Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone know how to spot a fake PRS?

stevezapp

I know this is the Gibson forum, but what the hey...

Does anyone have any tips on how to spot a fake PRS? The seller has sent me pics, but they are terrible quality. I've asked for more, but he doesn't have a decent camera...

He's bringing the guitar to me, so i'll be able to try her out, but I wondered if there are any tell tell signs that it's a ringer.

It's a PRS Custom 22 Birds in Black Cherry.

Here are the pics: -

IMAGE_355.jpg

IMAGE_361.jpg

IMAGE_362.jpg

It has the correct tuners and bridge. I wouldn't worry too much. Most of the PRS "fakes" I've seen are actually more of a copy than a counterfeit. That is, they don't really seem to even get the body shape right, let alone all the little details.

A couple small things to check...

Look around the bird inlays. Is the fit nice and tight, or is there a ton of filler around the edge? Check the "binding" on the top. It'll either have the edge of the maple cap finished in natural, or stained the same color as the top. Either way, you should be able to see the flame on the edge matching up with the lines on the top. Looking at the last pic, I can see it has the natural finish around the edge and I can see a couple spots where the flame lines up. As I said earlier, it looks legit.

Not to get too far off topic but I have tried quite a few PRS's in the local shops.

I must say they are well built, but I was very under-whelmed at their sound and feel.

Very generic sounding and over priced. I suppose the same could be said for some Gibsons as well.

Not to get too far off topic but I have tried quite a few PRS's in the local shops.

I must say they are well built' date=' but I was very under-whelmed at their sound and feel.

Very generic sounding and over priced. I suppose the same could be said for some Gibsons as well.[/quote']

This is a good point, I've yet to try a PRS.

I'm gonna get down to my local dealer and try one out before the guys comes to me.

It has the correct tuners and bridge. I wouldn't worry too much. Most of the PRS "fakes" I've seen are actually more of a copy than a counterfeit. That is' date=' they don't really seem to even get the body shape right, let alone all the little details.

A couple small things to check...

Look around the bird inlays. Is the fit nice and tight, or is there a ton of filler around the edge? Check the "binding" on the top. It'll either have the edge of the maple cap finished in natural, or stained the same color as the top. Either way, you should be able to see the flame on the edge matching up with the lines on the top. Looking at the last pic, I can see it has the natural finish around the edge and I can see a couple spots where the flame lines up. As I said earlier, it looks legit.[/quote']

I shall take a good look at the egde. Cheers!

It looks correct. Tuners, front, finish...even with the bad pics. The case is a PRS case as well. I haven't seen or heard of people faking PRS guitars...it's not like someone trying to fake a vintage Fender or Gibson....now those bring in the big bucks.

Fake PRS's can be bought at the same Chinese web site that sell Gibson's, but thay all have goofy colors. I think your looks

legit. I own a PRS and love it. Its the best $500.00 guitar I own. I have never played their more expensive models but if

I were going to spend $3000. on another guitar it would be a Gibson.

My 335 is the most expensive guitar I own and it is worth every penny I paid.

Archived