Gibson Brands Forums

Very happy new owner of a Gibson SG

Maple

I've been wanting an SG for some time now. It has a pretty unique tone that you can't really get from a Les Paul or any other Gibson.

I was trying out a bunch and i like the specs on the '61 RI the best, after playing a few i noticed a nice Antique Walnut w/ satin finish '61 for $1399 that the sales person had mentioned to me. they said it was a guitar of the week and only 400 made, it had been sitting there for well over a year. (no wonder why, the strings were really dead, no 'ring'.. just 'plunk'). i asked them to change out the low E so i could hear it was the strings or the guitar that was dead. of course it was just the strings.

so it came home with me! exact same specs as the '61 RI but with a non gloss finish... and after tax it was $500 less than a new '61. Long and McQuade have a 30 day return policy so i figured to take it home and try it out with my other gear... and sure enough with a fresh set of Slinky's it sounds great!

it really is a great playing and sounding guitar!! I spent the weekend trying to get a nice AC/DC tone... i got sorta close to thier Back in Black sound.. but with a bit too much gain. I was playing at home this weekend so i couldn't crank anything.. i was using my Princton Reverb RI and a Crunch Box. i also have a OCD but at lower volumes that things doesn't work for me. may be time to save up for a Marshall....

anyway... very happy to be one of the lucky SG owners!

i'll post some pics tonight

I've been wanting an SG for some time now. It has a pretty unique tone that you can't really get from a Les Paul or any other Gibson.

I was trying out a bunch and i like the specs on the '61 RI the best' date=' after playing a few i noticed a nice Antique Walnut w/ satin finish '61 for $1399 that the sales person had mentioned to me. they said it was a guitar of the week and only 400 made, it had been sitting there for well over a year. (no wonder why, the strings were really dead, no 'ring'.. just 'plunk'). i asked them to change out the low E so i could hear it was the strings or the guitar that was dead. of course it was just the strings.

so it came home with me! exact same specs as the '61 RI but with a non gloss finish... and after tax it was $500 less than a new '61. Long and McQuade have a 30 day return policy so i figured to take it home and try it out with my other gear... and sure enough with a fresh set of Slinky's it sounds great!

it really is a great playing and sounding guitar!! I spent the weekend trying to get a nice AC/DC tone... i got sorta close to thier Back in Black sound.. but with a bit too much gain. I was playing at home this weekend so i couldn't crank anything.. i was using my Princton Reverb RI and a Crunch Box. i also have a OCD but at lower volumes that things doesn't work for me. may be time to save up for a Marshall....

anyway... very happy to be one of the lucky SG owners!

i'll post some pics tonight[/quote']

Very nice, another guy possessed by the little devil :-

Congratulations!!!!

Archived