Gibson Brands Forums

Marks on Fretboard of a new 335

dhiltonlittle

I just received a new 335 from the factory and noticed it has some marks/dents on the fretboard in 4 or 5 spots. It almost looks like a machine or tool was clamped down too hard on the board and it left a small dent running parallel to the fret in the center. Is this something common on Gibson guitars? Any idea what the cause is? Should I let it slide or return it for another? It plays and sounds great otherwise.

IMG_1lq.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like the person who scraped that with a razor blade left some noticeable impressions. Wouldn’t worry about it, it’s pretty common. Hand-made guitars, gotta love em. Seriously wouldn’t worry about it as that’s pretty small and looks like it won’t affect the way the guitar plays. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. It's kind of hard to capture in a picture but it looks like something very precise was clamped down on it. Not so much a razor scrape but I'm not sure what the tool they use to do that is. I'm really liking the sound/tone of this one in particular so would hate to swap it out for one that has no or less blemishes but doesn't sound as special. Is it something that could be smoothed out without damaging the wood or it is what it is? 

It will smooth out on its own to a certain extent, with use.  If you try and improve things without knowing exactly what you are doing  (and what result you are going for) there is a strong chance that you will make it worse.   If it was me I would take it to a good repairman (who can work on guitars other than solid bodies) and ask.  I'd also get him to check all the frets as the photo makes it look as if the frets aren't quite seated properly.  A good setup is always worth the money IMO.

Best wishes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is odd and I can see why you think something may have been clamped on there, but that is probably not the case.  As mentioned, as you play the guitar over time the fretboard will wear down some and those marks will become less and less obvious.  As long as it plays and sounds so good I'd keep it and live with the marks.

• Like 1

I’m going out on a limb and saying no clamps, only razor blades. Watch how these guitars are made and pay close attention to when the people are posted to scrape bindings all day long to remove the excess finish with razor blades. Sorry don’t have a link but web searches are easy to do. It’s 2021, I’m lazy haha!

Edited by NighthawkChris