Gibson Brands Forums

What Did You Learn Today?

This stool with toilet seat cover on it is my work bench, it works really well for any type of guitar front and back and never puts stress on the neck..

3GJmCPT.jpg

I can perform just about any task with it including sanding and finishing...

• Like 1

I didn't know it was Gibson, and I didn't know it was 1921.

I assumed it was much later, because old Hofners didn't get truss rods until well into the 50s. 

What a truly excellent invention. 

These are some innovations on the subject that I like

Warmouth cross sect.

wHWyN8O.jpg

Hagstrom H-Expander

h-expander.jpg

Rickenbacker twin rods

sDUxLPi.jpg

Edited by merciful-evans
add

I learned that a Rolls SX95 Stereo Subwoofer Crossover MUST be kept turned on at the same time as the amplifier driving the subwoofers is.

If not, once every 15 seconds both subs will go THUMP! and then you'll spend two weeks driving yourself crazy trying to figure out what is causing the problem.

Sure thing, PINCH.  And it goes back to a quote from BRUCE LEE;  "Simplicity is the key to brilliance".  [wink] 

Think;  MOZART's  "A little night music".   Beethoven's "Ode To Joy" theme, and Symphony #5  opening allegro.  And even many of the most beloved and highly regarded popular music "hits".  

Whitefang

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Sure thing, PINCH.  And it goes back to a quote from BRUCE LEE;  "Simplicity is the key to brilliance".  [wink] 

Think;  MOZART's  "A little night music".   Beethoven's "Ode To Joy" theme, and Symphony #5  opening allegro.  And even many of the most beloved and highly regarded popular music "hits".  

Whitefang

As a teen, I used to love Bruce Lee, or rather his martial arts. My cousin and I practiced Kung Fu, Karate and Jiu Jitsu all the time. More so Bruce Lees style. I was heart broken when he died. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Retired said:

As a teen, I used to love Bruce Lee, or rather his martial arts. My cousin and I practiced Kung Fu, Karate and Jiu Jitsu all the time. More so Bruce Lees style. I was heart broken when he died. 

Until he died I only knew of Lee as the co-star of the "Green Hornet" TV show.  ('66-'67)  Subsequent viewings of bio profiles and documentaries helped clear up his "simplicity" quote, as it seems his approach to martial arts was based on that principle.   I never bothered with martial arts m'self, but a buddy of mine tried.  Up until he knocked out two teeth messing around with  nunchucks.  [laugh]  But his young death was sad.  So was the too early death of his son Brandon.

Whitefang

I learned that the Apple store is a front for the biggest con of all time. Not even going to get into why they are but if we ever live in a world where my choices of a real good phone are not Google, Apple, or Windows, I’m on another phone platform. I have heard about open source phones but generally this iPhone of mine has been alright. Except for the fact that my iPhone 8 they wouldn’t change the battery out of because it was claimed to be stuck and damage the phone if it was removed - even said it might blow up or cause fire! Then of course told me to buy a new phone for a smooth price of $500… seriously… I took the phone to a guy who knows how to take my iPhone apart and he showed me how quickly and easily it was to get to the battery and take it out. Well, glad I’m a Linux guy. I don’t understand Apple people. If there was a better phone to buy, BOY would that be something I’d like to learn today… F Apple store. I could only imagine the horror of having to take your $2-4k MacBook Pro to them to hear some BS story why you need a new one. This iPhone 8 has been great though as my first ever Apple product I paid for back in 2017 or sometime around then, but the store is more my gripe right now. Do I think their stuff is overpriced - yeah I do. I know for $2k I could make a PC that would absolutely smoke any Mac in terms of pure computing power. 

The battery that’s in my phone now - aftermarket - is even better than the stock battery. More mAh. Should have just went to my guy first and avoided the store altogether. I can tell because I do some heavy browsing and video watching and battery percentage stays relatively the same - like when the phone was new. 

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2021 at 4:00 AM, sparquelito said:

I just (re) learned that when I am walking thru a darkened room barefoot, if there is a hard furniture corner, I am going to fram into it and destroy my little toe. 

Every damned time. 

