Gibson Brands Forums

So... an extra $2,300 for patina, different neck, inlays, nut width/material, tuners and pickups?

its98tonight

• its98tonight changed the title to So... an extra $2,300 for patina, different neck, inlays, nut width/material, tuners and pickups?

But the second one has a '61 ES-335 shaped, and apparently has no top material, the neck is solid mahogany, the neck is Authentic '61 Skinny C, the nut is .0008 skinnier and made of nylon,  it has Kluson Single Line Double Ring Tuners, and Custombucker Alnico III's pups.  So in Gibson's world, yes to them you need to pony up $2300 more for the more expensive one. The CEO's kids gotta  eat too.

I'm just bustin' balls. Its ridiculous. I could see a few hundo more not 2300 clams - get the fuk out.

That right there is called greed.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 9:28 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

That right there is called greed.

Well, greed & marketing sillines.  Guitar manufacturers have been doing this for a long time, with signature models & the like.  It’s ridiculous, but what’s really frustrating is when one of these overpriced beasts has the exact features you’ve been looking for!

41 minutes ago, bobouz said:

Well, greed & marketing sillines.  Guitar manufacturers have been doing this for a long time, with signature models & the like.  It’s ridiculous, but what’s really frustrating is when one of these overpriced beasts has the exact features you’ve been looking for!

Yep. Martin does it to. The David Gilmour D-35. Has Dave's name on it and is made out of Sinker Hog instead of RW and its a fortune. Nope. Not today Satan.

To me it is a new model. Maybe a D-34. I'll bet they sound killer, but its not a D-35 unless its RW back and side with a 3 piece back and 1/4 inch bracing.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Pretty much.  I wonder just how skinny the neck is on the 61 Reissue?

When I was a kid I always thought necks could never be too slim but my tastes have changed over the years.  I prefer to have something fill out my hand a bit.

I also don't get the faked patina stuff.  If I buy a new guitar I really want one that looks like new.