Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to understand PRS guitars

RudyH

I can understand various Gibson guitars because they have been used to pioneer a sound or a subgenre of music. Likewise with Fenders and some other brands. I do have a hard time understanding PRS because, although I realize they have plenty of artist endorsers, the guitars haven't apparently been used in a way that distinguishes them from other brands.

Have they? I realize PRS is the third of the big three guitar builders in the US, I just don't understand why. What makes them desirable? Is it just the cosmetics and the quality componentry?

I've tried to like them, but when I've heard samples from various artists I heard nothing remarkable, and when I've tried them out, they weren't very interesting. On the other hand, I've picked up some other guitars I don't own and have been quite excited about them, for example, the Telecaster. I don't own one, but it seems fabulous.

I'm certainly missing something important here.

I think if you learned a little of their history about how and why they came about you would understand. I've read their history somewhere along the line I think when I was stationed in Maryland (they are HQ in Maryland). I could tell what I remember, but I would probably miss some important parts of his story.

One thing I remember is that one of if not the first guitar he sold was to Carlos Santana - at least sold to a big artist anyway; I'm sure he sold others to local players first.

I did read their history, that's what motiviated the question. Santana did almost all of his memorable work before 1980, when he got the PRS, and his sound is no different now than it was in the early 1970s. I see his relationship to PRS as an endorsement deal, not a creative connection. Nugent does not appear to use PRS, and is strongly identified with the Byrdland.

in my very limited experience with PRS guitars...i can see where RogerGLewis coming from...quality wise the PRS is up there with higher end Gibsons...also it is quite comfortable to hold and to play...the bird inlays are cool...the custom color combos are almost limitless...and i like the headstock and the modified strat body...im not a fan of the fake les paul looking ones though...that is where i draw the line!

Rudy, I think Roger nailed it.

I'll quote him and add a few things.

PRS guitars are known for the quality of finish and high standard of quality control...

Paul Read Smith himself is a keen guitar player and on a quest of his own for his own sound.

I own one' date=' I have many friends that do, and I know a couple collectors who have dozens!

The attention to detail on the finish of each instrument is pretty obsessive not just cosmetically
They are unmatched in fit, finish and quality.

and PRS have resisted the short term gains of selling their Brand into the larger music conglomerates
Imagine what would have happened if Fender bought them.

What happened to Guild' date=' Gretsch?

they probably would have had to compromise if they had gone down that route.
That's an understatement...

The achievements of PRS over the past 30 years are actually remarkable and if I were an american I think I would be very proud that a third' date=' world beating recognised, brand had been created in a world where so much else is said to be better done in the far east.[/quote']Number three and very comfortable. I'm guessing they're doing fine with the market slump.

I haven't ever had gas for a PRS but I am told by Steve that if I tried one I'd want one' date=' I'm sure he is right. [/quote'] He's right.

They will never replace my Les Paul or my Strats and Teles, though that seems to be the biggest myth.

They are extremely versatile, if you do gigs it's the only guitar you need to get VERY close to the sound.

They don't do anything new or different, but they do it ALL very well.

Here's mine.

The waves in the top will make you sea sick.

3377556066_ed2213ce88.jpg?v=0

1416120428_3e5e1a388c.jpg?v=1190351838

1416283764_d9167f0099.jpg?v=1190353083

I don't really like them but those I have played seemed like they were built with lots of attention to detail and quality. I have played some expensive and some cheap PRS... the cheap were way better than epiphone in terms of feel and tone (but looked the same quality, maybe they are made in the same factory hehehe)... the expensive models I played sounded good and felt better than most guitars I've played, but I can't get past the looks, and they were more expensive than any gibson for sale here.

I'll come clean.

I started the thread 'Anyone know how to spot a fake PRS' because I've had the offer of said PRS and an Epiphone Sheraton for my First Run GOR.

I've never really got on with the GOR, and now that I have my VOS R0, I don't think i'll ever play the GOR again. I'm thinking that I may as well go down a different route and try something new.

I've wanted a trem loaded guitar for a while and was thinking about an American Strat, but everyone talks highly of PRS', so I'm really considering taking the deal. Plus I don't have a semi, so the Sheraton would come in rather handy.

Comments?

To be honest, I've always thought of PRS guitars as high-end imitators that are unnecessarily garish. My guitar playing friends know exactly what brand I'm referring to when I say "clown guitars." NeoConMan's post is a perfect example of what I mean. I'd feel stupid holding a guitar that looked like that (no offense meant personally, I just really don't like PRS finishes), and I doubt it'll do any tone my Les Paul won't.

I'll come clean.

I started the thread 'Anyone know how to spot a fake PRS' because I've had the offer of said PRS and an Epiphone Sheraton for my First Run GOR.

I've never really got on with the GOR' date=' and now that I have my VOS R0, I don't think i'll ever play the GOR again. I'm thinking that I may as well go down a different route and try something new.

I've wanted a trem loaded guitar for a while and was thinking about an American Strat, but everyone talks highly of PRS', so I'm really considering taking the deal. Plus I don't have a semi, so the Sheraton would come in rather handy.

Comments?[/quote']

For what it's worth, I had an epi sheraton...it was a piece of crap. Maybe mine was just a lemon, but the quality was terrible, it wouldn't stay in tune, it sounded bad and the fit and finish was terrible. I sold it quickly.

As for PRS, I've wanted a McCarty Soapbar for while now. I think they sound and play great.

Archived