Gibson Brands Forums

Creedence Clearwater Revival Book, "Up Around The Bend"

DanvillRob

Was reading the Creedence Clearwater Revival Book, "Up Around The Bend" this morning.

It seems John Fogerty was upset that the "San Francisco Sound" of the 60's  was defined as Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Moby Grape,  & Quicksilver Messenger Service, when it should have been defined as, Peter Wheat and the  Breadmen, We Five and Santana!

I am very humbled that John mentioned my group from back then, (Peter Wheat).

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'UP BEND AROUND THE Hue oral history of CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL THRISTRO Craig Werner'

May be an image of book

May be an image of text

• Like 3

Very cool indeed....a little immortality can't hurt!![biggrin]

I was fortunate enough to see their only UK performance at the Albert Hall - had a seat at the side of the stage about 6ft from Tom Fogerty.  Wow.   I was 15 or 16.

They were a GREAT band; I still have "Bayou Country" on vinyl and the rest of it on CD.   Original copies of their LPs are being advertised for very high prices by some online dealers.

John Fogerty has one of the greatest, instantly-recognizable rock voices. [thumbup]

Edited by jdgm

19 hours ago, jdgm said:

John Fogerty has one of the greatest, instantly-recognizable rock voices. [thumbup]

Indeed.  I remember back then that CREEM mag writer Dave Marsh tagged him as the "Male Janis Joplin".  [cool]  Because it was a strong voice and pretty much unique.  Sure, there were many unique sounding voices back then(unlike the '80's hair and spandex "metal" bands that to me, were more plastic than anything.  Well, musically,IMHO, most '80's music was plastic "cookie cutter" tripe).  But john's did kinda stand out more.

Whitefang

22 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

That looks like a great read. 

I was only listening to JF's Blue Moon Stomp album recently, and 'Quiero Creedence' (Latin covers) not long before that. 

My favourite CCR song was always Green River. Its a perfect rock song.

Seemed everyone back in "the day" liked at least ONE Creedence tune.  Me?

My particular favorites are:

PROUD MARY

FORTUNATE SON

WILLY AND THE POOR BOYS

LOOKING OUT MY BACK DOOR.

But not at the negligence of several others.  [wink]

Whitefang

3 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Seemed everyone back in "the day" liked at least ONE Creedence tune.  Me?

My particular favorites are:

PROUD MARY

FORTUNATE SON

WILLY AND THE POOR BOYS

LOOKING OUT MY BACK DOOR.

But not at the negligence of several others.  [wink]

Whitefang

I may have to add some of these songs to my repertoire...but right now I only do "Who Will Stop The Rain".

I've always considered CCR to be the ultimate garage band. I don't mean that in a negative way at all, not trying to say they're amateurs in any way. What I mean is, their songs are mechanically simple... no Beatles chords, elaborate backup, years in the studio and settling for an engineer's mashup of takes 114 and 210. They are songs that three people in the garage HAVE A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE of replicating with Silvertones and 10 watt solid state Ampegs. And there's a good feeling that goes with that.

The day I figured out the opening riff to Green River, I walked on air a little.  The Moody Blues couldn't do that for me.

• Like 2

There's that.  And especially in my band's case, since we were already doing  Dale Hawkins' "Suzy Q"  as part of our "oldies" mix.  Just needed to add an extra note here and there for CCR's version.  [wink]

In an interview with Mary Gross on NPR's "Fresh Air" 'bout a dozen years ago, First thing she asked John Fogerty to say the words, "turn"  and "burn".  [biggrin]  John chuckled, knowing what she was up to and answered;

"You know, when I SAY "turn" and "burn"  they sound like that.  But for some reason, when I SING them they come out "toin"  and "boin".  [laugh]

Whitefang

The first side of "Bayou Country" packs a mighty punch with "Born On The Bayou", "Bootleg" and "Graveyard Train".

NO British singer can do that, or write songs like that.   Just 100% American rock music.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2021 at 9:11 PM, DanvillRob said:

Was reading the Creedence Clearwater Revival Book, "Up Around The Bend" this morning.

It seems John Fogerty was upset that the "San Francisco Sound" of the 60's  was defined as Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Moby Grape,  & Quicksilver Messenger Service, when it should have been defined as, Peter Wheat and the  Breadmen, We Five and Santana!

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'UP BEND AROUND THE Hue oral history of CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL THRISTRO Craig Werner'

May be an image of book

May be an image of text

I really love to read such books, they strongly inspire me to write new music. And this is exactly what I need now! I was given the task of writing music for an alternative version of a performance of Romeo and Juliet. I am trying to find for myself some references in music, I also decided to use this source in order to learn more about the work. Perhaps some of you have already written new music for Romeo and Juliet?

I really love to read such books, they strongly inspire me to write new music. And this is exactly what I need now!

Edited by DenielSetuplet

On 7/21/2021 at 3:39 PM, jdgm said:

The first side of "Bayou Country" packs a mighty punch with "Born On The Bayou", "Bootleg" and "Graveyard Train".

NO British singer can do that, or write songs like that.   Just 100% American rock music.

Man, I don't know. 
Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress always struck me as a CCR song. 

Until I realized it was the Hollies, a British band.

Of course, John Fogerty sued The Hollies and won half the proceeds from the recording for reasons that I can't divine, so.....

I'm gonna shut up now. 

😐

7 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Man, I don't know. 
Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress always struck me as a CCR song. 

Until I realized it was the Hollies, a British band.

Of course, John Fogerty sued The Hollies and won half the proceeds from the recording for reasons that I can't divine, so.....

I'm gonna shut up now. 

😐

i've just had a listen. Now that is a surprise 😮

I never made the connection either.  But you gotta wonder,  given how many singers over the years  sounded "Dylanesque" (some would say Tom Petty was a prime example) why Bob never bothered to sue them as well.   Ah, maybe he figured "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" or something like that. 

If you find out why Fogerty was granted his suit please let us know.

Whitefang

Listening to the two songs backto back, I hear some similarity, but not enough(I think) to grant a lawsuit. 

It's tantamount to The Beatles suing The Knickerbockers.  They didn't of course, but maybe they had more class....

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

• 8 months later...
On 7/17/2021 at 9:11 PM, DanvillRob said:

May be an image of book

May be an image of text

I also want to read this book again now. The last few weeks I have had difficulty reading books, especially fiction and the books I want to read for fun. The fact is that I currently perform a lot of tasks at the university and I am helped in this by the Ghostwriting service, which I learned about on the site https://edubirdie.com/academic-ghostwriting-service This allows me to save my time and free up it for my hobby.

Very cool indeed!

On 7/21/2021 at 3:39 PM, jdgm said:

Centerfield, albeit not a CCR product,  is pure Americana.  Although not the musical genre that has taken on that name.