Gibson Brands Forums

Most Complex Pop Song Ever

8 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I know the song and never noticed the crazy chord changes. 

That's the beauty of a well-crafted, nicely-produced pop song. 
If the melody and singing are sublimely catchy, then it sounds simple, and most listeners and laymen would never know (or care) how musically-complex the song is. 

It's only when the musician in us picks up the guitar or sits down at the keyboard and tries to suss it out that we discover the textures and layers of the composition. 

This is why very few bar bands play much Rush or Steely Dan, right?

😐

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Sorry, we can go back to "Gene Kelly was the Eddie Van Halen of dancing" now.   🙄 😒

If a member makes a negative comment regarding one of your threads, you often have to reply by making a negative comment about one of their previous threads.  
You do it all the time  

why?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, brad1 said:

If a member makes a negative comment regarding one of your threads, you often have to reply by making a negative comment about one of their previous threads.  
You do it all the time  

why?

If there is static between 2 or more forum members, you often involve yourself as if you're an unofficial moderator.  You do it all the time.  

why?

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, brad1 said:

You do it all the time  

why?

Short Answer:   Tit 4 Tat.    

Long Answer:     Unable to vent frustration when the news runs stories that upset us and the politics that intrude into our daily lives, Social Media provides us with a refuge  or 'safe space' where we can speak up for ourselves when we feel something we put out there is disrespected.   We couldn't do it in school when bullied, we can't do it at work when our boss is a jerk. But we can do it here.  

You just did !    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Man, am I tired of YT clips that are more  self indulgent gab than compelling content.  But in spite of that, there was some interesting things here.  And certainly, since it's the man's own clip, he's certainly entitled to his opinion.  But too, him being a much better guitarist than me might hold more weight, but I find THIS one a bit more, if not AS complex as his pick.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

If there is static between 2 or more forum members, you often involve yourself as if you're an unofficial moderator.  You do it all the time.  

why?

something's wrong with you...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zero humor and the agony of political persecution all in one thread about a pop song with big chords in it.  And folks wonder why other folks just don't bother any longer.  lolz

rct

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, rct said:

Zero humor and the agony of political persecution all in one thread about a pop song with big chords in it.  And folks wonder why other folks just don't bother any longer.  lolz

rct

Just think if someone had mentioned President Trump!

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Short Answer:   Tit 4 Tat.    

Long Answer:     Unable to vent frustration when the news runs stories that upset us and the politics that intrude into our daily lives, Social Media provides us with a refuge  or 'safe space' where we can speak up for ourselves when we feel something we put out there is disrespected.   We couldn't do it in school when bullied, we can't do it at work when our boss is a jerk. But we can do it here.  

You just did !    

Here we go again. You guys need to be careful. You know the CIA, FBI, NSA, ICE and the Pillsbury Dough Boy are going through our emails as we speak, spying on our every post.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I learned the "Midnight At The Oasis" solo and used to play it live in a band.   Easier in D than the recorded Eb.

You can't do some of his extreme bends so you have to find equivalents by sliding.  Also I used a pick and he uses his rh fingers.

Amos Garrett -  a great guitar player.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

Maria Muldaur. Maiden name Maria D'Amato.   Member of the "Even Dozen Jug Band".  With John Sebastian and Stephan Grossman and Geof Muldaur who she married. They were a one album wonder - very talented, back in the 60s.  Along with their competition Jim Kweskin.  She was  an amazing singer and super attractive.   I suppose she still is.