Gibson Brands Forums

It's time to let my custom go

dadtkm

Not really sure what happened.   Maybe life got in the way , who knows but it's time to move on.  I have decided to sell my 137 but I'm having a hard time coming up with an asking price. I searched the internet for a few days,  looking at everything 137 but only found one for sale.  Looking for advice or somewhere that might be able to help out a little.  Thanks. 

I don't know where you're located but I'd say price it like a Les Paul Standard, maybe a little more and see what happens.  I don't know how much of a market there is for them but I wouldn't sell it if I were you, that seems like something you'll come to regret.

Picture a gigantic, wider Les Paul with a some weight relief, a fairly fat neck, tall frets and the ToneSuck Device and that's pretty much it.

4VXKNAu.jpg

The market for used guitars is a little crazy right now what with the long wait for new guitar orders.  But I'm not sure a 137 Custom will bring LP Custom prices?  As I recall the 137 was a maple/poplar/maple sandwich for body and top, not a solid mahogany with carved maple top.  Although I may be wrong and the top is a solid carved wood?  But as I recall these were quite a bit less expensive than  a LP when they were new, so I would think the corresponding used price would also be a little less.  At the same time there were not that many of these made compared to the number of LPs and 335s that are out there so I supposed the scarcity would drive the price up to someone who really wants one.

I remember trying one when they came out - and it was a rock machine.  Comfortable (light) with fast action and some pretty hot pickups.  

Thank you for the replies.  I was reaching out looking for a fair value.  There isn't very much information  , price wise on these guitars.  I am still  on the fence about moving on.  I play my acoustic more even though they hang side by side . Now I have a better feel for where to start.  Thanks again. 

$2500-3200 seems to be the going rate, any higher than that and it'll probably sit forever.

There might come a time when you want a change from the acoustic and you'll be kicking yourself - the money will be long gone and so will the guitar.  I don't think you'll find a better guitar than what you've got.

I use a photo editing site (IrfanView) and then a photo hosting site (imgur) and for imgur you copy Direct Link.  

L1hyK00.jpg

OjscRRy.jpg