Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar my Nanny passed down to me

cqlove87

25 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Works fine here - the guitar looks great. Something tells me it's a spruce top, , , I may stand corrected before knowing it.                                                                                                                                                                     

The screwed down shield on the head covers a metal rod meant to adjust the neck. The truss rod. Some of these oldies didn't have them, , , yours does, be glad. And try to open it, perhaps even check if the thing still turns. But go with care (no wrong tool) - and not more than '5 minutes' either right or left. Turning to the bass side means lower action, treble higher. 

Good Luck

What kind of wood do the back and sides look like? Mahogany or Maple? Also the neck?

3 minutes ago, cqlove87 said:

What kind of wood do the back and sides look like? Mahogany or Maple? Also the neck?

The back'n'sides could look a little like rosewood (don't know if such variation was made at all), but I have to say mahogany.                                                                                                                  The neck is mahogany for sure.

2 hours ago, cqlove87 said:

Ok ,here are the pictures I took today. I hope the link works! Let me know if yall can see them! Here is the link. Thank you my Rolling Stones man for the info on the picture sharing.
https://imgur.com/a/HHrfl4z

Next time try hovering the pointer of the mouse over the photo, right click and select Copy image address then paste that into your post.  

Looks nice and has a great background. I love guitars with a history.

There's another good story on 

I noticed the shift of the strings from the nut to the bridge where the high E almost leaves the fret board.

The special things about these Kalamazoo Gal guitars is the irregularities. Or maybe it's movement over the years or a misplaced bridge pin placement from a bridge replacement.  Either way if it plays well I wouldn't worry about it.

What a beautiful bridge ~

Y2vlYxJ.jpg

Rosewood. . 

I take back my mahogany top comment! As my kids still say, when in doubt, bet against dad.

The closeups reveal spruce.

As for dating the guitar, it has the simple binding (earlier models had multiple purfling top and back) but the fancy rosette (later models had a simpler rosette). My estimate is late 1943/early 1944.

Back and sides are stained mahogany.

12 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

John, if you have a spare book.... I'd buy it from you personally if you'd sign it for me!

I'm sure I could simply Pay Pal you whatever the cost would be.

Bob

Bob,

I'm currently out of books, but will be ordering more soon. Thanks for caring about the Gals. Send me a PM and we'll work out the details. Price is $20 plus shipping.

In the interest of full disclosure, a friend once sent me links to two sales on eBay. The signed copy was cheaper! 🙂

CQL,  Like people, guitars can get fragile and finicky as they age.  I'd caution against trying to see if the Truss Rod turns at all.   It is the nut that turns, of course, not the rod -  and one full turn  which is 360 degrees, would most likely damage the neck. I would guess that "5 minutes" would be infinitesimal - impossible to discern, you'd likely be unable to turn it at least 1/8th of a turn.  If the nut/rod hasn't been touched in 75 years - chances are it's 'stuck' (possible rust and corrosion) and you'd want a luthier to tease it.   It would serve no purpose for you to find out if it is stuck or not and the risk of causing costly, possibly irreversible harm outweighs your getting that info.   Like the Hippocratic Oath says -  "First, Do No Harm".     And as Shakespeare said  "Get thee to a Luthier."  (OK, nunnery, but same thing.)

13 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

CQL,  Like people, guitars can get fragile and finicky as they age.  I'd caution against trying to see if the Truss Rod turns at all.   It is the nut that turns, of course, not the rod -  and one full turn  which is 360 degrees, would most likely damage the neck. I would guess that "5 minutes" would be infinitesimal - impossible to discern, you'd likely be unable to turn it at least 1/8th of a turn.  If the nut/rod hasn't been touched in 75 years - chances are it's 'stuck' (possible rust and corrosion) and you'd want a luthier to tease it.   It would serve no purpose for you to find out if it is stuck or not and the risk of causing costly, possibly irreversible harm outweighs your getting that info.   Like the Hippocratic Oath says -  "First, Do No Harm".     And as Shakespeare said  "Get thee to a Luthier."  (OK, nunnery, but same thing.)

What fortyearspickn said. I love doing DYI, but I wouldn't do this until a professional familiar with vintage work did it once.

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Agree that one has to go on cats feet. Yet it's too tempting not to try. Turning the truss rod nut may be impossible after all these years, but it must be checked sooner or later. And the suggested 5 minutes would be on the safe side. 

Some have the nerve do do things like this (can't help it) others don't. I'm in the middle and normally don't shy away for experimenting with things that aren't hazardous and can be rolled back. Work with truss rod a lot to get the balance exactly right and even 1-2-3 minutes make remarkable difference, believe me.                             But yes, it's hypersensitive territory.  

5 hours ago, jt said:

Bob,

I'm currently out of books, but will be ordering more soon. Thanks for caring about the Gals. Send me a PM and we'll work out the details. Price is $20 plus shipping.

In the interest of full disclosure, a friend once sent me links to two sales on eBay. The signed copy was cheaper! 🙂

John, I want a book signed by you....not a signed sticker.

I'll pay whatever price you deem appropriate.

I'll send you a PM, and you can let me know when you have more.

I'd MUCH rather give you 100% of the money.

Thanks, Bob

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Don’t worry! I have no inclination to adjust the truss rod. I have the same thoughts as you ,being that the instrument is 75 plus years old. The guitar plays fine, so no adjustments are needed. As for a luthier, I will have to find one in the area but am hesitant to leave the guitar overnight if work must be done to it! 

Edited by cqlove87

32 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Thanks, Bob

Ah. I should have thought of this option before I bought my copy! The sticker will have to do! 

4 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Thanks, Bob

Bob,

Thank you. Price is $20. I get to buy wholesale from my publisher, so I make a few dollars on direct sales. $1.30, I think, from Amazon.

Thanks, again.

John

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Agree that one has to go on cats feet. Yet it's too tempting not to try. Turning the truss rod nut may be impossible after all these years, but it must be checked sooner or later. And the suggested 5 minutes would be on the safe side. 

Some have the nerve do do things like this (can't help it) others don't. I'm in the middle and normally don't shy away for experimenting with things that aren't hazardous and can be rolled back. Work with truss rod a lot to get the balance exactly right and even 1-2-3 minutes make remarkable difference, believe me.                             But yes, it's hypersensitive territory.  

Oh, I'd have no problem with trying out the truss rod. I do on all of my vintage guitars if the neck relief needs adjusting. I've never had a problem, with Gibsons going back to the late 1920s.

Of course,  don't force the nut. If the nut doesn't move easily, take the guitar to a luthier.

30 minutes ago, jt said:

Oh, I'd have no problem with trying out the truss rod. I do on all of my vintage guitars if the neck relief needs adjusting. I've never had a problem, with Gibsons going back to the late 1920s.

Of course,  don't force the nut. If the nut doesn't move easily, take the guitar to a luthier.

Exactly, sir - don't be afraid of your guitar, make it a friend by digging in - but never force or wrestle it. Go gently.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:51 PM, jt said:

I've found that loosening the truss rod just a tick will often indicate if it is moveable. You can then try tightening it if it isn't stuck.

3 minutes ago, PrairieSchooner said:

What a great guitar, and your thread title would make a great country song title 😃!

The guitar nanny passed down to me                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     is such vintage mystery                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Every time I pick it up                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  it makes me never wanna stop

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

The guitar nanny passed down to me                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     is such vintage mystery                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Every time I pick it up                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  it makes me never wanna stop

Shooby-Do-Wah-Be-Dah!

• Like 1