument with the host. They left the party to go back to their car, came back with a gun, and shot the host. He lived, but had lasting health issues. This trial was not for the shooter, but his accomplice. Back at the car, this guy got the gun out and placed it in the hand of the shooter. There was no real question as to guilt. The thing is, the shooter got a plea deal to testify against his accomplice. The triggerman ended up getting a shorter sentence than the guy that gave hime the gun. That has always struck me as rather unjust, but the  jury didn't have a say in sentencing. The judge handled that, and had mandatory minimums he had to follow. The accomplice should have made a plea, too, but tried to beat it and lost.

Deb served on a murder trial. What she hated was the lawyers asking so many questions about those who were chosen to save. The criminal is sitting right there and could take notes of them all. They ask your name, where you live, so he has your address, all sorts of personal information. The guy got a guilty charge and sentenced to prison. She worried a lot when he got out. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

There’s one coming up I would like to serve on, a chiropractor is accused of killing 4 people at their place of business, shot them all and cut throats on a couple of them. Nobody knows why. 

My goodness? Plus, just because he was charged doesn't make him guilty until the jury hears all the facts of the case. A lot of innocent people in the past were tried and hung because of peoples hatred.  Innocent until proven guilty, Remember that. 

13 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

There’s one coming up I would like to serve on, a chiropractor is accused of killing 4 people at their place of business, shot them all and cut throats on a couple of them. Nobody knows why. 

And with nobody knowing why, you gotta wonder how HE came to be the one they think did it.   Yeah, but then yo gotta be on the jury to find that out.  [wink]

So for now, I gotta be with BUTCH up there.

Whitefang

11 hours ago, Retired said:

My goodness? Plus, just because he was charged doesn't make him guilty until the jury hears all the facts of the case. A lot of innocent people in the past were tried and hung because of peoples hatred.  Innocent until proven guilty, Remember that. 

He was caught on video walking in and walking out of the business place, also he was spotted by McDonald’s employees where he parked his truck. To make things worse for him, he was caught on video casing the business out the week before. Once they figured out who it was, the police arrested him and found the gun used in the murder.  I’m going with guilty on this one, the trial is just formality to buy time before getting sent to the crowbar hotel. The surveillance videos is what got him.

10 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

He was caught on video walking in and walking out of the business place, also he was spotted by McDonald’s employees where he parked his truck. To make things worse for him, he was caught on video casing the business out the week before. Once they figured out who it was, the police arrested him and found the gun used in the murder.  I’m going with guilty on this one, the trial is just formality to buy time before getting sent to the crowbar hotel. The surveillance videos is what got him.

Did a camera tape him committing the crimes? I'm not saying he did not do it. I used to love watching all sorts of crime shows and detective ones. They had some really good ones that threw the audience off.  Yeah, it sounds like he is the one alright, but according to our laws,  It's innocent until proven guilty. 

On 6/27/2021 at 8:39 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Back in the 60s  use to say  "Never trust anyone over 30."    Now it's  "Never trust anyone under 30."      Churchill said  "If you're under 30 and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you're over 30 and not a Conservative, you have no brain."    Hope we don't extend the vote to 16 and 17 year olds.  We'll wind up with  Sponge Bob as President.  

Never miss an opportunity to get political.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Don't blame me if you can't connect the dots.   Next you'll be complaining about comments about Publishers Clearing House.  

Connect them somewhere else, genius. There's supposed to be a rule against political posts, but it is unenforced and a reason why many have left. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Connect them somewhere else, genius. There's supposed to be a rule against political posts, but it is unenforced and a reason why many have left. 

Some would say if a member posted the following and another member posted the reply below.... THAT would be considered political, no? 

On 6/21/2021 at 9:14 AM, DanvillRob said:

Good on you....this 'lockdown' has gone on for about 1 year too long.

No one with half a brain believes this.

13 hours ago, Retired said:

Did a camera tape him committing the crimes? I'm not saying he did not do it. I used to love watching all sorts of crime shows and detective ones. They had some really good ones that threw the audience off.  Yeah, it sounds like he is the one alright, but according to our laws,  It's innocent until proven guilty. 

Idk if they had video in the building or not, but having the murder weapon in the freezer is gonna hang him. The only thing that ties him to the business is they were managing the trailer court he lived in. I’m guessing it might have something to do with that. 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What if I'm playing the card game Spades and I have the Trump card is that political?

It is now. That name causes the libs to cringe like a demon seeing a crucifix. I’m in fer it now, I just can’t keep my big fingers shut.

9 hours ago, zigzag said:

Brrrrrrffffffffrtttt!     Hard Boiled Egg, Broccoli and Bean  Breakfast Burrito.   Another reason people leave.  The morning after. 

10 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Brrrrrrffffffffrtttt!     Hard Boiled Egg, Broccoli and Bean  Breakfast Burrito.   Another reason people leave.  The morning after. 

That’s sounds awful. I’d leave while you made it.

19 hours ago, zigzag said:

I don't think that many have left because of that... There have been a few tiffs, but they've been resolved for the most part, haven't they? 

I think this forum as a community does a commendable job of policing itself,much more so than I daresay the rest of the Internet combined. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

And a judge ruled that Brittany Spear's still has to submit to her conservatorship.  She should have asked for a Jury Trial. 

Note to F Lee Forty - They don't have juries for that.  And it's not a trial.  And they don't have apostrophes in peoples names when they end in s.  😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1