Gibson Brands Forums

Es 139 or D'Angelico Premier SS

LarryUK

I came across an ES 139 online but it was £1200 UK. It only had silk screen Gibson on the headstock though. 

On looking around I came across this. https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/210325367873025-6485715--dangelico-premier-ss-black-ex-demo-us2667

The D'Angelico Premier SS no F holes.  Only £399 UK. It almost looks the same and the reviews are very good

Has anyone got a D'Angelico?  Any good?

Edited by LarryUK

One is probably made in Korea, Indonesia or China and one definitely isn't. 

Your gonna get what you pay for. I've touched very few D'Angelico guitars in my day. Maybe in stores I have seen one acoustic and maybe on electric. As I recall they didn't seem to be all that and a bag of chips to me.

I think they may still make USA ones, but will of course be a lot more cash.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The D'Angelico's can be really good, but like a lot of guitars, the company keeps shifting the manufacturing to cheaper builders.

I recall watching stock come and go at Guitar Village. Some of the remaining older more expensive MIK models (which were probably excellent) were side by side with newer stock of the same models from Indonesia, (which may have been great too) were cheaper. It must've looked confusing to a casual punter. 

Try 'em out! Have a fun guitar day!

You can't talk about DA guitars like they are all the same.  There are US made ones, and 3 other series.  Deluxe, Excel, and Premier.  All 4 listed top to bottom.  You often can get the same model from all 4.  Most Premiers are Chinese, and can be bought cheap.  DAs are known for having way too high "regular" prices and are often on sale new for 50% off.  A decent sale, but not as great as it sounds due to the high regular prices.

I have a DA Deluxe SS.  Excellent Korean made Semi hollow with an ebony fretboard.  Flawless fit and finish with a fair amount of bling.  Excellent electronics, plays like a dream and sound great.  But that's 2 series above a Premier.

8 hours ago, Wmachine said:

... DAs are known for having way too high "regular" prices and are often on sale new for 50% off.  A decent sale, but not as great as it sounds due to the high regular prices ...

Yes, they are commonly GC's pick of the day.

15 hours ago, jdgm said:

I'd like an ES 139.   Apparently only 7 came into the UK so they don't come up often.  The shop in Brighton (GAK?)  has or had a black one for a lot of £££.

[cool]

Peach have an exclusive one here for £0.00

https://www.peachguitars.com/special-offer-guitars/gibson-es-139-new-model-available-exclusively-in-the-uk-through-peach-guitars.htm