Gibson Brands Forums

all about YOU... (and your 1st les paul) ;P

pumpkin

I got my '61 Melody Maker in Largo Fl. in 1969. Played the "Surfside" at Clearwater Beach at age 12 in 1970 as a kid.

Was gigging bars in Apache Jct Arizona in 1974 at the age of 16, for $25.00 a night. Worked the Lucky Nugget, Brass Bell, Johnny Below Zeros (later) ect.

Bought my first '72 Les Paul Recording around 1980. Gigged it for 14 years from Az., to Lake Charles La., to Illinois.

Recorded "DOUBLE AUGHT" (cdbaby.com) in 1998, with a '79 SG and a Strat.

Still gig every weekend.

Murph.

When i started playing guitar i played an acoustic guitar, and my friends band was in desperate need for a rhythm guitarist

so after 2 lessons they asked me to join i was like "..sure..." so i bought a 2nd hand epiphone and learned powerchords and i had no idea about reading these dots on a paper so i learned to read internet tabs when a friend showed me how to do (The lead guitarist) and that kinda resulted in never learning to read music properly, only tabs =P~

The music i prefer is either 70s punk bands like The Clash and Sex Pistols and grunge bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Nirvana etc.

I know how to read music, but mostly transcribe things by ear. I have a 72' Vintage LP (Cherry Sunburst), and a nice marshal amp. I am in a garage band, that should be famous. I learned guitar by just diddle-daddling around with some crappy First Act (i look back in shame), then moved on to a nice Fender Squire. After about a year and a half of playing, i got my Gibby.

To tell you the truth I am the 1st person in my family to be good at guitar, just decided to pick it up one day... look where it brought me. I am not married... as I am only 18 years of age. I do have a girlfriend, in whom can sing expert on guitar hero/rock band (haha) so at least i can share my love for music with someone.

I rarely look up tabs, only when the song has some crazy solo, i.e. Master of Puppets and Walk, things like that. I like to use cleartones. but will settle for some high end DR any day.

One day here, i will post a picture of my guitar, but until then you'll just have to imagine it :].

its so nice to log in & see my thread still going! people are fascinating and i truly enjoy hearing all about yall!

billybob... i see YOU are an AC/DC fan TOO!!!

naturally.. you have no clue the amount of money i would spend to get Angus's guitar' date=' the is such a nice one.

nice to see there are other AC/DC fans out there.. and glad to see that you're form is still going strong, as well.

It's nice to be able to relate to people in a Expensive Guitar way... just one way we are superior :']]]

I took lessons from the time I was 6 until about 13. I was able to read music very well and never a fair amount of theory. I quit when I was tired of learning the same thing over and over again and when my teacher tried to discourage me from learning any of the music I liked. I picked it up again when I was 18, I picked up a BC Rich Bronze Bich and a small Crate 15 watt practice amp. I can't read music anymore and know very little theory, but I actually enjoy playing more. I relearned mostly from friends and the internet. My first and only Les Paul is a 2007 BFG Limited in Silverburst. I'd love to get a Silverburst Custom or a Desertburst Standard or Traditional.

My 1st Les Paul story... posted before in another topic...

16 years old - 1979 - bought a brand new "The Paul" from two friends in high school who worked at a music storel. Turned out they had taken it out the back when the owner wasn't looking and thrown it in the dumpster to pick up later. Anyway - borrowed the $200 from my dad. Paid him back $20 a week until it was paid off. Played it for about 10 years. Don't have any pictures of it unfortunately.

I started playing around 1955 or so - went to a teacher who asked if I could read - I couldn't - he said come back when you can, which I did.

First reasonably good guitars - Hoyer and Hofner - first REALLY good guitar - Guild Duane Eddy.

First (and only) Les Paul - LP Recording bought new in 1972 and still with me - never needed another!!

Tried ES175 and L5s along the way, but they didn't last very long. The LPR is way too good!!

Regarding READING - if you WANT to read (and read well) the way to do it is to WRITE music. Start out by copying the lead part from a song sheet. Then TRANSPOSE to different keys. If you have MIDI at your disposal on computer learn to write what you hear.

For example, Wes MOSTLY played in triplets, but if you look at the transcriptions they are written as quarter notes (for you USA guys) which is obviously wrong but done for ease of writing. You can learn a lot about note timing that way.

WRITE, WRITE, WRITE - you'll soon be reading well enough to get by - after that it is up to you.

DaveG

hi pumkin i have a gibson les paul ebony double cutaway, had chrome grover tuners just changed them out to vintage mint green tuners and some elixers really nice,expensive, but nice.

two am strats.

i mainly play blues, by ear, i had learned scales.

my wife doesnt really sit around a hear me play. or really encourages me to play. she sometimes actually complains about the time i spend playing.

i tell her, this or another woman,lol.. nah, just kidding.

i jam out with friends, or my line 6 spider jam. wonderful amp by the way.

i am obsessed over over guitars and playing.

I played and had lessons for a couple of years as a teenager, I fell away from it though as it was to theory based for me but always picked up the guitar from time to time. Fast forward to December/January and due to some life changes I decided to start playing again, food for the soul so to speak.

As I had always played Strats I decided to buy a new American Standard, then came a Hot Rod Deluxe amp, after this the inevitable happened..... GAS for a Les Paul... I sold off my record collection and saved a bit more and then settled on a 2008 standard in Desert Burst. It took a few months to arrive but sadly it was below par when it did. Due to this I got a killer deal on a '59 VOS which is just amazing.

I love guitar, I think what makes it unique is that every day is a school day. You can always learn something new. Other hobbies I have had end up being sidelined after a while due to almost mastery very quickly. I don't think any player would ever confess to be a master, so the quest will always continue and it is a hell of a lot of fun doing this and there are loads of beautiful guitars to buy. Win Win :-/

Interesting Post with lot's of differnet answers - for me

Yep I can read music I started on Piano and sax at 7 so learned to read and write music about the same time I learned to read and write.

Wife isn't a musician but very supportive including buying guitars and hours spent listening to different guitars she has a good ear as is invaluable in helping to pick guitars, she also recognizes most brands on site and even some of the models... good woman and still my best friend after 27 years of marriage.

First LP was in 1977 going away to college and parents bought me a brand new LP in Black and a L6-s when a football scholarship picked up the tuition bill.

One kid a Girl now 20 she's sings in a band and play's both keyboard and guitar damn the circle of life stuff sucks she's about as wild as I was.

Dog is a twelve year old Terrier, that weigh 10 lbs soaking wet. This is a terrible phone picture of my dog yesterday when I got home ears back, tail tucked between his legs and a look of pure terror on his face. I have no idea what he did and haven't found the damage yet but if you ever own a terrier they are little balls of energy when they look like this there guilty and it's bad. My wife took one look and said what did he do? I just shrugged she laughed and said it's bad when you find it you'll wish that you beat your dog you know that right? I just shrugged again I mean what can I say just because I haven't found the damage yet he's still guilty, I can tell by looking at him... This is the same look a kid get's when they come running home after they almost killed themselves doing something they are not allowed to do..

P.S. Oh missed the favorite musician question Warren Haynes and yep I'm such a fan I did buy a Warren Haynes model LP and Yes it is my #1 guitar to play :-

IMG_2259.jpg

Archived