Gibson Brands Forums

Jury Duty!

brad1

41 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

Note to F Lee Forty - They don't have juries for that.  And it's not a trial.  And they don't have apostrophes in peoples names when they end in s.  😁

BBP,  It was a test:  You missed that I spelled Britney wrong.  So, C+.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

But then, Forty, there's still your misplaced apostrophe.  And BBP also missed using one.  It should have been "people's" instead of "peoples".  

So, C- to you both.  [wink]

Whitefang

Man!    You guys are TOUGH!

On 7/1/2021 at 6:00 PM, Mr. Gibson said:

I saw that, what a creepy sad excuse for a human being.

And for so many decades. He should've died in prison. 

Remember how Eddie Murphy told him he'd get slammed by Cosby for using the F word in his act? Now look at him. 

Beware, or rather be wary, of the sanctimonious ones. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

"In their 79-page opinion, the judges wrote that a previous prosecutor’s statement that Mr. Cosby would not face charges, which paved the way for Mr. Cosby to testify in a civil trial, meant that he should not have been charged in the case. It was a 6-to-1 ruling, with two of the judges in the majority dissenting on the remedy, which barred a retrial."

Oh, thanks. I just caught a glimpse of it at the end and Debbie didn't listen to the news as she was on her computer. 

I don't get it.

I was never famous, but as a musician on stage and later as a member of the opening act to headliners, I never had a problem getting laid. The women would come on to me. There was never a night when I went home alone, unless I chose to do so,  and often, I had my pick of more than one. I certainly never had to force one against her will. I don't think it would be fun if she wasn't into it too.

There are a lot of women who are turned on by fame. More than enough to go around. (Remember the video clips of the screaming girls for The Beatles?)

So Bill Cosby and so many others involved in the #METOO scandals are light years more famous than I ever was, so I don't understand why these people would have to force a woman to have sex with them when there are plenty of ready, willing and able gals who would love to do that.

So they have a number of girls who would love to have intercourse with them, and they pick the one they have to force? That's not mentally healthy in my opinion.

........ Just thinking out loud here .........

So, first of all I'm not siding with Cosby or anyone else in the same situation. NOTE: I haven't really followed it past the headlines, so I do not know the details, but I wonder if decades later it could have been a mutual encounter and now there is some gold-digging going on? Or simply remorse? Conscience clearing?

On the other hand, if that is not the case, and if any person forces another to have sex with him/her it is definitely a crime and should be punishable by law.

And with all laws, the rich, famous, and powerful should not be above the law (but in reality, they are).

Insights, incites and just thinking out loud by Notes

7 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

I don't get it.

I was never famous, but as a musician on stage and later as a member of the opening act to headliners, I never had a problem getting laid. The women would come on to me. There was never a night when I went home alone, unless I chose to do so,  and often, I had my pick of more than one. I certainly never had to force one against her will. I don't think it would be fun if she wasn't into it too.

There are a lot of women who are turned on by fame. More than enough to go around. (Remember the video clips of the screaming girls for The Beatles?)

So Bill Cosby and so many others involved in the #METOO scandals are light years more famous than I ever was, so I don't understand why these people would have to force a woman to have sex with them when there are plenty of ready, willing and able gals who would love to do that.

So they have a number of girls who would love to have intercourse with them, and they pick the one they have to force? That's not mentally healthy in my opinion.

........ Just thinking out loud here .........

So, first of all I'm not siding with Cosby or anyone else in the same situation. NOTE: I haven't really followed it past the headlines, so I do not know the details, but I wonder if decades later it could have been a mutual encounter and now there is some gold-digging going on? Or simply remorse? Conscience clearing?

On the other hand, if that is not the case, and if any person forces another to have sex with him/her it is definitely a crime and should be punishable by law.

And with all laws, the rich, famous, and powerful should not be above the law (but in reality, they are).

Insights, incites and just thinking out loud by Notes

Just make sure you don't marry a groupie.... I did...and when I quit music....she continued to be a groupie!

I wouldn't say I could have had a companion every night when I was opening for the major acts....but. I ain't saying I was a saint either.

