Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar ID

Afrevele

Trying to figure this one out. Was given to me by a close friend. No serial number I can find. Definitely Korina as far as I can tell. Gibson branded tuners. Volume/ tone pots are the smaller which seems to me to be Asian made? No markings on the tops, not sure about the sides. Dunno, any help appreciated!

Edited by Afrevele

8 minutes ago, Afrevele said:

Trying to figure this one out. Was given to me by a close friend. No serial number I can find. Definitely Korina as far as I can tell. Gibson branded tuners. Volume/ tone pots are the smaller which seems to me to be Asian made? No markings on the tops, not sure about the sides. Dunno, any help appreciated!

I think it must be made by . . .

How are we supposed to know what you are talking about without pictures. A lot of guys here have a lot of guitar knowledge, but none of us are mind readers.

1 hour ago, Afrevele said:

Asian build with Gibson branded tuners. Its a Chibson someone has tried to legitimise by removing the Gibson logo and the faux serial number.

Next...

On 6/30/2021 at 12:29 AM, merciful-evans said:

I don't know why, but it reminds me of the flag at Iwa jima pic

Eddie's greatness was so extensive that it would just flow into people that were in his presence.  This picture exemplifies that.  Lord knows Michael Anthony's bass playing sure needed it (he kept that job because of his stellar background vocals that Dave absolutely needed and depended on).  The only reason he was allowed a bass solo during a VH concert was because the rest of the band just wanted the 10-minute break, and nothing related to competent bass playing.  Eddie used to refer to him as his "Disneyland" bass player ... pretty funny.

Back to the guitar, though ...

I had a buddy with a mahogany-body Explorer no-name copy from the early 1980s that looked just like that.  His was from Japan, I believe, and was a great guitar.  For all the crap copies that existed at that time, this was not one of those.  His was a VERY good well-made guitar.   My buddy and and his brother were both stellar lead guitar players (his brother was flown out from California by Gene Simmons to audition for KISS after the firing/leaving of Ace Frehley as  a minor related anecdote, which was a big deal in our little circle of high-school musicians.).  This guitar looks like one  of those.  If so, this is a nice little find.  Even the fake-alligator flimsy chipboard case looks the same.

Edited by 01GT eibach