Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 or similar with fatter / chunkier neck

tomvwash

Not sure why it's taken me so long to realize  the skinny neck profile on my 2018 335 is not for me.  What are the alternatives for a fatter neck, Gibson or otherwise? Gibson ES-335 '59? I don't recall if the Heritage H-535 was much different. Thank you for any suggestions. 

I played a very nice 330 in my local shop about a decade ago which was one of the fat-neck limited reissues....and this thing was truly fat, they weren't kidding...played ok but I thought it was ridiculous tbh, far too chubby.  I mean it really was twice the size!!

However the '59 RI ES-335 has the "Authentic '59 Medium C-Shape" which should be somewhat fatter than yours.....as usual it's down to getting out there and finding the right one.  

I do not think from what you write that you would like (for instance) the Ibanez equivalent, e.g. the John Scofield model as those necks are 'modern' - wide, flattish and thin.  The same with Yamaha and Aria, though they are all good/well-made guitars AFAIK and I'm generalising massively.  Because by the time the far-East makers started really getting it right with respect to competing with and copying from American-made designs (I'd say from the early 70s on), slimmer necks were in.   

Of course my opinion needs to be informed by a visit to a guitar shop which I haven't done in about 18 months now.   Fatter necks are out there but rarer I think.  Eastman and Peerless have good reps...there's potentially a lot to choose from, but you can never tell without trying.  

Edited by jdgm

3 hours ago, jdgm said:

I played a very nice 330 in my local shop about a decade ago which was one of the fat-neck limited reissues....and this thing was truly fat, they weren't kidding...played ok but I thought it was ridiculous tbh, far too chubby.  I mean it really was twice the size!!

That's the neck on the 335 Fat Neck, too.  

Kid at GC kept hovering over me to buy it.  

No thank you...

On 7/5/2021 at 12:24 PM, merciful-evans said:

I have still yet to try any 335. At such time as I do, I would also like to compare them to a FGN Masterfield.

A 330 is closer - fully hollow body - the 335 has the centre block to hold the bridge, tailpiece and pickups.

Thos FGNs look nice.....[thumbup]

14 hours ago, jdgm said:

A 330 is closer - fully hollow body - the 335 has the centre block to hold the bridge, tailpiece and pickups.

Thos FGNs look nice.....[thumbup]

TBH the A330 appeals much more, but a 335 would at least be gigable (if we ever do gig again...).

The Masterfield construction appeals. The sides incorporate the centreblock as in this MSA-HP-C version

m_MSA-HP_BBTQ_1_2.jpg 

Some of the CS-336's were spec'd with fat necks, but they're hard to find. You might also look into the Collings I-35 - every one of those I've picked up had outstanding build quality and felt more like an acoustic guitar neck than like my 60s slim taper CS-356 (which actually feels more like a 59-spec LP neck than a skinny/flat shred machine).