I think Cosby's deal was that he drugged them....raped them and felt he was beyond the law (and decency).

Much like Robert Blake..... killed his wife in public...and got away with it.... money + celebrity is a powerful 'defense'.

Blake was acquitted due to  what was claimed as a lack of evidence.  Happening so close to what many felt was the OJ Simpson miscarriage of justice, people just naturally assumed any celebrity is guilty until proven innocent.   

As for Cosby drugging his "victims" we really can't be sure if the women weren't somewhat high to begin with or that they didn't ask for the drugs to begin with.   There's too much to assume on either side to make it prudent to jump to conclusions.

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Blake was acquitted due to  what was claimed as a lack of evidence.  Happening so close to what many felt was the OJ Simpson miscarriage of justice, people just naturally assumed any celebrity is guilty until proven innocent.   

As for Cosby drugging his "victims" we really can't be sure if the women weren't somewhat high to begin with or that they didn't ask for the drugs to begin with.   There's too much to assume on either side to make it prudent to jump to conclusions.

Whitefang

I think you’re right…..in many cases the women met with Cosby for nefarious purposes….but they’re still victims.  

I didn't follow the story, so I wasn't aware Cosby drugged them to make them unconscious. If that is the case, and they didn't agree beforehand, it's sick.

I can't see wanting to have intercourse with someone who is unconscious. But there are weirdos in the world who would think that's fun, I suppose.

When I was on the road, we did our fair share of recreational drugs, but it was always something we both participated in, alcohol and a few others as well. In fact, on the road, many of the gals supplied the drugs as they knew the local connections.

And what about US Congressmen and US Presidents? At least one of them had forced sexual encounters with unwilling females. Should they be above the law? Why aren't they locked up?  (No need to answer, the lawmakers have always been above the law.)

I figure any sexual tryst is OK as long as both partners are willing. That goes for what I see as normal and fun, and what others who disagree with what I prefer. If someone wants to get it on with an unconscious person, and he or she agrees, it's fine with me, if he or she doesn't agree, it's abuse and wrong.

If I found a woman attractive who was interested in me, before jumping into the sack with her, I had two rules:

1) She had to be single. In no way did I want to party with another man's wife

2) She had to be 'safe' (on birth control of some sort). There is no way I wanted to father a child to anyone unless I was married to the woman who hosted that child.

Just, plain, do-unto-others requirements.

Perhaps more people should follow what is now called "The Golden Rule" ... Treat others as you would like others to treat you, and do not treat others in ways that they would not like to be treated ... (First recorded in 2040 BCE and probably much older than that.)

I know, that's too much to ask from people who do not want to live in a civilized society.

Notes

47 minutes ago, saturn said:

Let's get this topic back on track.  I got a summons for Jury Duty last Thursday for the week of August 9. 🙂  

But, it's so much fun (NOT!) to get off track!

Anyway, I've been called several times.  I've only served three times.  Two were city court cases [60 in a 45 mph zone down a city street (guilty) and a  car vandalism case (guilty).]  I served as the jury foreman in one of those two; I just don't remember which one. 

The third was a county court case - a divorce trial.  That case lasted a week and a half. 

There was an enormous discrepancy between his earnings and her potential to earn and provide, and it was the judge's job to split the property and established the child support payment.  Our job (the jury's job) was only to determine custody of the two children.  We awarded joint custody with his residence as the primary residence.

I think it's against the law to dock an employee's pay and to require that they use accrued vacation/PTO while they're on jury duty, so I didn't miss any pay at work or lose any vacation time.  Plus, for jury duty, the city/county paid me five bucks a day.  WOO HOO!

• 1 month later...

Well, my duty started this week. I wasn't needed the first 3 days but I checked website tonight and I'm assigned to at the Annapolis Circuit Court by 8AM Thursday morning. I have no idea what to expect but will do my civic duty if needed. 

On 8/12/2021 at 6:59 PM, DanvillRob said:

We’re you interviewed?

I was 2 people back in line to speak with the selection judge when everyone left in line was sent back to the room. About an hour later they said they had the jury selected and everyone else was released,