Gibson Brands Forums

Charts vs Sheet Music vs Scribbled Notes vs Nothing

DanvillRob

On 7/1/2021 at 6:23 PM, zombywoof said:

I cannot pay attention to much of anything and play at the same time.  The surest way to guarantee I will screw up is to get me to think about what I am playing.  I just utter a silent prayer to the guitar gods that the muscle memory particularly in my right hand does not have a brain fart.  

Right

On 7/3/2021 at 8:03 PM, BoSoxBiker said:

I've been thinking about this off and on all day long. I've been inspired to learn songs that I have had no prior interest in only after hearing a cover, but never sought out covers to get various approaches to songs I was interested in learning. Makes perfect, obvious sense to me. I'm going to give that approach a go. Thanks!

I learned Amy Speace's "Ghost" only because I heard Krasi (MRGIBBS) do it..... often the covers will give you insight to the song's 'hook'.

42 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

I’ve got everything on my IPad.  Lyrics and chords.   I use it on some songs.  Just depends on the song.  I’ve got around 150 songs on it and regularly play 50-60 of them.  The rest I mix-in from time to time.  Using the IPad is easy when I need it.

I have all my charts on my iPad and iPhone (and computer), but I rarely use them, (last time was when I was in the French Alps and the hotel we stayed had a guitar in the lounge).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I have all my charts on my iPad and iPhone (and computer), but I rarely use them, (last time was when I was in the French Alps and the hotel we stayed had a guitar in the lounge).

Yeah, those lounges with a guitar are cool.  We just got back from The Wisconsin Dels and they had a large common area in the resort we stayed at (Wilderness Resort).  They had an Alvarez there that wasn’t bad and a small sound system.  It’s easy to sound good when you play just five songs that you actually do well…..lol…People think your better than you really are…..At least that’s how it worked for me….lol…lIt was fun.

16 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Yeah, those lounges with a guitar are cool.  We just got back from The Wisconsin Dels and they had a large common area in the resort we stayed at (Wilderness Resort).  They had an Alvarez there that wasn’t bad and a small sound system.  It’s easy to sound good when you play just five songs that you actually do well…..lol…People think your better than you really are…..At least that’s how it worked for me….lol…lIt was fun.

Sounds like fun!

I was in Zermatt, Switzerland...and there was a lounge with a small grand piano in it.   Sign said to not touch....I asked the barkeep, (or whoever) if I could play....he said, okay....so I played all the songs I know on piano, (and a few I didn't know).

It’s relative to how polished you want your Performance & Show to be.. if it’s Shorts, T Shirts, Flip Flops, Sitting Down it doesn’t matter.  Use whatever you want.. 

If it’s a first rate Pro Polished Act, no Music Stands, no Charts… Rehearse & know your stuff!