Gibson Brands Forums

Interested in learning more about old tenor banjo

My wife's grandfather played this old tenor banjo. It is a really cool and wonderful instrument but I don't know much about these things. Hoping some of you folks might be able to tell me more about it.

The attached pdf file shows several pictures. The serial number seems to be 11406-18.  Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks very much! -- MontanaMusicGuy

tenor_banjo.pdf

3 hours ago, MontanaMusicGuy said:

My wife's grandfather played this old tenor banjo. It is a really cool and wonderful instrument but I don't know much about these things. Hoping some of you folks might be able to tell me more about it.

The attached pdf file shows several pictures. The serial number seems to be 11406-18.  Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks very much! -- MontanaMusicGuy

tenor_banjo.pdf 189.1 kB · 1 download

I can't see the attachment.  If I can see a picture, chances are I can tell you a lot.

Best,

-Tom

My suggestion is to contact Gruhn Music in Nashville.  They specialize in vintage instruments and should give you some background on the instrument.  As well as do an appraisal using photos.   Gibson banjos have a great reputation.  Gruhn Music is very reputable.

Hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

3 hours ago, tpbiii said:

I can't see the attachment.  If I can see a picture, chances are I can tell you a lot.

Best,

-Tom

The attachment works for me. Unfortunately  I know nothing about this or any other banjo. 

Tom should be able to tell you a lot when he can access the pictures.  The photos did come up for me, and although my knowledge is quite limited on these, it appears to be a TB-4 from the '20s.  The original tuners have been replaced.

One thing I can tell you with some certainty, is that it's value to players & collectors will not be up in the stratosphere of banjodom.  It's design predates the classic Gibson banjos which have the head of the instrument resting on a tone ring (typically mounted on a 3-ply maple rim).   

• Like 1

FWIW  -  Gibson's banjo plant was destroyed in that city's flood 10 years ago and there appear to be no plans to go back into that product line.  Their five string blue grass banjos were the Rolls Royces, not sure about their tenors. 

c. 1923  TB4  I'll check the serial numbers -- they are documented pretty well.  Here is my 5-string RB-4 and GB-4 from the same period.

XICqjzP.jpgmTMEaLd.jpg

They redesigned the whole line in 1925 -- the mastertone.  Yours is not too valuable -- the matertones from the 1930s can be very valuable fot bluegrass.

From Gruhn and Carter

6XyPw5T.jpg

The only serial number data I have ust says 1922-frb 1925

Best,

-Tom

Edited by tpbiii

15 hours ago, tpbiii said:

Best,

-Tom

Hello Tom, thanks so much for your reply -- I couldn't find a way to upload a picture because it seems like the allowable file size is very limited. The pdf file I uploaded can be downloaded, though, and it has two pages of pictures. Here is a link to the pictures, though: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qvgftBDBm3ntMv1a8

thanks very much! Very much appreciate your help!

Cheers,  Russ