Gibson Brands Forums

Iron Maiden - The Writing On The Wall

saturn

On 7/18/2021 at 11:12 AM, sparquelito said:

I didn't grow up with Iron Maiden, so I have no history with them. 

I must say though, this is a brilliant song. 
Fantastic!!

😘

Well for me I did kind of grow up wit them but have never been a huge fan... I dip in and out as it were but some of their early stuff is great..  I am not always in the mood for Bruce's  (the singer) vocal style of wailing but I do like the music a lot. Like AC/DC. Metallica etc they have a sound and they very much stick to it (for like the last 35 years or so  🙂  ),

Couple of classic tracks

And they can also be more fun.. This was from their last album Book of Souls

Edited by Rabs

On 7/19/2021 at 2:51 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

I heard it on the radio yesterday.   I used to be really into Iron Maiden - before I started playing guitar.  A few years ago, I re-purchased the 3 classic albums on CDs (from bargain bins).   Listened to them a few times but I just feel like I've "grown up" too much musically.  They brought back some good memories but I can't listen to it seriously anymore.  

My take on this new single:

1.  The formula still works.  As far as songwriting, I would say this is pretty good.   It does sound like it could have been on "Book of Souls".  

2.  Bruce's vocals sound pretty tired.  Those high notes don't sound effortless anymore.   But he's sounding better than a lot of other vocalists in his age group (Dickinson is 62). 

Overall, good for them. I hope they sell some records and make some cash.  

Look at that - we agree 100%:)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/18/2021 at 6:54 PM, saturn said:

I guess not much interest here. But at least Sgt Pepper isn't telling me how much it sucks. [lol]

JK Sarge if you are lurking. 🙂

I love Number, Power Slave and P O M. The last newish stuff I liked was on Brave New World.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I love Number, Power Slave and P O M. The last newish stuff I liked was on Brave New World.

Jeez time flies. The new Iron Maiden is already over a year old. [sad]

If I remember correctly I made that joke because you had just recently "left" the Forum.  🙂

Can't take Dickinson seriously after he grew his hair long when he got the young(ish) girlfriend, after thirty years of short hair, or something... 

I think I may dislike too many people for my own good, but it'd help if most people weren't so crap. 

Edited by Pinch

4 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Can't take Dickinson seriously after he grew his hair long when he got the young(ish) girlfriend, after thirty years of short hair, or something... 

I think I may dislike too many people for my own good, but it'd help if most people weren't so crap. 

What does hair length have to do with singing ability?? 

5 hours ago, Metal Toddz said:

Is it still all 3 guitarists (Murray, Smith, & Gers)?

I just looked at their website and there are 6 people in the band. I know for certain who the drummer, singer, bassist and one guitarist is, so that leaves two left. So my guess is yes they are Lynyrd Skynyrd with 3 axeman.

• 1 month later...