😬

I know what you mean! I went to bed at 12:00 midnight. I guess I fell asleep in 5 minutes Deb said. That is when she got up because of severe storms. High winds, 90 mph they claimed knocked down many limbs, trees and debris all over. It took the power out from 1:00 to 3:30 this afternoon.  Like Sgt.  Shultz on Hogan's Heroes, "I Heard Nothing."  I woke up at

3:30am to pee and pitch black. I could not see anything.  Trying to make my way to the restroom, I was hitting walls, knocked down a framed picture, stumbled over something on the floor, then ran into the dresser, Haha. Deb heard me hitting everything in the bedroom and came up with the light on her phone. There wasn't even moon light due to dark cloud cover.  

8 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

I learned that the Apple store is a front for the biggest con of all time. Not even going to get into why they are but if we ever live in a world where my choices of a real good phone are not Google, Apple, or Windows, I’m on another phone platform. I have heard about open source phones but generally this iPhone of mine has been alright. Except for the fact that my iPhone 8 they wouldn’t change the battery out of because it was claimed to be stuck and damage the phone if it was removed - even said it might blow up or cause fire! Then of course told me to buy a new phone for a smooth price of $500… seriously… I took the phone to a guy who knows how to take my iPhone apart and he showed me how quickly and easily it was to get to the battery and take it out. Well, glad I’m a Linux guy. I don’t understand Apple people. If there was a better phone to buy, BOY would that be something I’d like to learn today… F Apple store. I could only imagine the horror of having to take your $2-4k MacBook Pro to them to hear some BS story why you need a new one. This iPhone 8 has been great though as my first ever Apple product I paid for back in 2017 or sometime around then, but the store is more my gripe right now. Do I think their stuff is overpriced - yeah I do. I know for $2k I could make a PC that would absolutely smoke any Mac in terms of pure computing power. 

The battery that’s in my phone now - aftermarket - is even better than the stock battery. More mAh. Should have just went to my guy first and avoided the store altogether. I can tell because I do some heavy browsing and video watching and battery percentage stays relatively the same - like when the phone was new. 

This is %99 consistent with every account I hear of Apple store. 

I got a replacement battery for my iPhone 5 from a small local store earlier this year. My phone wont be supported long enough to last out for a 3rd battery. Rick Beato's Apple rants about Apple say it all for me. I've never been in an Apple store. Probably never will. 

No idea what sort of phone to get next 😶 

This was my first “real” experience at the Apple store near me because I got my phone from cell provider. They just wanted to take their time so I’d walk around their store and hopefully buy some overpriced piece of tech… again not saying Apple products are garbage but if I ever have an issue with Apple stuff, the only people that help me is Apple. I could go to 3rd party like I have to now for the phone, but again what happens when I buy their god awful expensive iPad, watch, MacBook… this is why I build my own PC and install Linux on it. I saw the specs on the Apple products’ processors, RAM, SSDs… Literally stuff that if I threw it together in a box I’d get better stuff for the cost of a MacBook or their desktop and not paying the extra money I’d save just for iOS. 

Sorry but that flipping Apple store experience made me bitter. Funny thing is I actually went to this store for the actual first time there before covid to replace my battery, but they tried their hardest to tell me to ride it out - and it worked. It has really had me consider what my next phone is gonna be because no matter how long iPhones are supposed to last, batteries are maintenance items that last as long as any other batteries out there. I inevitably have to deal with someone to replace it if I want to make my $1k last for more than 2 years. They just wanted me to buy new crap…

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

I hate having to go the the Apple Store.  Reminds me of what an old USSR Department Store was probably like.    "You can have that pair of shoes in any color or size. But we strongly recommend 9 and black."    I really disliked how they manipulated their customers with 'iTunes' and now they're herding everyone into "Apple Music".   I had loaded a boatload of CDs into iTunes and they kept losing them and otherwise sabotaging them.   It makes me slightly nauseous when I see how many people have "Apple Watches".  My wife and my 4 kids all have one.  I will never buy one.  It's annoying enough having a 'phone' in your pocket monitoring your every move, without having a 'watch'  beeping at you telling you to 'breathe'  or 'move'.  And giving you a trophy when you satisfy it's prodding.  

• Haha 1